Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Center Need help with Jaguar Forums? Ask here! Have a suggestion to help improve Jaguar Forums? Tell us here....THIS SECTION IS NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS

*** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***

Old 02-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default *** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***

Please note my two posts in Australia - QLD regional forum, under my new thread of "MY1995 BRG XJR for sale in Boonah". Car images on my laptop are correct orientation. My first attempt in attaching them to post #1 saw them all inverted, both as thumbnails and also when clicked full screen.

In desperation, I inverted all my original images . . . only to find that, when attached to post #2, they are still inverted. What gives?

Ken

Old 02-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hmmmm thinking it's operator error here Ken

As 01xjr was able to post them ok, then you posted some other pics of which some were fine, I think that has to be the conclusion lol
If you do need us to look deeper into it, then please let us know......resolved for now?

Jim

Old 02-22-2017, 08:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,748 Likes on 12,141 Posts

Ken,

Your a victim of technology. See my explanation in your thread.

Graham

Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jim & Graham,
Not sure of explanation so will re-check all and try again at thread.

Need to resolve . . . and putting aside senior's moments, I can't explain why all my other images work . . . but not these three. Will advise . . .

Regards,

Ken

Old 02-24-2017, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmmm??? Posting my feedback here, rather than clutter up thread, but Graham, I can't get your explanation there to resolve the problem . . .

Phone, yes, but another's dreaded Apple iPhone . . . and you are absolutely correct . . . just tried pics of new granddaughter (also iPhone) and all these also display incorrectly . . . this time some rotated 90; some inverted.

Just to reiterate, all these images which have been saved from emails onto my laptop, all display locally in correct orientation - but not on JF. Why should they display correctly on my laptop but not once attached on JF? If I then use Paint . . . they already display correctly on my laptop . . . but if I rotate or invert, then save as you suggested on my laptop, regardless of final orientation on laptop ALL appear incorrectly in JF.

On the other hand, all the hundreds of pics I have taken on my Samsung S5 android phone or android tablet, whether shot as portrait, landscape, or even upside down and the many, many more from my digital camera. . . all display correctly on both my laptop and also correct once attached into JF. Stupid *#@!#@!%!! Apples!!!

Graham, I understand your point about attribute but can't find one specific to orientation in image file properties - just a generic "Attribute - A".

Having noted your correct display of one of my pics, I have simple questions . . . did you need to alter my pic or did it open correctly . . . if you used Paint as you suggest, did it open in Paint as inverted, and then you flipped?

Baffled,

Ken

Old 02-24-2017, 05:33 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I don't know why this happens, but it happens to me sometimes as well. Not just here on this forum but also in gmail, and other places too.

Only pictures taken by iPhones, not all of them, just some of them.

Can't help i'm afraid, but it not just you, happens to other people as well.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

PRAAAAISE DE LORD!!! Cameron, you are a lifesaver for my sanity . . .

I was just telling these lovely men in the white jackets . . . that computers are very logical trustworthy beasties . . . I mean they have sent men to the moon . . . and several of my Jaguars out and about the New England region . . . but I can now confirm that this odd behaviour is happening with ALL my images taken on a variety of 5 different iPhones and sent to me as email attachments . . . and NOT A SINGLE ONE of my android generated images.

Not that you can tell from the same images on any of my devices here, whether laptops or otherwise . . . only misbehaving once attached to JF posts.

Jim, Graham . . . this is definitely NOT resolved.
Cheers,

Ken

Old 02-25-2017, 03:14 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Ken, I saved your pictures from the thread then viewed them in the Pictures folder an my PC, rotated them with the tools at bottom of the screen then reposted them and they appeared correct way up.
Maybe in future if you have this problem again you could save the pictures off the forum thread and rotate them in your pictures folder then go back and edit the thread with the new images, not really a fix but it works.
Too late for this time since your editing time has run out.

*** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***-img_7429.jpg*** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***-img_7430.jpg*** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***-img_7431.jpg

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
this is definitely NOT resolved.
Cheers,

Ken
I think you are right on the money there Ken, that elusive BRG XJR has just fallen in your lap after you shelled out the coin on the XJS & S3.

......just give me the guys number, it might fit in where young Ed has taken the wife's Jeep as his birthright.(only 40 minutes away.)

Last edited by o1xjr; 02-25-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member

Yep Clarke . . . so let me get contact and price details from my builder (Monday tomorrow) and I will post here for all as was my intention.

Thank you for pointing out XJ6 + XJ-S purchases do not an XJR make . . . my fingernails have all fallen out and I can't sleep at nights . . . slowly turning BRG with envy that someone is going to pick up a really nice high performance Jaguar . . . and hopefully well shy of $50,000. Then I had horrifying thought you intended XJR for young Ed - coz this one is definitely not for faint hearted.

Finally, let me try your trick of attaching my )non-inverted) image to this post, then use edit if I find it has inverted on JF. Here goes . . .

Nope . . . DRATTT!!! I really am frustrated by this . . . can't find any "picture" options , nor way to rotate attached images.

Cheers

Ken
[/QUOTE]

Attached Thumbnails *** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***-95xjr-01.jpg  

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 02-26-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member

Calling Graham [GGG] please . . .

Following Cambo's input . . . and then having followed Clarke's instructions to the letter, I found that saving the JF attached, inverted image from previous post to my computer desktop (rather than over original image in Pictures folder) immediately displayed it (yet again) without error.

I repeat (and Cameron assures me my experience is not unique, nor for ALL iPhone images) . . . at ALL times the images at my end are correctly oriented but immediately invert when attached to JF. If I invert and re-save my original image, it still stays inverted when posted to JF.

As both you and Clarke have demonstrated, other viewers can save+edit images to correct, but I seem unable to do so . . .

