XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Project Overboost by B.I. Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Project Overboost by B.I. Performance

Project Overboost

Hey guys just wanted to drop in and give an update on Thundercats XJR and what we plan to bring to the Jaguar community. With this project we have had the opportunity to create and bring quality dyno proven products through extensive Research and Development.

A little background about B.I.P. we have been in business for over 20yrs we have two facilities and have a combined 100 + years of automotive knowledge and we strive to be the best at what we do. Our Buckhead Location has been around for 20 years and has serviced MB, BMW and Jaguar vehicles for the Atlanta community. Our Smyrna location is our performance shop it’s fairly new but the new part is only for the building. We have factory scan machines, state of the art data logging equipment, AWD dyno dynamics for tuning and state of the art tuning equipment.

Enough of the boring stuff on to the build,

2003 XJR, car came in the mods already and laid down some very good numbers to start with, but wasn’t enough for the customer. Mr. Carnevale decided to call us for his build and we are very glad he did.

Dyno chart with current mods:
Supercharger Pulley, lower pulley, tune, ported supercharger, Magnaflow exhaust and water/meth injection.

Name:  227812_10150191624065017_211144740016_7039754_5217062_n.jpg
Views: 2376
Size:  92.8 KB

These are the products we plan to have ready to go within the next few months, so please keep an eye out on our website and facebook for updates and information on products and we will keep you board members updated as things are released.

-Performance heads, ported, polished with valve job
-Camshafts
-High strength valve springs
-Headers with down pipes
-Cooling system
-4.0L Supercharger kit
-Torque converter
-TCU flash upgrades
-Pistons
-Maf upgrades
-Throttle body upgrades
-Intake kits

Future plans:
-4.0L stroker kits
-Proper Fueling upgrades

Name:  IMG_1902copy.jpg
Views: 2074
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1899copy.jpg
Views: 2083
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1640copy.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1639copy.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1904copy.jpg
Views: 2139
Size:  65.0 KB

Again keep an eye out for products coming your way very soon for all Jaguars.

Hope you guys enjoy this thread, more pics and vids will be updated regularly with parts information and stat updates.

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (08-07-2015)
Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the thunderdome boys!!!

Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see where this goes!!!

The leaper on my XJR has rotated and is now pointing toward Atlanta,...

Originally Posted by B.I.P.
Project Overboost

Hope you guys enjoy this thread, more pics and vids will be updated regularly with parts information and stat updates.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

What are you doing to Thunderkittens car? I see photos of the engine in pieces, what are you actually planning on doing. How much of an increase in power & performance are you expecting & with how much boost?

Old 06-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoAir
Can't wait to see where this goes!!!

The leaper on my XJR has rotated and is now pointing toward Atlanta,...
That should be a harbinger for an outstanding performance upgrade

Thanks for the pics and have many good projects

Old 06-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I'm very interested in how this all goes. I feel cylinder head work is limited. Gains in porting are worth looking into. The custom exhaust manifolds are very interesting with the limited space available.
There's a few guys in the UK who use Range Rover blocks to go up in capacity to 4.5l. The latest trick is to use 3.2 blocks and bore them, with custom pistons and re-nikasil. Other things to consider are 4.2 injectors mated to the 4.0 loom, they're pin for pin.
I'd love to see this maxed out, it's a great project, good luck!

Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Anyone seen AVOS?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

So whats the question?

Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 PM

is your car bored and stroked to 4.2?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

The 4.2 engines come stroked to 4.2 from the factory. (as opposed to the 4.0)

Old 06-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

I just have a stock 4.2, and as Stevem says, it is stroked compared to the 4.0.
What is actually your plan? I.e. what mods from the list are you going to do?

Assuming you want good ¼ mile times, rework on the gearbox to shorting shifting times could yield maybe 1 second already (well a lot at least), shifting times are very long on the MB box. Assuming that BIP doesn’t do the work themselves, you could also contact Renntech or IPT for some more info on what you can do with the box/TC itself and via re-programming. Not sure if the TC higher stall will help that much for the ¼ mile times, as traction in 1st might be an issue anyhow if you have seriously modded your engine, but if you go that route (i.e. higher stall speed and adjusting the shift management), than you should also consider strengthening the gearbox as well. Here is the link for IPT with the high stall torque converter:
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/mercedes-torque-converter/mercedes-722.6-custom-high-stall-torque-converter--2171.html
They also have more changes available, but there are many other Mercedes tuners as well, this is just an example.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
What are you doing to Thunderkittens car? I see photos of the engine in pieces, what are you actually planning on doing. How much of an increase in power & performance are you expecting & with how much boost?
The list below are the things we are doing to Thundercats car as of this moment. Somethings will get removed somethings will get added, just depends on what makes sense or not. We would like to see a 50% + increase in power which should be a easy task to accomplish.

