XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New Jag owner seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jag owner seeking advice

We recently purchased a '99 XJ8 with 71K, very well maintained, two owner car. Carfax shows first owner had it serviced at Jaguar dealers where "recommended maintenance (was) performed." If I go to my local dealer, can they pull the records to determine whether the "recommended maintenance" included timing chain tensioners and/or water pump? This may sound stupid, but is there any way to tell just by looking at the outside of the engine, any visual cues? We bought the car in February in Chicago - very cold weather followed and no strange sounds or ticks on cold starts - does this mean anything? I feel like SirJag, "new Jag owner, trying to learn as much from you experts as possible!" Thank you all so much!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

JagLoverX2: I don't know if the dealers are networked together in a manner that would allow them to pull up service records from another dealer. It would be well worth the effort to find out though. I doubt the previous owners invested in this work at the dealer due to cost, and I don't think the tensioners were any kind of recall or warranty item. Having said that, the only way to tell for sure would be to remove one of the valve covers and take a look. You've probably got a few miles before this becomes critical, but most here would advise to get it corrected sooner than later. If they do go, damage cost can be high (3k) in a related thread. No cold weather ticks is a good thing, but unrelated to anything in particular. There is plenty to learn here for the asking. Enjoy your new ride.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

With a release from the PO a dealer can produce the actual invoices for repair/maintenance but only from their individual work. The release is required due to privacy issues. The invoices have name, telephone and address information.

We have never been able to assign a probably of failure to the tensioners but so many have reported engine failure as a result that it is not worth delaying replacement.

. . . and welcome to the forum!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

I have the same problem. Just bought a 2002 XJ8 with 71k, some service history. Took it to my local JAG dealership and they found small issues (lower ball joints), but recommended the tensioners be done to the tune of $1200. Car was manuf. Not a job I really want to do myself - best place to source the parts?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Meant to say manufactured late 2001 :0

Old 03-06-2011, 12:06 PM

My XJ8 was manufacured in May '99, does date of manfucture have any bearing on the tensioners? Is their failure related more to the age of the car or the miles on the engine? Also, has anyone in the western suburbs of Chicago used Becker Service Center in Naperville for repair work? thanks

Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel for you, JagLover X2.... because I am right there with you, my friend! My cat has been in my garage since I brought her home last week and I haven't driven since. Why? I couldn't get an appt at the local indie Jag mechanic until this upcoming Wed. I'd rather wait it out (I work from home and we have another car, anyway) and make one trip to the mechanic to get a bunch of maint. service things done before driving her much. Wow, what a gorgeous car. So, in the meantime, I drool over it every time I peek in the garage or treat myself to sit inside. I also like sitting in the back because it gives me an overview of the entire car. I'm blown away by the beauty of this beast.

My indie Jag mechanic says that YES, the Jag dealers are linked up and can pull service records. This is a must-do. I have that timing chain tensioner thing on my mind too. I'm buying an extended warranty (which I usually do when I buy used cars) for some peace of mind. I'm fine with spending some $$ upfront to get her running smooth and get the maint. up to date. My VPD has 76k and I'll likely get the extensive 60k Jag servicing done.

So while this beautiful beast is becoming familiar with her new owner and home (hehe), I'm working on all the non-mechanical things I can do to beautify her even more, e.g. switch out worn emblems, etc.

Best of luck!

SirJag

Old 03-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

For your '99 the date of manufacture doesn't matter but for those owning an '02 it does. The conversion to metal tensioners occurred in August '01, sorta, but not actually, the start of the '02 model year. My '02 assembled in June '01 had the plastic ones. Anything September '01 or later should be metal.

Neither age nor miles seem to directly relate to reported failures but fail they do with very expensive consequences.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM

My 02 says 10/01 for the man. date. So from what I'm reading on this site it's best to inspect to be sure. But wouldn't these need to be replaced by a certain mileage anyway?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty fair chance that an October '01 car is going to have the metal tensioners. I cannot remember of ever hearing a report of failure of the metal ones. Apparently they were finally engineered to have a service life approximating the life of the engine.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Jaguar Dealership invoice to replace 2ndary Tensioners

This Jaguar dealership invoice for replacing the Secondary Tensioners was on another forum's website. Looks like the total was almost $3000 (using the list price shown for parts) with the sales tax included. Dated May 9, 2008. Looks like this dealership even gave the customer as much as a 25% discount on some of the parts' list price.
New Jag owner seeking advice-jaguar-xj8-seconday-tensioners-dealership-invoice.jpg

At least it shows all the Labor and all the part numbers to fix 2000 XK8 with about 81100 miles on it. This is a Jaguar dealership in Cary, North Carolina.

My friend who also is the person who now does most of our car repairs did all of the primary & secondary tensioners, chains, guides and water pump for $2000. Probably would have cost closer to $6000 at a Jaguar dealership.

Big difference from the Jaguar Dealership prices on Labor and Parts.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 07-15-2012 at 02:27 AM. Reason: corrected our repair costs $3000 - actually paid $2000
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Ok, so it sounds like I need to pull a valve cover really soon. Any tips as to which side is easier - driver or pass.? Thanks

Old 03-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Cool

I did question the tech at the Jag dealership here regarding the age/manufacture date of my car. One of the reasons I went for the 02 was that I thought it probably had the metal tensioners. Besides that, I was quoted $1200 to replace them.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi JagLoverX2
I created this PDF file for DIY on removing the cam covers (valve covers). This DIY was created by extracting a few pages from the blackonyx.net tech timing chains replacement DIY PDF file. I am not a mechanic and usually do not do my own repairs (unless they are minor ones).
I emailed this DIY to Testpoint to review and make sure it was correct. Looks like it is correct, per his email reply.
I spend the time to do this so everyone can see what is involved in the process of getting these cam covers removed to get a look at the secondary tensioners, chains, and guides.
Here is this new DIY:
jaguar blackonyx 2ndary tensioners.pdf

I reduced the size of the photos in this PDF file to keep the file size small enough to post here on the forum. After you open the file in Acrobat Reader increase the zoom to 150%. Then you will be able to see the full sized photos in this DIY.

Update - I added the following PDF that shows how to reinstall the cam covers. This is also an extract from blackonyx timing chain tensioner DIY:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...lve-covers-pdf

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-17-2012 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Skippy_McFitz (03-26-2015)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
ttl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JagLoverX2
Ok, so it sounds like I need to pull a valve cover really soon. Any tips as to which side is easier - driver or pass.? Thanks
In my own recent experience, I started with the driver's side because it was more exposed, but got significantly slowed down by the oil dipstick tube. The right side required more parts removal but it went very smoothly. Jim's post shows the procedure very well.

Here's some recent discussion on the dipstick tube:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=50898

The following users liked this post:
JagLoverX2 (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 AM

I spend the time to do this so everyone can see what is involved in the process of getting these cam covers removed to get a look at the secondary tensioners, chains, and guides.

Wow! Thank you so much!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure by now (a year later) that you have decided to have the upgrade done. Recently I purchased a 2000 XK8 with 77K miles in Salt Lake City. The previous owner was not aware of having the upgrade completed and the Carfax showed no evidence of it being done. So, I was going to drive it back to Denver to have the job done there, but a good friend in SLC convinced me to have the job completed there rather than chance going over the Continental Divide and possibly be stranded. The Jaguar suggested upgrade cost $2,000. The seller agreed to share 50%. If I waited and the timing chain broke the cost would be $3500-$4500 depending on who completed the work. Not worth taking the chance. Hope you are enjoying the XK8 as I am.