MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1963 S-Type Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Balerion

The seals have basically gone to plastic. The door and boot rubbers seem to be a little expensive ($350AUD). I wouldn't mind seeing if I can find generic replacements for a local trim store.
The Mk 2 door rubbers are tricky to fit, even with the real McCoys. I would doubt a generic product would be successful due to the intricacies. The "lips" that fills the door gaps are the problem, get it wrong & the whole car looks crap, IMHO.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by redtriangle
The Mk 2 door rubbers are tricky to fit, even with the real McCoys. I would doubt a generic product would be successful due to the intricacies. The "lips" that fills the door gaps are the problem, get it wrong & the whole car looks crap, IMHO.
These from Classic Motor Cars are used on the Callum MK2 and while are not original, but are in my opinion superior as they have a hollow center which enables a better seal. The so called OEM which I purchased from XK's Unlimited were poor quality and were not the right sizes. They did not provide good customer service and would not replace the incorrect size with the right ones, even after I demonstrated that what they sent me was not the same as what should have been provided. I will never use XK's again. I do not recommend the "real McCoys" as the CMC seals are better.

For rubber use this
You searched for door seal - Classic Motor Cars

DO NOT use the stock rubber kits and I definitely would NEVER use XK's Unlimited for parts as they sold me a kit that had the wrong pieces and they provided the worst service I have experienced which cost me over $750 in labor and wasted rubber door seals.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by primaz

For rubber use this
You searched for door seal - Classic Motor Cars

Old 02-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies all. I have been somewhat distracted finishing a psychology degree, but now that is out of the way it is back to the Jag. *edit* I am looking back through the answers from previous replies as I see some of my following Q's have already been answered.

So, I don't know how I missed it, but cylinder 5 actually has a holed piston. I have no idea how I missed that as it is not a little hole by any stretch of the imagination and the valves for that cylinder were snapped. So, while the wanton destruction is vaguely hilarious, it does mean that we will be looking at a replacement engine for the time being.

There is a 1974 XJ6 Series 2 in town that has a 4.2 engine. I wondered if that would be a suitable replacement (as in *simply* drop-in)?

Also, what tyres should I be using as the current ones have finally given up the ghost. The car is now going to be on jack stands and I will replace the tyres with new ones. Are there any recommendations from the regular manufacturers that I can source in the antipodes? Currently I have 185HR91H stamped on the current tyres. Have been looking at these: https://www.tyroola.com.au/goodride-...506412c8b.html

Also, looking under the car the rear suspension section seems to be covered in old oil, so possibly a leaking diff there? Also, there seems to be some oil leaks at the front as well. The sump is coated with old oil, so without checking further I can't tell if its the transmission or the actual engine sump.

To start the process it'll be new tyres and the brakes to get sorted.

Last edited by Balerion; 02-12-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

Nice car for a good price. I paid $9K for this 64 S-Type, with the 3.8S motor, just before Xmas, from Childers, & drove it back home to the Tablelands.

Unfortunately I got the engine a bit too hot on the run home, blowing the head. & rather than muck around with it I'm going to give it a full professional rebuild with Peninsular Jaguar in S/E Qld. Home - Peninsula Jag
They're not cheap, but they do a very thorough job, including a photo album of the build. & it'll add a lot of value to my car, which I want to keep as original as possible.
I'm a member of the Townsville Jag Club too. So I hope to catch you at one of their events, once we get our projects up & running.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

I've just caught up with this thread, looks like you have a cheap car there, and had some great advice here too, make sure you take time to appraise the Jag thoroughly, don't rush into starting anything too fast until you know what you have ahead of you so you can wisely plan your time and money to get the most out of both.

Keep us informed and plenty of pics please.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by primaz
The so called OEM which I purchased from XK's Unlimited were poor quality and were not the right sizes. They did not provide good customer service and would not replace the incorrect size with the right ones, even after I demonstrated that what they sent me was not the same as what should have been provided. I will never use XK's again.
DO NOT use the stock rubber kits and I definitely would NEVER use XK's Unlimited for parts as they sold me a kit that had the wrong pieces and they provided the worst service I have experienced which cost me over $750 in labor and wasted rubber door seals.