Still NOT RESOLVED ***

Cheers

Ken
[/QUOTE]

Old 02-26-2017, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Yep Clarke . . . so let me get contact and price details from my builder (Monday tomorrow) and I will post here for all as was my intention.
The XJR is just a pipe dream, frustrated being down to the XJ6 and bike most of the time when have always had two or more cars and 1 or more bikes registered and waiting to be used. Her indoors doesn't drive the Jag so leaves us a bit stretched every now and then.
Even though we only use the Jeep about once a week it is noticed when it isn't there when we want it.

Ed is considering getting a car soon now his sister has left the nest and taken the car she doesn't drive with her. Then we will be back to two cars not being used on work days, but there when we need it.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

There you go Ken, I did nothing more than save to my desktop (voila! The right way up!) then repost here without any adjustments.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
There you go Ken, I did nothing more than save to my desktop (voila! The right way up!) then repost here without any adjustments.
Thanks Norri . . . but . . . (voici!) at NO stage my end, is the image ever inverted. Even if I PURPOSELY invert at my end (2 wrongs make a right?) the image is still inverted once I post.

Frankly, I have given up on this, and will remain even more committed to calling down a pox on the house of Apple. Never had any such problems with any other than these iPhone images. I have taken to prodigious swearing (being a long time IT tech, you learn all the choicest - especially when the magic smoke escapes out of devices!) but . . . while I can learn to accept beloved Jaguars skidding along on their tin-tops . . . I have, to date, drawn the line at posting pics of my new granddaughter as BOTH her parents own the dreaded iPhone thingies.

For example, here's one of our latest model in the "Ken's Kattery" lineage . . . granddaughter Valentina, 5th Jan '17 vintage . . . again, correctly oriented with head to top at my end . . . but I bet it is rotated 90 on a JF post. No matter how often I save, rotate (or swear at the moon) she remains at all times perfect at my end, but shifted 90 on my posts.

PS . . . just to clarify, I'm the one without hair!!!

Cheers,

Ken

Attached Thumbnails *** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***-valentina-day2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 AM
GGG

Ken,

Please run a test with the four posible ways of holding your phone:

1. VERTICAL - normal with button at the bottom

*** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***-1-vertical-normal.jpg

2. VERTICAL - inverted with button at the top

*** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***-2-vertical-inverted.jpg

3. HORIZONTAL - button to left

*** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***-3.-horizontal-button-left.jpg

4. HORIZONTAL - button to right

*** HELP please MODS - images inverted ***-4-horizontal-button-right.jpg

(1) and (2) will look identical when you view them on your phone and (depending on your PC imaging software program, may look the same on your computer).

Similarly, (3) and (4) will look identical when you view them on your phone.

This happens because the phone stores an ORIENTATION ATTRIBUTE with each image to tell it which way round to display the image.

This forum (and many others) CANNOT INTERPRET THIS ORIENTATION ATTRIBUTE. Consequently:

(1) and (2) will appear in LANDSCAPE (not PORTRAIT as taken) like your post #13

(4) will appear upside down like your post #9

Regards,
Graham

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member

Gotcha, Graham . . .
Regret I don't have any of these poxy iPhones and have no such probs with any of my generated images - only ones emailed to me from iPhones.

Obviously, all my Android and Win devices DO understand and act on this Apple attribute. Pls keep this thread open until I have an opportunity to visit Sydney in a few weeks. I will test as you suggest.

Your explanation (and pics) now verify why I can do nothing at my end to solve problems related to posting these iPhone images. However, I predict as follows . . . all 4 of your tests will result in images that display, at my end, perfectly . . . but all over the shop when I post them to JF.

Is this really satisfactory . . . especially if, as Cambo suggests, I am far from alone? For example, is there some way this hidden attribute can be switched (or neutered)? Or . . . better still . . . that JF undertake an upgrade to understand and act on this attribute . . . as all my devices here do.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 03-02-2017, 04:19 AM
GGG

Ken,

The orientation issue has been around for a long time now but it's only with the rapid growth in smart phone ownership that so many are affected.

I doubt Internet Brands will be keen to spend money on upgrading their huge number of forums to resolve it. At least knowing why it happens minimises the frustration/annoyance.

I've rotated hundreds of images in forum posts and many members will therefore be totally unaware of the issue!

Graham

Old 03-02-2017, 05:02 AM

Easy fix, don't own an iphone!

Old 03-02-2017, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member

Hahahaha . . . Clarke, as you suggest, I never had that problem . . . still don't . . . but it would take all my money and then some, to rid even my limited world of iPhones.

Putting yours and Graham's suggestions together, I will just avoid posting any images I receive "from the dark side" until this is resolved.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 03-02-2017, 05:28 AM

When I bought my first smart phone a few months ago at the Dick Smith closing down sale the salesman said he had two phones left.
Iphone 7 for $200 or my Huawei for $40, he said why buy that for 40 when you can have an iphone 7 for $200.
I told him I'm not paying $200 for any phone, no matter how cool you tell me it is. $40 will get me by until it breaks and I need a new $40 phone....the old Nokia did me 13 years, was still going strong when thy shut down the 2 G network.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member

Very smart! I've had my latest - a Samsung S5 - for near 12months. Just missed out on the "auto exploding S7" by a few months. Bought it direct from Korea for around $100, the S5 does everything I need, including pics that stay upright, and a heck of a lot more I don't need as well. It knows my age and how I like my coffee; it remembers all those family birthdays; names of friends I can't remember; and where I am in the world . . . even if it can't remember where I am going, why, and where the heck I put my Keys!

As an included bonus, it generally allows me to make and take phone calls! How's that for progress.

Cheers,

Ken

o1xjr (03-02-2017)

Search this Thread