Jaguar Engines & transmissions Discuss performance / modifications / upgrades etc here..

Break in for F type SVR

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Break in for F type SVR

Posted this in F type forum but thought it could be more appropriate here...

I am a new owner of an F type SVR!

I don't want this to become a thread about proper break-in procedure which has been debated since Paleolithic times.

Here's the info I have:

1. the owner's manual literally says not a single word about engine break in. Nothing. Not mentioned at all. By contrast, Porsche owner manual is very specific and detailed about engine break in.

2. General manager at my Jaguar dealer says that he asked his Jaguar rep and was told there is a 1,000 mile break-in period.

3. According to the rep, this break-in period doesn't require any modifications to driving habits, but rather is an adaptation period for the car to learn my driving habits.

4. Being skeptical, I asked him to dig deeper into the matter. ARE YOU SURE? Because I want to drive the snot out of this lovely car but not to its detriment. He said the Jaguar rep emailed the Jaguar engineering department to get a more concrete answer.

5. GM got back to me again and said I can drive the car how I want. Not sure if that came from JLR or what.

So here I am; stuck in this weird place, not knowing what to do. I am slightly inclined to believe the GM since the owner manual says ZILCH about this. They are typically quite elaborate.

Someone more knowledgeable than me... please help.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

email or call jag corp if you really think it might be necessary. I doubt it is. If it were my car the thing I would avoid would be too much driving at a constant speed but I doubt even that matters. Engines are made far better nowadays.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah. That's what my GM did. I'll email them but I expect to get an unclear answer.

I think I'm going to take it easy for the first few hundred miles and then just drive it normally.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

we use the principle ,"break them in slow,they will be slow"

" break them in fast they will be fast"