Mark V - X 420G 1948 - 1970

Getting a 69' 420G

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Getting a 69' 420G

Hello guys!
Sorry if my english may seem a little bad.

I came over a very nice dark blue 69 420G with manual gear that have been for sale a while. and the seller agreed to trade for my dark blue 97' X300 and another car. As the conditon on both cars isnt really perfect. The value on the both cars may be in total equal, or a bit less than the value on the 420G. but he have agreed on the trade, and I will get the 420G next week.

As far as I know, the 420G manual ones are rare?
Is there anything I should be aware of? Im planning to use this Jag for holydays and for classic car meetings. (not so many sunny days in norway, haha.)

Old 11-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

There is nothing peculiar to the Mark 10/420G that I know of that causes particular problems.The body shell is one of the strongest and stiffest of the era. Only problem is obtaining trim and body parts, these are almost unobtainable, unless used on the other saloons. BTW, the editor of the Jaguar Enthusiast Magazine has just bought himself one, so you are in good company. These cars need a garage the size of a bus depot, though !

Old 11-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

Wonderful! Please share some pictures of the car.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Exclamation UPDATE: Pictures + Info

So. late after midnight, the car finally arrived.
The truck driver from the delivery company, told me he was delayed due to a gas leakage from the car.

Prepared as I was. I took my older brother and my dad with me, with dads van full of equipment, extra fuelhoses, and a few extra gas cans because I didnt know where the leak was...

As I opened the boot. it smelled gasoline everywhere.. I started removing the spare tyre. as I moved it, the tyre was falling apart from laying in a bath of gasoline..
I started removing the carpets, it was all soaked.

after removing the carpets. I found that the leak was from the rusty fuel-lines...

Im really upset that he never mentioned the leak.. Now I will need to re-create new lines in copper. and a new full interior in the boot. and also weld in a new well for the spare wheel, because that was filled in fiberglass..

adding few pictures
well is filled with gasoline.. ugh

the leak have ruined the interior..

I guess Ill need to get a new spare wheel

Old 11-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

You'll probably find the fuel tanks are rusted through in places, so will need repair. New ones are not available. The car bought by the editor of 'Jaguar Enthusiast Magazine' has also needed work on the fuel tanks, and a complete set of new tyres too. I believe many people have fitted 15" wheels due to difficulties getting suitable 14" ones. Van tyres are not suitable as they don't have the speed and load rating needed.

You'll no doubt find a large list of things to do, it is inevitable with a car this old. You should have no problems with mechanical and suspension/brakes as most of this is common to other Jaguar cars. BTW, never bother replacing the lower front ball joints with the old shimmed type. Fit the non-adjustable ones as introduced on the XJ40 and also found on your old X300

Old 11-29-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
You'll probably find the fuel tanks are rusted through in places, so will need repair. New ones are not available. The car bought by the editor of 'Jaguar Enthusiast Magazine' has also needed work on the fuel tanks, and a complete set of new tyres too. I believe many people have fitted 15" wheels due to difficulties getting suitable 14" ones. Van tyres are not suitable as they don't have the speed and load rating needed.

You'll no doubt find a large list of things to do, it is inevitable with a car this old. You should have no problems with mechanical and suspension/brakes as most of this is common to other Jaguar cars. BTW, never bother replacing the lower front ball joints with the old shimmed type. Fit the non-adjustable ones as introduced on the XJ40 and also found on your old X300
Thanks for reply.
suspension is great on this car. and the fuel tanks seem to be good. I have spare ones laying around somewhere if needed.
I will take out the fueltanks as I was thinking about cleaning in the boot and remove some rust if there is any.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:38 PM

Fuel line no 34. had two holes in it.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts

When I received my 63 Mark 10 earlier this year, the very first job I did to the car was ripping every single piece of fuel line and replacing it with modern fuel injection hose (overkill) from the fuel tanks all the way to the carburetors. The original fuel line was see-through and from its condition it appeared that it was the original hose from '63.

The following users liked this post:
Turbo_dash (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lagonia
When I received my 63 Mark 10 earlier this year, the very first job I did to the car was ripping every single piece of fuel line and replacing it with modern fuel injection hose (overkill) from the fuel tanks all the way to the carburetors. The original fuel line was see-through and from its condition it appeared that it was the original hose from '63.
Im rebuilding the lines in copper. as that will be the easiest for me.

I have removed rust, and repainted the boot.