Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS
View Poll Results: Do you want this new Sub Forum - Major Repair Issues?
Yes
73.33%
No
26.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

What are the 10 top Repair Issues for Jaguar XJ8 & XJR?".

Old 10-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default What are the 10 top Repair Issues for Jaguar XJ8 & XJR?".

The objective of this new Sub Forum would be to provide a list of these known major repair items with summaries/links to a few articles about them.
The idea here is to have this information in one place on the Forum that will give owners and prospective buyers the Known Major repair issues about a particular Jaguar model.

The information detail will be limited. It will provide the starting point to have owners and buyers to do their own further searches using the issue’s information supplied on this Sub Forum.

The new Sub Forum would:
1) be a read only format (this will ensure the Known Major Repair issues information is not lost in a sea of other items of interest)
2) be only updated when new Major issues arise
3) include major mechanical defects for each Jaguar model series
4) give summary description of the issue and a few links to articles
about the issue
5) include possible other damage if issue is not discovered and
repaired

The new Sub Forum might save owners and prospective owners that have Jaguar warrantees or extended warrantees the cost of repairing these issues or more damages caused by these issues.

Looking for your input about having this new Forum and want you give a yes or no in the poll about creating it.

If the New Forum is created, members could contribute to it in the future using this thread. Information gathered on this tread would be reviewed and evaluated before it was used to update an existing read-only thread on the new Sub Forum.

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-07-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: changed buyer to buyers also changed "before it was added" to "before it is used to update existing read-only thread".
The following users liked this post:
Barton Logan (01-04-2011)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Default Try a simple search using "major repair"

I tried the string "major repair" (make sure you surround the string with ") using the advance search for all forums. The search resulted in just 29 items. The first item was this thread. This is because it is the most recent thread.The next 15 were from this current year, then 5 from 2009, then 4 from 2008 and 3 from 2007. Here are a total of 580 posts to look through among this search result.
This was a really simple search request that gave too many posts to look through.
If this Sub Forum was there, the search results would be probably 16 or less items and 16 or less posts for this search request within this Sub Forum.
I am just trying to illustrate why I think it is important to think seriously about this new Sub Forum.

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-06-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: changed probably 1 to 16 or less
Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Default Also tried same search on just XK8 & XKR Forum

This search on the XK8 &XKR Forum using the search string "major repair" gave a result of 110 posts to look through.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Default Using search strings with major repair items identified

If you have a list of known major repair issues then you have an excellent chance to find out more about them either here on the Forums or on a search on the entire internet. First you have to know what search string to use to find the right search results.

Using internet search on "known XJ8 Problems" will certaintly gave you information about the secondary timing chain tensioners that you may not have known about. This search brought an excellent article from Jaguar Clubs of America about the tensioners.

Using search string "Nicasil Engine" in the Jaguar XJ8 & Jaguar XJR Forum gave just 22 posts to view. One of the post gave a very good pre-purchase checklist. The others posts also gave very good advice.

The search string "pre-purchase" in the Jaguar KX8 & KXR Forum gave a list of 6 threads and a total of 149 posts to review. The thread listed "I need some advice" does mention Nicasil Engine and the tensioners problems (#8 reply post).

A search for "gearbox fault" in Jaguar XJ8 & Jaguar XJR Forum resulted in a list of 16 threads and 130 posts (that includes the original thread posts and all the reply posts). Here again there is a lot of excellent information in these posts. The only problem is if you do not know to search for "gearbox fault" you do not have a good chance to find out about this problem before you actually have it. Also other damage that might occur if you continue to drive the car without repairing it.

These are examples of trying to find Jaguar Major Repair items any where on the Forums and on the internet. It seems that there is no place where one can find all the known major repairs in one article or in one spot.

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-07-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: changed "a spot" to "one spot" - added section on gearbox fault
Old 10-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I reckon it makes more sense for any such information to be in the appropriate car forum, preferably as part of the FAQ. That's where people will find them / want to refer other people to.