I had 3 horrible experiences with parts purchased from XK's back in 2005 and I have never done business with them again. They simply sell garbage parts. 3 out of 3 is enough for me.

Here's one example of their garbage parts: The picture shows the Fuel Pump mounts I ordered from XK's, they found a thick grommet and glued a Bolt to it on both sides, Yes, GLUED. The minute I installed these, they fell apart. Their service was unprofessional to say the least, they refused to do good or refund my money. Fortunately I called my bank and they refunded me. Note that the original mounts were one long stud with a vulcanized bushing over it.

Attached Thumbnails 1963 S-Type Newbie-xks-fuel-pump-mount-2.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 02-13-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:36 PM

That is a lovely looking car scatcat! Pity about the trip home though. I entertained the idea of Peninsula Jag as one of the Townsville club members had recommended them, but the costs, while definitely worth it are not going to fit into my budget just at the moment.

Having not had a jag before, I am happy to simply get it on the road and see how it goes for the time being. I will keep the original engine though for future restoration.

I have located 3 (hopefully cheap) XJ's in the local area and will try and find the best one to pillage for bits. Obviously the engine - hopefully a 4.2 - and brake calipers will be used as I believe the calipers bolt on directly. Will the 4.2 need extra cooling somehow? I don't want to cook it within the narrow confines of the engine bay.

Managed to source the door rubbers and will probably purchase them this month for a good start.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

4.2's are notoriously hot runners. In fact all XKs are, especially up here in the tropics. The XJ6 radiator is appreciably bigger than the S-Type's. & it struggles to cope with the heat & humidity up this way. So I'd get your radiator recored, at the very least. I believe you can get these radiators triple cored, using modern materials, which is what I'll be doing to mine, before my rebuilt motor hits the road again. Forum Member's who've already gone down this route should be able to tell you the technical details, & the NQ Jag Club should be able to point you to a local who can do the job. Let me know who that is, when you find out, as he'll probably be getting my radiator too.
PS I'll be pulling the 4.2 from my XJ6 next week. It's got a blown head gasket, but still runs. I'm just dropping in another 4.2, which I know is good, as it's the easiest/cheapest option. I was going to keep the original motor, for matching numbers. But my car doesn't really warrant such fastidiousness. There'll always be more collectable cars than mine. So I can't be bothered pandering to that market. Which is a long-winded way of saying that I could have a spare engine, if you're looking for something to rebuild. I'd be wanting around $250 ono for it, & you'd need to pick it up from Ravenshoe. Just a thought

Last edited by scatcat; 02-13-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

By the way. If you don't think these cars are worth investing the kind of money that Peninsula Jag asks. Check out what they can fetch, once all the issues have been sorted. https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...13817013/?Cr=1 https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4484948/?Cr=0
Personally I prefer the BRG one. But both are commanding prices well north what you or I paid for our cars. So that leaves us a lot of wriggle room to lavish on the rebuild, & still remain in profit.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
I had 3 horrible experiences with parts purchased from XK's back in 2005 and I have never done business with them again. They simply sell garbage parts. 3 out of 3 is enough for me.

Here's one example of their garbage parts: The picture shows the Fuel Pump mounts I ordered from XK's, they found a thick grommet and glued a Bolt to it on both sides, Yes, GLUED. The minute I installed these, they fell apart. Their service was unprofessional to say the least, they refused to do good or refund my money. Fortunately I called my bank and they refunded me. Note that the original mounts were one long stud with a vulcanized bushing over it.

Jose, I totally agree, "XK's Unlimited" has ripped me off with poor products and incredibly terrible customer service. I provided over a dozen pictures clearly showing that they provided the wrong rubber pieces and they did not want to correct the problem after I had spent thousands with them in the past. That was the last straw I will NEVER buy anything from them and will share my experiences so others will not get ripped off.

I also bought their LED bulb kit for the 3.8s and that was complete garbage as over half went bad in the first 6 months. They will not sell individual bulbs but only via their kit with no details so you are forced to buy the complete set but when they are all made so poorly, it was a complete waste of money. Jose thanks to your post in the International Jaguar S Type website I found that UK LED company and those have lasted unlike the XK's garbage LED's....

