MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

1964 MK2 Speedometer Cable PROPER routing

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 09:50 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 1964 MK2 Speedometer Cable PROPER routing

Could someone post a photo, sketch or darn good description ( I am a “visual” person) of the PROPER routing of the speedometer cable under the car to the fitting at the gearbox. My car had a replacement cable when I purchased it and it was just hanging from the engine bay. I have the proper routing from the speedo to the clip just above the steering column. I am interested in the routing between the clip and the gearbox.

You can PM if you wish and I we can exchange by email.

Thank you!

Lin Rose

Old 11-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Hi Lin,

have a look at this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...-161678/page2/ post #30

I was discussing this here a few days ago, and it depends on your gearbox, which in turn denotes the cable length.

If your gearbox speedo drive is on the opposite side of the car to the Speedo itself you have the longer cable. I cant find a good answer to that option once the cable has followed the chassis leg, it has to then cross the gearbox somehow, that is the bit I cant find out. If the speedo cable enters the gearbox on the same side as the speedo then the above thread should answer that. There is a link to Kriss motors blog on post #32 which described the route.

Good luck, I will keep digging for the answer.

UPDATE

I've looked at Kriss Motors blog again, their car is LHD and the speedo entry on the gearbox is on the opposite side, if I read this correctly then does the cable cross the firewall inside the car ?

Kriss states that :-
"The speedometer cable enters the firewall at the far left side and then attaches to the gearbox, hugging the right main chassis beam."

I think they have followed you a lot re Blog etc. maybe contact them directly and find the solution ? Please post back if you get the answer it will help "Homersimpson" too.

On my RHD MK2 the speedo cable went down the inside of the engine bay on the opposite side of the steering column (tight to the wheel well) in a factory spot welded clip, then followed the chassis leg directly into the gearbox, this is an easy route for the short cable on the RHD cars.

Last edited by TilleyJon; 11-27-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 11-27-2016, 11:49 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 1964 MK2 Speedometer Cable PROPER routing

TilleyJon,
Thanks for the response, but still searching. Eric (Kris Motors) has his cable mounted to the RH floorboard with two clips. My car does not have the holes in the floor for the clips so I assume (always dangerous) that either Eric's car is different than mine (earlier production) or he did his own thing.

I may end up doing something similar, but I would love to know what is factory correct.

My car is LHD Manual with overdrive.

Lin

Old 11-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Hi Lin,

I have attached a pic showing the route on the RHD from the firewall, I cant find a pic showing how it goes down the chassis leg at the moment, but mine was fixed with the fuel and brake lines to the clips and then straight into the gearbox. But yours is left hand so it will have to jump over the gearbox / or under it to get to the speedo drive.

I will keep digging, I may find a picture.

Just found the second picture, if you zoom in you can see the speedo cable on the chassis leg then sweeping into the gearbox. The problem I cant solve is the crossover to the otherside for the LHD cars, assuming the cable follows the same (opposite) route it must change side to the gearbox, the LHD cables are 28" longer than RHD versions so it must take quite a slow sweep across the tunnel to avoid tight bends and "use up" the 28" of extra length.

I just shot out to the workshop and took the 3rd photo, you will see the 3 extra holes in the chassis leg (below the ones that carry the fuel and brake lines) that take the clips for the speedo cable. Do you have these on the opposite chassis leg, or are they the same as mine ?

If you PM me with your email, I can send you the original pics so you can zoom in better if you would like me to.

Attached Thumbnails 1964 MK2 Speedometer Cable PROPER routing-gopr0387.jpg   1964 MK2 Speedometer Cable PROPER routing-gopr0358.jpg   1964 MK2 Speedometer Cable PROPER routing-gopr0887.jpg  

Last edited by TilleyJon; 11-27-2016 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Found a picture