E.g. the S-Type probably needs a note on ZF 6HP26 problems (lurch, "sealed for life" hahaha, etc). Another example would be the coolant hose under the SC (supercharger). I'm not mentioning the DCCV as it's arguably not major. D'oh.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

Here again the only problem in putting it in Frequently Asked Questions is that the Major Repair issues get lost within all the other threads within the Frequently Asked Questions.
My main concern that this infomation be placed somewhere it can be easily found and used.
Also only read-only threads would be in it. Not like all the other forums that have tons of replies in them.

Please read my other posts in this tread (#1 thru #4).
Thanks for looking.

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-07-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Jim, we've already addressed your interest via PMs by each of the moderators and the admin as to why we think, that although it would be a good resource, it will not be something we implement forumwide. A subsection of the forum where 'Serious Mechanical Repair Issues' is both ambigous (what constitues major? is it cost? is it the potential/inherent danger with failure?) and does not lend itself easily to locate amongst the various models, years, etc., which would require sub-sub sections...just like our current tree structure. With your subforum you are trying to establish, not only will these 'major repair' topics for the s-types be linked in the respective FAQ thread, which requires the most maintenance and constant updates amongst all the forum, it will likely be in a separate thread started by a member (to which we already reference/link in the FAQ) and then placed in this new sub-forum. The fewer places to place good, relevant information...the better.

If you are so adamant about trying something like this, here is my recommendation to you. Start a thread in either a particular model sub-section, or even under General Tech Help. You then can compile all the information you would like and edit/modify/enlarge your own post and thread. In time, you're thread may be worthy of being linked in the FAQ lists, especially if it contains significantly more information that is within those lists already.

My vote has been added.

A better idea is to rename the FAQ thread, perhaps changing to "Model Specific Information, 'Hot Topics & Links', DIY Maintenance, and Required Owner Reading" . FAQ itself may appear to general and obtuse today, almost overused and thereby overlooked.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  19.3 KB

Ok Jim...where to start?

Firstly, as I said in my pm I'm appreciative of your enthusiasm on this topic and feel that you could offer something to the forum for sure.

I don't think we will be creating any sub forums however and intend to keep the forum as tight and tidy as possible. The info you suggest I'm sure is there in the many different sections, as you say, it may be a little longer to search for though!
We will endeavour to improve as we go on this.
Perhaps as more or less stated a link within the FAQ thread for each section summarising this basic info could be the way forward and helpful.

I've left your posts on this subject in the general tech help section AND the help n suggestion centre. The many duplicated posts into all the other sections though have been deleted.
Furthermore, 4 or 5 posts in succession could be considered as post whoring and is frowned upon.
I do hope your poll goes well and to a degree affirm that we could try to make the info more easily accessible ( this we try to do as often / whenever we can ) however, I'm not in agreement with the sub forum culture and won't impliment it.

Perhaps, you could try to collate some of the info for a certain model and post as h20boy says into your own topic, calling it whatever you think appropriate.....If this as you say very beneficial with all the info you say, this would of course remain in its own thread and FAQ'd and added to the FAQ section for all to see. This would be an excellent example to show what you think you could achieve. If successful this could of course be mirrored in every section.
As you have stated, these would be "read only" threads to negate the dilution that occurs with many replies

In short I will say no to sub forums but a definite yes to allowing information to be more accessible by all

Thanks

Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

As I have already said in my PM's on this subject, the information is in the FAQs and we are continuously working to improve and keep them up to date.

If we are missing something major, then please let us know and as, you are aware we will and do look into it.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default response to last reply post

JimC
Hi Jim
Thank you your most pm on this subject. I understand your point of view about using the FAQ's to have these summaries I was trying to establish. I will not push for the Sub Form anymore that I was requesting. I will try to establish summaries as a thread (that hopefully will not have any reply posts attached to it) within the Jaguar model Forums using FAQ posts method.

