Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

X-Type Contour SVT Motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Aku
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Type Contour SVT Motor Swap

Kicking around the idea of possibly picking up an X-Type.

Since basically the 2.5 and 3.0 blocks are Ford blocks has anybody ever considered or done a Contour SVT motor swap or anything of that nature.

If I ever did get an X-Type my plan would be to source a Ford 3L bottom end and put the Contour SVT heads and intake on it and drop it into the X-Type. Seems to me it shouldn't be all that entirely difficult but maybe I'm missing something.

Just figured I'd pick some Jag enthusiast brains on this one.

Thanks.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

What is the point? The SVT is a 195hp setup and the 3.0 X-Type has basically the "SVT-like" tuning by default to make 227hp. I don't think adding half a liter displacement to the SVT motor will outdo the 32 extra hp you just get normally from a 3.0 X-Type motor and the trouble to engineer for the different components is not worth it.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Aku

I dunno. I've seen a lot of people on the conti forums doing 3L swaps in the SVT's.. Maybe I'm a bit under informed as I haven't dont a bunch of research into things that would need to be custom made, or the amount of power gains that came out of it. Plus doing a quick autotrader/cl search its almost impossible to find a 3L x-type in a 5-spd for sale. Maybe buying a 2.5 and just doing a stock 3l swap would be the easiest.

Just trying to gather information and thoughts and what not if I do end up eventually getting myself an x-type of what kinda of things I could do for it.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Aku, not a terribly intelligent thing to do and a retrograde step.

I know alot of Blue oval boys worship anything Ford makes and look down their noses at anything from the leaper (I'm coming across this right now in Michigan with Ford retirees) but the reality is that the Ford V6 cylinder head doesn't flow as well, even the SVT one, the valvetrain is roller finger follower with higher valvetrain inertia, the included valve angle is much larger (something like 50 degrees) which leads to a slower burn and the cylinder heads themselves are bigger than the Jag units.
The Jag units also have variable cam phasing as standard.

I was contacted by the SVT/Ford team when the Jag heads were released for them to try to glean ideas.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Aku, it seems like you should define what you want in terms of performance first. Maybe if we know that we can help a bit more.
Coming from somebody who has done the 3L swap into an SVT Contour I can say that the Jag engine is on par with anything that can be done there. My particular engine had almost 11:1 compression, the heads were massaged and larger valves installed. With a higher redline I was putting out 203hp at the front wheels. If you're serious about performance I would say start with a 3L X and experiment with that.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by exexpat
What is the point? The SVT is a 195hp setup and the 3.0 X-Type has basically the "SVT-like" tuning by default to make 227hp. I don't think adding half a liter displacement to the SVT motor will outdo the 32 extra hp you just get normally from a 3.0 X-Type motor and the trouble to engineer for the different components is not worth it.
Well, I have a 3L svt with a few other mods and no, it doesn't "outdo" an X in horsepower numbers, but I suspect with its lighter weight, the svt can keep up with an X on the road or at autocross. I'm currently looking for an X-type as well and can't wait to compare the ride to my svt.