Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

4.2L S/C to LR3 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2L S/C to LR3 conversion

Brilliant thread.

I'm investigating on how to install the 4.2 supercharged engine from a Range Rover into an LR3. Reason being my 4.4 is broken beyond repair and I have a 4.2 s/c offered at a good price!

So, I know physically the engine would fit, but my worry was the install of the electronics and ecu? Ideally the s/c ECU would be used because of maf sensors etc, but the wiring wouldn't be there on my loom. Also I was thinking about ECU and immobiliser not matching? Are they linked to the car?

Would my normally aspirated loom run the supercharged engine ok? How about if I upgraded to a twinscrew kit?

I would love a solution like this xk8 to xkr for my LR3.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Old 06-20-2015, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

You'll need all the ECUs relating to the 4.2, and overall it may be way too much work to do.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:43 AM

Yeah I'm fine with that, ECU and loom can be found for not too much money.

My main concern is if the ECU is matched to the key and immobiliser, in which case it would be a nightmare!

Old 06-21-2015, 03:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,
I have add SC to the NA engine. I`m using original ECU that mach all the car components - immobiliser, autotransmission and many more thinks...
I have just different (XKR) injectors. To have the right fuel/petrol mixture I have added piggyback device.
I m not sure if it`s possieble just to change the ecu. In my opinion it will not work.

Another interesting thread is here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...k-4-2-a-23763/
But take a note that people are using original ECUs.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:14 AM

What ecu are you using to piggyback with?

Are there any other electrical connections required on the supercharger?

I'm thinking if I use the low compression supercharger engine then it would work with that piggyback ecu you have?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

They are matched, so as I put you'll need (near enough) all of them - including ABS, ICM, RECM and so on I think you'll find.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's no problem to clone your 4.4 immobilizer and build data into the 4.2 ecu. I would do that for you if you'd like. I think the mechatronic will be the main hurdle. The programming is MUCH different between the NA 6hp26 and the SC version. As long as the final drive ratios are the same between the LR3 and RR, I don't see why swapping the SC mecha wouldn't work.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:22 AM

Sounds promising.

I have a supercharged ecu, from a different car to the one the S/c engine and loom come from.

What would you need to clone the s/c ecu? My key fob or something?

Interesting point regarding the gearbox, I had hoped to just plug into my system, but if I need to swap over the mechatronic units then that's no big deal.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:32 AM

I'd need your LR3 ecu and the supercharged one

Old 06-26-2015, 03:56 AM

Brilliant, as long as it you couldn't do it then my ecu would still work!

Old 06-27-2015, 03:36 AM

There is no risk to yours, or the donor ecu. It is a very non invasive procedure that I have done 100's of times

Old 06-27-2015, 09:30 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I've moved this topic into it's own thread.

Very interesting project, it'd be great if you could see it through.

There's a few other things to consider, it's not just the ECU.

From which model is your donor engine? Early 4.2L S/C engines did not have VVT (pre 2006 S-Type R, XJR) but the Range Rovers did. There are also differences between the Jag and RR versions in the pulley setup, front timing case, sump, etc.

Also the 4.2L from the XKR is a completely different intake setup, you need the S-Type, XJ, XF version as used on the RRs.

Good that you have the wiring loom from the donor S/C as there are additional sensors used on the S/C which won't be there on a N/A loom (IAT2 / TMAP, etc).

Some other things to keep in mind;

You need the intercooler system; heat exchanger & pump, and hoses

The S/C engines in Jags have dual fuel pumps, whereas the N/A are a single, not sure if that's exactly the same with the Range Rover but at the very least you should check for the differences in the fuel supply system. A single N/A pump will probably not keep up the required flow. The twin S/C pumps in the Jags run 180L/hr, the single N/A 120L/hr.

The 6HP transmissions and torque converters are also different. I would think that a N/A could survive behind a S/C, but if you are too hard on it, it may not hold up.

Since the L319 LR3 and L320 RRS are essentially the same electronic platform, it would be possible to reprogram the L319 into thinking it's actually an L320. Not straight forward, but it's doable.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:17 AM

Thanks cambo.

Ddillinger, could I ask a bit more info, as I'm wary about sending my two ecu a half way round the world!

How is it done? What tool is used to do it? How long would it take? Would we know it was successful so that I wouldn't be buying and installing an s/c engine just to find out when turning the key that none of it works? And, how much would it cost to do this?

PM me if you'd prefer.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2015, 03:34 AM

I will address your questions in the order in which they were posted:

How is it done?
-With a standard chipreader and SOIC-8 testclip

What tool is used to do it?
-In my case, a Mcumall GQ4x

How long would it take?
-5 minutes, give or take.

Would we know it was successful so that I wouldn't be buying and installing an s/c engine just to find out when turning the key that none of it works?
-Yes, I have done this in my own personal car. Just a matter of copying the eeprom from one ecu to another.

And, how much would it cost to do this?
-Just whatever it costs to ship it.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:13 AM

Thanks for that.

I see from your previous posts you certainly know what your talking about.

So in reading my 4.4 ecu, there's no risk to damaging it?

Is there a way, by means of a screenshot or something, to be absolutely certain that the immobiliser codes are cloned to the s/c ecu. I would be investing around $10k into this and just couldn't proceed if the car didn't start and it all had to be stripped out again.

I'm still slightly nervous about sending two ecus half way round the world.

Thanks for all your responses so far.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:18 AM
Default 4.2L S/C to LR3 conversion

What do you mean by half way round the world? Where are you located? (It's missing from your profile)

Old 06-30-2015, 05:30 AM

Ah I see.

I'm in the UK.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:39 AM

Right, ok I guess we were all thinking you were in the US, since you called it a LR3, not a Disco 3...

It is also possible to reflash the ECU without having to pull it from the vehicle, if you have the right equipment.
Could probably set yourself up for £300-£400 to do it properly, if you have a spare laptop; with a genuine MongoosePro interface, and IDS/SDD software, you would need some help to do it, but that's what the forums are for

Honestly if I were to be undertaking a conversion such as this, i'd want to have the gear to do the electronic side of things myself.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:25 AM

Apologies, I referred to the car as LR3 just because that's what it's known as in the U.S.

I have spoken to the guys at a LR diagnostics company, who say it could be reprogrammed but the results would only be known at he point of tuning the key, which is way too late having put much hours and funds to get to that point.

I know what your saying regarding having the gear, and I'm likely to need some diagnostic equipment to clear codes etc once the car is all complete anyhow.
Hmmm, what to do!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:48 AM

Right, I'm going for it, I'll have the 4.4 ecu out at the weekend and the two of them in the post next week. Pm me your address details.

Quick Reply: 4.2L S/C to LR3 conversion