Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

420 interior photos

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420 interior photos

Hi all, new member here. I recently acquired a 1967 420,US spec, automatic, it was on it's way
to salvage and I just couldn't let that happen. Very nice body overall, just about everything there: interior looked trashed but salvageable. I managed
to get keys to everything but the trunk, after hours of attempting to pick the
lock, I gave it up and punched the lock. Trunk was full of wood pieces for
the interior, window seals, etc, etc. I'm thrilled to say the least. Looks like
I have 99% of what I need, after I refinish the wood and recover the door cards.
However, I need photos of the interior to know where the wooden pieces all go. And of course, I'll need some help with how they attach and so forth.
I know this is going to be a big job, but I'm retired and it's just too nice not to do my best to make a nice daily driver, not a full resto.
Can anyone help, send email pics, route me to other 420 owners?
ray

Old 04-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Have you tried here?

www.jaguar420registry.com/Jaguar_420_Registry/Home_Page.html

Also.. Our website utilizes the original factory drawings and will show parts availability and price etc.

www.sngbarratt.com/CatalogueSections.aspx?m=14

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need anything.. 1800 452 4787

Last edited by SNG Barratt USA; 04-02-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:43 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Ray,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to Mark V - X 420G forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 04-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Is it a 420 or a 420G. Jaguar made a big mess of their names with these two cars, as the 420 was based on the S-type, with a very XJ-looking front end and the 420G was the last iteration of the Mark 10. Apart from the 4.2 litre engine and rear suspension the two cars are very different.

Photos ?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 PM

Fraser, I'm about as sure as I can be that I have a 420, not a G. 420 emblem on trunk,
dual carb engine, etc. Vin is P1F25228bw which seems too old for any of the vin decoders that I can find, they seem to start at 1980.
I have not, as yet, deciphered the method of posting pics, once I do I will do so.
I'm hoping for info like where to get shocks for possibly $25 each, rather than $100, air filter elements not on ebay, that sort of thing.
I've given up finding a kit for a sw fuel pump and ordered the best replacement I could find. Oil filter is available locally, as are points, condenser, that sort of stuff.
I do wish to know if there was optional fabric upholstery rather than leather, as I have seen pics of several 420's with the same type of upholstery I have and leather is
not in my retired budget.
Much appreciate your response, feel free to continue.
Ray

Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ray
The 420 is a 60s car so fabric seats (velour etc) were never an option but there might have been a Ambla option towards the end of the cars production. However, the so-called leather seats are only leather on the facings, it is Ambla on the other parts. This stuff looks exceptionally good but is rather sweaty to sit on, hence leather facings. Anyways, here is some advice on parts. Have a look here -

Vinyl / Ambla and Leathercloth / Vynide

1. Don't fit cheap (and nasty) shocks they only last 5 minutes, (OK a wee bit longer but not much), How do I know ? Yes, that's right !

2. The front suspension ball joints top and bottom can be swapped out by the Lemforder joints originally developed for the 1986 XJ40 model. These are backwardly compatible with earlier cars except the XK models and E-type

Apart from the different front and rear body style, the 420 is almost identical to the S-type of the time so there is much commonality of suspension parts.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Default 420 help

Fraser, good to hear from you.
As to shocks, you put me in a quandry, I guess I better start setting aside
for the high priced ones. I did see that Monroe seems to make shocks for
the 420 but only available in the UK. Shipping would tend to eliminate those from consideration.
I have no idea what Ambia is, and the link to Skinner you provided doesn't work, I get a "page not found" error message.
Just what benefits would I get if I were to replace the ball joints with the ones you mention?
I now have to assemble the portable garage I purchased to keep the Jag
from further deterioration as I begin my journey into the depths of Jag repair.
As I reside in central AZ, the sun is a major factor of life and has already done nasty things to the car, all rubber is perished and in chunks, including the front and rear windshields. I do have a new front rubber seal, one of the many things found in the trunk, so that's a start.
Ray

Old 04-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Default 420 help

Fraser, addendum to my earlier email. I may have gotten ahead of myself
in the matter of shocks. I normally change shocks on a new acquisition, unless I'm personally acquainted with the PO.
While removing rats nest(s) I find I have what looks to be new, sort-of orange colored shocks with Koni on them Whoopie, one less thing to worry
about and budget for. At least, until I can drive it and see if the shocks are
as good as they appear.
While putting the Jag up on ramps, I discovered I had no brakes. OK, maybe it has to running for brakes? Anyway, the two fluid resevoirs(sp) are toast, need to do some ordering soon.
Ray

Old 04-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ray

If you've Koni shocks fitted, then no need to replace as these are a quality product, certainly not the originals. Of course if they are leaking they are shot, but it sounds like they have not been fitted all that long.