I do think that H2boy (Matt) does not understand what I am trying to accomplish here. I am not suggesting that this summary information will have links to all the related posts within any of the forums. Therefore there would not be any duplication of what is already on the forums. The summary information would at least give a starting point on what to use as a search request to find more about major issues of the vehicles either here on the forums or on the internet.

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-07-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  19.3 KB

Jim, thanks for the post.
I believe that in essence what you may be trying to achieve could prove very useful to the forum, but would like to see "evidence" or a sample, if you will of what you mean. Its entirely possible that if it proves as helpful as it seems that we could certainly incorporate it into the forum......Anything that helps to improve the forum / searches etc is always welcomed.
I'm glad that we haven't disheartened you by what you seem to be trying to achieve. Please let us know and keep us informed of any progress you may make in your findings and resat assured that if we can help you, to help us, we will.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like the major repairs vary so widely, based on model and vintage.....Might these issues be better addressed model by model?

Old 10-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, you are right Bloweraddict.
It looks like it maybe should become a sticky post in each of the various Jaguar series sections. First I will try to come up with what would be included in the summary post.

Major items could be defects that have a history of being are either very expensive to repair or that could cause a serious accident.

I like to have a formatted post in the various Jaguar series sections that is organized by model series, then the defect (ie Engine - Secondary Tensioners as an example), the typical cost range or description of the safety issue (problem could also be both cost and safety) and the frequency of the issue, then production years effected/Vin # range (also might have a keyword tags to use in a tag seach to bring up pertinent posts that give more information on each of the stated issues such as costs, safety issues, DIY instructions, etc).

This would involve a team of members that would identify these pertinent posts and give them the appropiate keyword tag name. We would have to create a keyword tag name scheme that will be unique and would be only used on these pertinent posts that have been identifed. We would have to be careful to make sure we tag only the posts that are relevant to the issue rather than all the posts within a particular thread.

There is a long statement below, I would like to be more brief (you can read it if you like to read all the details).

Here is the brief statement - I had the rest of Jaguar warrantee on our car (2 years) when we bought our Jaguar and I purchase another vendor's warrantee after it expired (another 4 years for $2500). If I had known about the major repairs I would have paid for the major repair item inspection within warrantee period and had the repair paid for by the warrantee company. Also I would not have suffered the mechanical breakdown (restricted performance) on the thruway.

Now is there any other major repair/safety items I still do not know about (Throttle Body, etc?).

Here is the long statement.
The reason I requested that this summary information be represented somewhere on the forum is my own recent experience with our 2001 XJ8.

I have always had this serviced by Jaguar. I always asked about major repair items about my 2 cars during the routine service (such as a Timing belt replacement or in this case Timing chains). I believe in preventive maintenance. When I asked about any replacements to the timing chain, our local Jaguar service clerk responded no problem with chains, but might need chain tensioners repair. Also there would be sounds that would warn us that there is a problem. Sounded like no big deal. No mention that maybe the engine might be destroyed.

Anyway 2 months ago, one of secondary chain tensioners cracked and broke into pieces. The chain jumped one notch over where it should be and the 4 cylinders on that side on the engine shutdown on the thruway.

2 weeks after that was repaired the car suddenly stopped with a grinding noise and the speedometer display had "gearbox fault". The transmission needed to be rebuilt.
These were major repair issues on this Jaguar model and we should have received information about the potiential problems from our Jaguar service.

Before I purchase this Jaguar I talked a family friend who was a Jaguar dealership saleperson. He said there were no problems with that Jaguar model. We bought this car at the Major Auto Auction in PA. It just came off a Ford lease and had only 17000 miles on it. My son was in the Auto Sales business, now is the sales manager in a Major Truck business .

The car had 90,000 miles on it when this happened.

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-11-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added more text
Old 11-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Default See New webpages I created for Summary Info

You need to look at the information below in order to view the webpages.
Here is the link to the post in Jaguar XJ8 and XJR section:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=
272053#post272053/

Please post your replies here on this thread.

I am trying not to dilute the thread in Jaguar XJ8 and XJR section.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 11-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.