-Performance heads, ported, polished with valve job
-Camshafts
-High strength valve springs
-Headers with down pipes
-Cooling system
-4.0L Supercharger kit
-Torque converter
-TCU flash upgrades
-Pistons
-Maf upgrades
-Throttle body upgrades
-Intake kits

Last edited by B.I.P.; 06-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by SteveM
The 4.2 engines come stroked to 4.2 from the factory. (as opposed to the 4.0)
Yeah i understand that factory 4.2 engine are already 4.2. I guess i must be confused. I thought the 2000 XKR had a 4.0?

Old 06-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts
Smile 4.0 or 4.2???

Young Jedi, you are treading the same path Master Avos traveled long ago.....

Originally Posted by Thundercat
Yeah i understand that factory 4.2 engine are already 4.2. I guess i must be confused. I thought the 2000 XKR had a 4.0?
Yep, they did. The changeover was somewhere in 2003 I think to 4.2 - There is a major benefit in running the later 4.2 block, and I suggest you read this.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...k-4-2-a-23763/
and this...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...xtra-hp-42062/

So let us all know how much this costs also, it's an important factor when considering upgrades.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM

Avos made a Twin screw kit.... I haven't seen anything about cams, headers, pistons, valves, porting etc. Don't worry Gents. the Thundercat will DOMINATE!!! You all make this seem like modifying a spaceship. It's a Jag but its still A CAR where basic theories of automotive engineering still apply. On top of that the motor is a FORD. Please stop making it sound impossible to modify these cars. Perhaps if you all didn't make these things out to be such mystical beasts we would have a larger communty of people who would be into mods thus bringing more parts to the market and the price down. I have the utmost respect for Avos and his work but he's not the only act in town and he sure as hell isn't Yoda...

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how fast has the car gone in the 1/4???

Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Thunderkitten these are not just Ford engines! You will find there are actually very few people who are willing to upgrade there cars, & fewer who have actually done it. You & Buckhead would be much better of to learn from the experinces of others such as Avos. I have his Twin Screw kit on my car & have to say it is a work of art. I think you would be better off to see what others have done & use some of that knowledge in your attempts to go to the next level. You appear to be trying to reinvent the wheel, in a market that is diminishing by the day. They are doing research on many items that have already been done such as TCM, valve springs, cylinder head porting, MAF sensors, cooling system upgrades just to name a few. They are starting at square 1 instead of using what is already available. I wish you the best but think you are going in the wrong direction.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1Sick*XJR
how fast has the car gone in the 1/4???
dunno yet haven't put it on the track. how about you?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
Thunderkitten these are not just Ford engines! You will find there are actually very few people who are willing to upgrade there cars, & fewer who have actually done it. You & Buckhead would be much better of to learn from the experinces of others such as Avos. I have his Twin Screw kit on my car & have to say it is a work of art. I think you would be better off to see what others have done & use some of that knowledge in your attempts to go to the next level. You appear to be trying to reinvent the wheel, in a market that is diminishing by the day. They are doing research on many items that have already been done such as TCM, valve springs, cylinder head porting, MAF sensors, cooling system upgrades just to name a few. They are starting at square 1 instead of using what is already available. I wish you the best but think you are going in the wrong direction.
and I would point you in the direction of the nearest Dyno. I think your rolling refrigerator will put up some good #'s all this negativity is giving me a headache

Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Ladies, Gentleman and Children of all ages, we all know whats out there and I know whats out there. If people did'nt continue to make things better or not thinking outside the box, then as a consumer we would not have the ability to choose whats best for us, right?

I'm sure we are all in compition of some sort or another trying to improve or make things better. I owned (Tony) a performance shop based out of Chicago and I had Kleeman and Renntech to go against, I became one of the most known Mercedes Benz tuners in the market you know why? because I done something different, made it better more cost efficient and not by going off of what someone else has done in the past. We all know who done what, but I hav'nt done it yet, so I'm doing it my way and its going to be the right way in my opinion and those that continue to support B.I.P..

I am so glad BBS started making wheels after the wooden wheel, where would the racing market be today, if they did'nt reinvent the wheel.

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, I'm just making it better.

So back to the build, I understand its hard sometimes but lets stay on the subject! (B.I.P.'s Supercharger build)

Quick Reply: Project Overboost by B.I. Performance