Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

What to use to keep wood detailed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtalkradio
Yes. It is Nitrocellulose Lacquer.
Umm, not on your Jaguar it isn't.

On very early cars (1950s / 60s), it is a Shellac derivative (French Polish) but on the modern cars it is polyester.

But all the advice on how to care for the clear finish has been great so far.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM

If it's a nitro finish were talking about try guitar polish. Martin is what I use on all my nitro finished guitars.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM

But it's not a nitro finish. . . ?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the Scott's Liquid Gold. Great stuff!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Great info, off to buy some liquid gold

Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Have not posted in years, but wood is something I know a little about. No it is not Nitrocellulose, that (or a modified version) was last used in the early 70's. With the intoduction of the S2 XJ6/12, Polyester has been used. A good quality car polish and microfiber cloth is all you need to maintain the shine.

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (11-14-2012)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand that the wood is protected with an overcoat, but isn't most of our household wood as well? I'm going to try Weiman Furniture Wipes, what my furniture restorer recommends, on a small, less visible part to see how it works. What I love about this stuff is that it is in Kleenex-sized disposable wipes that can get into small areas without worrying about overspray or dealing with repeatedly spraying a cloth. I will then use a microfiber towel to wipe off the excess.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by VisaDiva
I understand that the wood is protected with an overcoat, but isn't most of our household wood as well? I'm going to try Weiman Furniture Wipes, what my furniture restorer recommends, on a small, less visible part to see how it works. What I love about this stuff is that it is in Kleenex-sized disposable wipes that can get into small areas without worrying about overspray or dealing with repeatedly spraying a cloth. I will then use a microfiber towel to wipe off the excess.
You won't hurt it a bit is my opinion. But penetrating oils of any kind are pretty irrelevant to polyester/polyurethane coatings. As far as your question, household wood is traditionally not typically thus coated with the standout exception of hardwood flooring which generally has two or three coats of polyurethane for the sake of durability.

That said, most of my furniture (and wood trim) is very old and more recently polyurethane 'varnishes' have largely replaced older finishes (wax, shellac, lacquer) on furniture and even stained (not painted) household woodwork.

If you haven't seen authentic French Polish (mentioned upthread) on antique furniture, you haven't yet lived! But I'm old-fashioned, I love the smell of linseed oil too Name:  icon_smile_tongue.gif
Views: 496
Size:  234 Bytes

Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Believe it or not - I use Armor All Gel- rub it in with microfiber towel. I let it dry and buff it out with clean micofiber- looks great

Last edited by obriendob; 02-22-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use a good caranuba wax. Looks great.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:13 PM

what is sure to cause trouble at 125.000 on my 2005 jaguarxj8l

Old 07-24-2014, 01:24 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

This might be helpful:

How To: Polishing Wood Trim - Chemical Guys Car Care BMW E39 Porter Cable

Old 08-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Wood detailing

I have not had my 2004 XKR all that long, but my father was a long time Martin and Gibson guitar owner and was always fastidious in the maintenance of his guitars. After his passing I found several spray cans if Martin's guitar polish and put them away to save. After reading articles here on maintaining my Jaguar I recalled the guitar polish and figured if it was good enough for Martin it would be good for Jaguar too. It works great with no smell and gives the wood a fantastic finish. I really noticed the difference when I used it on the wood around the power controls in the doors. They had not been as well maintained and were not as nice as the rest of the wood. After using the guitar polish on them it brought both the shine and depth back to them. I plan on keeping using the guitar polish, but am still concerned as I doubt there is any UV protection in it. I just finished waxing the car with the Chemical Guys Lave Luminous Glow Infusion Wax which is supposed to have a UV protection in it. I am going to check with them and maybe test it on wood first. I know it works wonders on the paint. My XKR is quartz metallic and had a great shine when I bought it. however after using the Lava wax the paint became much deeper and had a larger change of color under different light and angles.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:14 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I use Lysol all purpose cleaner! Works really well to keep the wood clean, and shiny!

Old 08-06-2015, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

My personal favourite is bees wax. Used it for years now and always enjoyed the shine and smell when done.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I learned from my Dad a guitarist

My father was a stickler for taking care of his Gibson guitars. So I always use their guitar way. If it worked so well for him all those years. Keeping them so good they were worth 30 times what he originally paid for them, it is good enough and safe enough for me.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:24 AM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Multiple coats of Pinnacle Souveran Wax will make it look wet and glossy.

The following users liked this post:
pologuy (10-19-2019)
Old 09-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Individuals all have their own theories about the best products to use on the wood (just as with leather care) but reading this thread is alternately amusing and frightening: Armorall? Silicone should not be used anywhere except on rubber trim. Lysol cleaner? Unless your Jaguar does double duty as a bathroom...
The beautiful wood in our Jaguars (and it is wood, and Jaguars all have real leather unlike the Mercedes whose "Artico Leather" is vinyl...) is, as others have said, protected by an impermeable coating so using a furniture polish designed to "feed" the wood is an exercise in futility and in many cases simply leads to an initial shine that turns cloudy and greasy.
Think of it this way: the wood has a clear coat on it exactly as the exterior paint does! So, how do you protect the paint from UV damage and at the same time give it a brilliant shine? You WAX it, and the better the wax (always carnauba) the better and deeper the shine. If the wood has not been properly cared for, then just as paint in the same situation, it needs to be polished first. Polish and wax are not the same thing. Polish removes a thin layer of the finish, eliminating scratches. Wax coats the finish and in the case of the best carnauba waxes (Victoria Wax is my choice) the wax fills in the inevitable microscratches. The finish will be impeccable, deep, shiney, smooth, UV resistant and will need nothing more than an occasional light wipe with a good microfibre cloth. Credentials for saying this? Restoration of more than 20 Jaguars from the 60's to the 2000's.
WAX, wax, wax...and you can do it as often as you like; if it is a good wax (not a wax with cleaning abrasive in it) then the more coats you put on, the deeper the finish.