General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Volume knob for 1997 default Jag stereo - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volume knob for 1997 default Jag stereo - RESOLVED

Hi folks,

It's my first time to post here and I'm an idiot, so bear with me!

I have a '97 Vanden Plas and the guys at the detailing place managed to not only knock the knob off the radio, but lose it as well. I ordered a replacement knob (pictured), but for the life of me I can't figure out how it attaches to the plastic bracket (also pictured). Am I missing something? Is the bracket itself damaged and I don't realize it, or is there another piece I don't have? I stubbornly refuse to pay someone to fix something that seems so simple, yet it doesn't just seem to snap on like I thought it was going to!

Many thanks in advance, and photos below:

Last edited by GGG; 07-10-2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: add RESOLVED to thread title
Old 07-07-2014, 02:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mold-a-RamaGuy,

It looks to me like the peg the knob fits onto is broken off.

Volume knob for 1997 default Jag stereo - RESOLVED-radio.jpg

There should be a peg (arrowed in red) and the hole in the back of the knob (arrrowed in blue) pushes onto it.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-08-2014, 12:58 AM

Interesting--I appreciate for the quick reply (and handy image!), Graham. Is the peg something that's replaceable, or have I crossed into "get a new radio" territory? A cursory search for a "radio knob peg" isn't yielding me much online, but that doesn't mean much.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 AM
GGG

The peg is part of the ON/OFF switch so you're looking for a complete switch.

The knob is only removed to be able to take the faceplate off when dismantling the radio head unit. You could probably superglue it onto the base but it would mean the radio could never be disassembled. If you do, make sure the notches in the base and the knob (arrowed in red) line up.

Volume knob for 1997 default Jag stereo - RESOLVED-radio-2.jpg

One of the experts in the Audio/Visual Electronics - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum forum may know where to source a replacement ON/OFF switch or how to repair the peg. It can't be that unusual to have one break off.

Graham

Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Having just recently sent a spare knob off to a fellow member stateside, I think what went missing on your radio is the black "outer cover" for the knob assembly. Try prising the opaque/white plastic assembly off the shaft on the radio and I suspect that the replacement knob will just slide on to the splined shaft, which will then be exposed.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (07-10-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 PM

sogood, your name is appropriate: You nailed it.

I'd previously tried to pull that plastic assembly off with my fingers, and when it showed no signs of moving I chickened out and left it alone. But based on your post I used some pliers and forced it, and once removed the knob went right on the post. Fixed! Now I'm mad at myself for putting up with it for six months and not posting on here sooner.

Thanks to everyone! My next project is solving the classic "squeaking belt when I start the car" problem, so I'm sure I'll be starting a new thread soon...

Old 07-10-2014, 02:35 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Mold-a-RamaGuy
sogood, your name is appropriate: You nailed it. ......... Thanks to everyone! My next project is solving the classic "squeaking belt when I start the car" problem, so I'm sure I'll be starting a new thread soon...
Good to hear you've got it fixed. I've added RESOLVED to your thread title to help anyone searching for the solution to the same issue in future.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Default Jaguar xk8 1997 on/off volume knob

I read this with interest because my local car wash sucked the ON/OFF volume knob from the radio of my beautifully restored 1997 XK8 coupe and I am having great difficulty finding a replacement. Where did you find yours?

Joe M. Los Angeles

Old 10-22-2015, 02:30 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by fjoem
I read this with interest because my local car wash sucked the ON/OFF volume knob from the radio of my beautifully restored 1997 XK8 coupe and I am having great difficulty finding a replacement. Where did you find yours?

Joe M. Los Angeles
Welcome to the forum Joe,

The OP Mold-a-RamaGuy hasn't been back on the forum since July 2014. You could get a better response by posting the question in XK8/XKR tech forum.

Graham

Old 10-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Default Still here!

Hey Joe --

I submitted a parts request on Auto Parts Fair and someone had it. Here's the URL:

Used Auto Parts Locator - Used Car / Truck Parts Dealers, Auto Salvage Yards

The one I got was in such good shape I'm not even sure it was actually used. There may be a comparable modern knob that fits and I was just overcharged for it--either way it worked and I'm happy with it!

Good luck!