The following users liked this post:
Jose (02-18-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the headsup on those LEDs. I am considering getting some (later) and wanted to know if there was a good quality pre-made kit available.

scatcat I'll have a think over that XJ engine. Hopefully I can chase up a local one. It would be great if it also had aircon

Old 02-16-2017, 05:39 PM

This weekend I am going to inspect a couple of XJ6's that a guy has on the outskirts of town. He is restoring a Mk2, apparently. I am basically just chasing a working engine and perhaps some modern calipers so not too fussed on much else.

Should I keep the original auto transmission from the S-type or pull that out as well as the engine at the same time? Additionally, will the newer (still auto) transmission link up with the existing hardware on the older car?

Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Series II XJ6 auto box in my S-Type, which bolts up to the 3.8 ok. So I can't see why it wouldn't work the other way round.
I've decided to hold on to my original 4.2 block & strip it down for a thorough inspection. If the block & head aren't too bad, & it can be put back together on a budget. I might do it up first & drop it into my S-Type. While I save up the shekels required to do a "proper job" on the 3.8, which is the more valuable unit. Once that's done I'll put the original motor back in the S3, & give the replacement motor a thorough inspection (it's getting a cursory inspection before I fit it to the S3, fixing any leaks & dry seals & gaskets etc). I should pretty much know how good it is, from it's time in the S3. But if the block looks like it could take it, I'd like to do it up to race specs, bore it out to it's safe max, which I believe is around 4.5, & fit all the exotic internals required to make it spin faster than a stock Mill. I know most people concentrate on the V12, or stick a big Yankee V8 in them. But I quite like the idea of fire breathing 4.2. Anyway that's a long way into the future, & many dollars away. But it's nice to dream. & it gives me plenty of time to do the research & assemble the required bits, hopefully at a big discount.

Last edited by scatcat; 02-16-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:47 PM

I had a look at some local Jags over the weekend and today. Basically, two were sovereigns with (what I believe to be) incompatible engines and the gentleman would only sell both. He was restoring a Mk2 manual with a 2.4L engine which actually looked very nice indeed. About 70% through the process.

The other car this morning was a 70's XJ6. I actually didn't check the plate for what year, but I did take a photo of the running engine. The rest of the car is probably not worth keeping, unless you are a tragic or masochist.

Name:  20170222_082035_zpsjrghfid6.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  198.0 KB

From what I can guess, this engine would actually fit the S-Type, and also offer aircon I think the car is overpriced by about $2000.

So again, the leads have somewhat evaporated and the enthusiasm cools. No doubt I can source an engine from further away (thanks scatcat) and we'll see what transpires.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member

It will fit, but whether you can get the AC to run will depend on your creativity. Remember there's no flow through ventilation system on your S-Type, other than the front & rear quarter vents. So you're going to have to build a whole new delivery system. There is a mob that build an integrated modern system, that looks retro, & hooks in through the heater matrix (I think). It's the bee's knees, & on top of my wish list. But it ain't cheap, around $5K. Here's the link, if you're interested. MKII-S 420 LHD-RHD Air Conditioning Kits | RetroAir, Inc.
& if you come up with a way to make an existing 4.2's AC to work in your car, please share it with me, as I'm planning to slip my spare 4.2 into my S-Type, until I can get the 3.8 rebuilt right. & it'd be great to have air. Though those vents work really well. I cruised my car back from SE Qld, where I bought it, up the inland highways, in Summer. Which is why I need a complete engine rebuild. But them damn windows kept us cool for the entire cruise.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:13 PM

I've seen the retro air ones, and that is definitely on the shopping list at some point. The 4.2 looks pretty massive in comparison to the current engine. While most folks agree yes it will fit, it certainly looks like it would be a squeeze!

Old 02-23-2017, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

I've decided to put the 4.2 I've just purchased into my 64 S Type, as that's the car I really want to get on the road. So I'll let you know what the problems are. I'll get my S3 back on the road too. But probably not until I've got the 3.8 rebuilt & re-fitted back into the S-Type. I'll probably have had the old engine lifted out of my S3 by then, & pulled down for an evaluation. So it will depend on which is the better block, as to which engine the S3 gets. & it can just sit in my shed looking pretty until then.

Last edited by scatcat; 02-23-2017 at 03:06 AM.