Benefit of the Lemforder ball joints is they last 10 times longer. The old Jaguar originals were developed in the 50s when we all ran around on cross-ply tyres and cornering forces were much lower. I fitted a set to my XJ Series 3 and had no more problems with wear and tyres wearing out etc etc. The lower, so-called adjustable joints in particular are a complete PITA. If you do fit the modern joint, you need to knock out the bearing ring fitted in the hub carrier or the new joint won't fit. A light tap with a small hammer normally removes it OK.

BTW I just clicked on the link I added and it worked OK. YOu can get old leather looking quite good with some effort and the right refurbing products, but if the stitching is coming apart, the cover needs to come off, and that is a big job.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 04-10-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:55 AM

Fraser, the link worked when I tried again, I now know what Ambia is.
As to the upholstery, the PO or a PO, had the original leather duplicated
in fabric. Quite good work, but due to sun fading(AZ remember?)I will have
to do something. What is the issue, financing rearing it's ugly head. I do have a guy in FL who thinks he has a full interior, we're talking. He has to rat through all the stuff he has. very scrambled after moving his business.
It will be a while before I look at the ball joints. Are the lemfordo joints
known by that name when you purchase them?
Got the portable garage half assembled, far better product than the one I
purchased when I was working on a 66 Pontiac LeMans convertible oh so long ago. Who would have thought Harbor Freight would have a product I would
be very pleased with, rather than a one time use cheap one?
Ray

Old 04-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ray
Have a look at this supplier webpage. It shows the two types of front lower ball-joint, the original and the Lemforder replacement. Whilst everybody calls them "the Lemforder ball joint", you normally don't see this name on supplier sites, as there are now aftermarket copies, but the Lemforder originals are the long-lasting ones. Note also the modern joint is cheaper !! The upper ball joint is just a swap-out the new design looks almost the same as the original, it just doesn't have a grease nipple on it. When you dismantle the upper one, don't forget to note the position of the adjustment shims that adjust the castor angle.

Parts for Jaguar Mark II and Daimler V8 ? Front suspension - SC Parts Group Ltd

Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not much but maybe better than nought .good luck

Old 10-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

A lot better than nought, I'd say ! It is certainly dusty but all complete and in good condition. Leather probably needs a clean and feed.

However, a RH drive car in Bern ?

Old 10-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Fraser, yeah unfortunately this little beauty is still in Britain .It hasn`t run since i was 12 so that`s 36 years, how sad is that. I have been living in bern for 18 years ,so its not really accessible for a DIY job at the present. Ummm...maybe one day

Old 10-19-2015, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Rip van Winkle comes to mind !

Old 12-02-2015, 04:03 AM

Very old but a dream..

Old 01-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello Ray,
Another 420 owner here. Ex-USA with all the bells and whistles. I use the car daily - if the weather is no too bad (I don't like rain, but who does?).
Any questions or pics needed just give a shout!

Dion
(Netherlands)

The following users liked this post:
David Lagonda (08-08-2023)
Old 01-29-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Lovely car ! You can see the nascent XJ in that car, it was the last saloon development before the XJ of 1968. There were very few 420s made.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! Wandering through the forums and here's a near duplicate of the 420 my Dad had in early '68....Willow green over red leather.We only had that car for three months before it was totaled in an accident on the Bayshore freeway south of San Francisco. He replaced it with a Midnight blue '67 340 with blue Ambla interior shortly after he recovered from the accident. The 420 was a very nice car indeed.

The following users liked this post:
David Lagonda (08-08-2023)