MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1961 Mk2 3.8 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

The Uni-Sync isn't difficult to use, it's not all that accurate, but it's accurate enough.
The middle wheel is adjusted to let air into the engine so it won't stall (opened) and closed enough to get a reading with the floating red indicator in the plastic tube.
Placing the device as close to the centre to the throat of each carb is important as well.

One has to remove the air intake aluminum housing to expose each carb separately.
With this removed, you have to hook up the carb return spring to keep the butterfly valves shut tight.
Balancing and idle adjustment is achieved by the large slot screw to the right top of each carburetor.
It has to be done with the engine fully warmed up at it's slowest idle stated in the manual, you will get the best and most accurate reading at a slow idle.

Keep in mind that the balanced carbs are unaffected when driving, as soon as you step on the gas pedal, you by-pass theses idle/balancing screws when the main butterfly valves are opened.
The main butterfly valves are shut tight when at idle, the car receives it's air flow through these large adjusting screws at the side.

Keep in mind that the valve clearance, ignition timing and fuel mixture all has to be set up as best as possible, balancing the carbs is the last step in the game.
If any one of these things are not set quite right, the engine may not idle smooth _ this of course makes it almost impossible to read the Uni-Sync device as the red indicator doesn't stay still enough to get a reading.

Last edited by JeffR1; 02-20-2017 at 01:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffR1:
csbush (02-20-2017), gene61jag (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 02:53 PM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

"One has to remove the air intake aluminum housing to expose each carb separately".

I was wondering about how one would adjust the carbs without removing that piece so, that explains it. Gene doesn't have that problem because he has the individual air filters on each carb- so that is easier.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by csbush
Congrats on getting it running! The smoke could be anything- once it has warmed up and burned off all the oil and moisture from having sat for so long- can you identify a source? Does it smell like oil or like vaporized anti-freeze?

I never had much luck with a Unisys either. My goal is to get it running, and then take it to a carb expert to balance, etc.
I took her on a short test-drive today, and I didn't see the smoke/steam. I noticed the automatic transmission was slow to change gear so I think it's low on trans fluid. I recorded most of the drive so I'll try and post a link soon

Earlier today I talked briefly with a mechanic familiar with British autos. We'll get together in the next week or two when the weather moderates a bit. Until then I have other parts of the project to work on

Thank you for your encouragement!

The following users liked this post:
csbush (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

"One has to remove the air intake aluminum housing to expose each carb separately".

I was wondering about how one would adjust the carbs without removing that piece so, that explains it. Gene doesn't have that problem because he has the individual air filters on each carb- so that is easier.
There's this too, should be more accurate and not so susceptible to slight vacuum changes, but kind of pricey and the fact that it only works on SU/ Zenith Stromberg carbs.
The dial indicator simply measures how high the pistons are, when the dial numbers are the same, the carbs are balanced.

Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums - View Single Post - SU carburetor balancing kits

Old 02-20-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JeffR1

Keep in mind that the valve clearance, ignition timing and fuel mixture all has to be set up as best as possible, balancing the carbs is the last step in the game.
If any one of these things are not set quite right, the engine may not idle smooth _ this of course makes it almost impossible to read the Uni-Sync device as the red indicator doesn't stay still enough to get a reading.
Hey Jeff, somehow I missed your post. You make good points, and I appreciate the primer on how to use the carb-balancer. Your comments referring to the "holistic approach" to auto mechanics makes me more sure that I want to take my car to a pro before I do much serious driving. Thank you!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:27 PM

Congrats on getting it running! The smoke could be anything- once it has warmed up and burned off all the oil and moisture from having sat for so long- can you identify a source? Does it smell like oil or like vaporized anti-freeze?
The fumes smelled like burnt gasoline fumes. No noxious like oil, not sweet like antifreeze. I'm sure my air/fuel mixture is very rich. That might be part of it.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:21 PM

In spite of it's issues I took the car on a short drive around our neighborhood:

The following 3 users liked this post by gene61jag:
csbush (02-20-2017), jerry_hoback (03-14-2017), MK2 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

That's a cool video!
And nice neighbourhood, looks like Nanaimo here on Vancouver Island, I say that because I saw a "School Zone Ends" sign.
I checked your personal info page to see if it says your specific location other then Pac NW and you're only 26, I wish I was 26 again _ it sucks getting old !

Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by JeffR1
That's a cool video!
And nice neighbourhood, looks like Nanaimo here on Vancouver Island, I say that because I saw a "School Zone Ends" sign.
I checked your personal info page to see if it says your specific location other then Pac NW and you're only 26, I wish I was 26 again _ it sucks getting old !
I like my privacy, so I'm slow to give truthful details about myself. Sorry, once burnt, twice learnt. I would say I was "reborn" (not to be confused with "born again") in '91. My birth certificate probably puts me closer to your age Jeff. I deny my documented age at every turn ;-)

We live in the Portland, OR area. Besides the weather I think a lot of Portlanders want to emulate British Columbia. The culture, accent and weather are similar IME. Vancouver (city) is gorgeous! The Wife and I celebrated our 4th Anniversary there a few years ago. We'll have to go to Victoria at some point.

Cheers!

Old 02-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks for the ride. Great inspiration. The hand reflection in the window didn't look 26. Can't wait to test drive mine. Didn't run when I bought it.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by lickahotskillet
Thanks for the ride. Great inspiration
Quite welcome sir! I hope to post more "soon".

The hand reflection in the window didn't look 26.
Yes, well...

Can't wait to test drive mine. Didn't run when I bought it.
This one was only marginally-driveable when we got it. Soon after we bought it the after-market fuel pump that was in it failed. And the car has benefited from a cleaner, not so rusty fuel tank.

Lots to do yet. Not on the order of magnitude as your project but it will definitely keep me out of the bars for a while. All the best!

Old 02-26-2017, 10:13 PM

The hand reflection in the window didn't look 26.
Clyde, this is why my "birthday" is in February '91. I was on the USS Missouri during the time-frame in this report. Every day since has been a blessing and I'm still trying to find a way to thank the crew of HMS Gloucester:

Battleships Pulled Off The Biggest Ruse Of Operation Desert Storm 25 Years Ago

Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 PM

I topped off the transmission fluid and drove the car about 5 miles around the neighborhood today. I haven't posted anything yet - it would look pretty much like the last one.

Have a great week y'all!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:55 AM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

That is awesome- congratulations on getting it running/driving. That is a big step!

Old 02-27-2017, 09:12 AM

That is awesome- congratulations on getting it running/driving. That is a big step!
Agreed. And it simplifies logistics too. I can drive her to the long list of shops that I'll need to get her fixed up right.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 AM

Gene61jag,
From one Navy guy to another "thanks for your service".
Keep up the road tests!

The following users liked this post:
gene61jag (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 AM

Gene61jag,
From one Navy guy to another "thanks for your service".
Keep up the road tests!
Back atchya Shipmate! You must have been a Hull Tech or Shipfitter with your welding/fab skills. I was a twidget - Fire Controlman.

God willing we'll meet on one of those "road tests" one of these days

Old 02-27-2017, 11:47 AM

Seaman. Never made rate. Dispatcher/radio operator NAVSUPPAC DaNang. Shore duty. In/out in 14 months. No meetings.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:54 PM

So I have been fiddling with the locks, replacing the barrels. So far I've replaced the Glove-box and ignition. I have noticed that "somebody" before me was just using whatever they had on hand to fasten stuff onto this car. For instance the boot(trunk) lid latch has 4 holes for bolts - either the factory or a previous owner used 2 hex-head bolts, one slot-head bolt and a wood screw to fasten the latch to the body. The passenger-side front door used a screw-head and a 3/8 hex head. Driver side used a 3/8 hex head a 5/16 hex head. It's a lot easier to remove philips-head bolts from the door handles so that's what I replaced those with - all philips-head, all same length, all correct thread. Call me OCD if you like but this is just so much easier.

I rented a storage unit and stored my back seat and passenger seat there. Now I can dig up the passenger side and see what's under the "carpeting".

Oh... poot

It gets worse. This pieces of straw show where the floor has rusted through:

Last edited by gene61jag; 03-14-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:03 PM

Seaman. Never made rate. Dispatcher/radio operator NAVSUPPAC DaNang. Shore duty. In/out in 14 months. No meetings.
Smart man. Do what ya gotta do then get on with your life. I was in the Reserves for a while. It was alright for me but I think for a lot of people it's seems like a waste.

Quick Reply: 1961 Mk2 3.8 Restoration