Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

AJ-V8 timing chain kits.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts
Default AJ-V8 timing chain kits.

Topic: Available Timing Chain Kits for the various versions of the AJ-V8

I searched most of the Model forums and the Engine and Transmission postings looking for better information on timing chain kits and timing chain cover gasket kits.
I found a few interesting posts about replacing the timing chains and tensioners, but very little on what kits are for sale and whether or not they are good quality.
I purchased a timing chain kit a year and a half ago from Amazon for $245 that was supposed to be OEM equivalent. I have used this kit on my refresh engine build and am looking for another kit for my 4.8L build. It appears that the kit I purchased now costs $350 and I can only find the brand listed in one place.
This is the information I would like to gather in this post:
• Available manufacturers and/or brands of timing chain kits.
• If anyone knows if they are high quality and where they are manufactured.
• If the same kit fits all: 4.0 AJ-26 and AJ-27, AJ-33 and AJ34, Rover 4.2 and 4.4, Lincoln 3.9L. (Even though they list what looks like the same kit pictorially, they often have different P/Ns for different versions of the engine.)

Terminology I’ve found for the kits and timing chain/tensioner parts:

• OEM – Original manufacturer – usually from dealer
• OEM Equivalent – Supposedly aftermarket that meet the OEM Specification
• Equivalent replacement - Fits the same, but how long it lasts is unknown?
• Meets or exceed OE specifications. How do they know what the original specification is? Reads like marketing mumbo jumbo to me.

KitsAs far as I can tell, the dealers don’t offer one kit, you have to purchase the parts individually to build up your own kit.

W0133-1895189 Eurospare - Often listed as OEM equivalent.
TK10570 – CNS engine parts.
TK4163 - DNJ Engine Components – 1 year 12K mileage warranty
TK4162 - DNJ Engine Components 2000-2001 3.9 Lincoln? – 1 year 12K mileage warranty

As far as I can tell, Eurospare, CNS and DNJ are all large distributors not manufacturers.
Is everyone sourcing their parts from the same supplier? If yes, who is this?

Thanks.
I hope to collect some good detailed information in this thread.

Last edited by Tijoe; 02-26-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: correct spelling
The following users liked this post:
cyber3d (04-21-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

To maximize certainty OE or OEM is usually the way to go. I have used a lot of DNJ engine parts, while not as nice as OEM they usually work just fine; never tied any on a jaguar only OE/OEM engine parts and gaskets. Early 98-02.5 ajv8's used primary roller chains, 2002.5+ used moorse chain. If you compare the DNJ kits, primary chains are different, thus P/N's different.