MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

63 S-Type Column Auto improvement

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 63 S-Type Column Auto improvement

Hi guys, it'll be a while away in fixing yet, but my current auto lever on the steering column doesn't exactly inspire with confidence. It really feels like you could probably just snap it off and is somewhat wobbly. I haven't had a look inside the housing yet, but I have looked at the exploded parts diagram on SNG Barratt. It could be a snapped cable or something as there is no tension.

My question to fellow owners is - does a fully functional auto selector actually feel substantial, or is there an improved selector mechanism that feels a little more weighty?

May sound dumb, but it's the thing that puts your car in drive so I feel it's an importance piece of equipment and it should be tough

Old 02-16-2017, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Balerion
Hi guys, it'll be a while away in fixing yet, but my current auto lever on the steering column doesn't exactly inspire with confidence. It really feels like you could probably just snap it off and is somewhat wobbly. I haven't had a look inside the housing yet, but I have looked at the exploded parts diagram on SNG Barratt. It could be a snapped cable or something as there is no tension.

My question to fellow owners is - does a fully functional auto selector actually feel substantial, or is there an improved selector mechanism that feels a little more weighty?

May sound dumb, but it's the thing that puts your car in drive so I feel it's an importance piece of equipment and it should be tough

I kept mine stock as I wanted to keep it looking original. I replaced mine with a new stock shifter and it was a lot better but yes they never feel super tough. They do work fine. They also make two versions an early one and a later model. I posted what my early one looks like at the International S type site. I had to modify mine to make it work with a modern engine/trans yet I just try to be careful and have gotten used to it. My car I pushing over 400 HP so if they can handle a V8 computer controlled you can feel confident they should last

Old 02-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, I know what you mean.
The stock shift lever seems flimsy. I swapped mine for the later lever (round black ball on the end) & its an improvement.
But there should be reasonable resistance when shifting gears, so there's probably something else amiss.
There are plenty of parts in the linkage connected to the cable which can wear out/ go wrong.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:36 PM

That linkage looks overly complicated in the diagrams. I'm almost certain there is no cable attached, but I'll see how I go.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

it could be the Gate notches are worn, or the arm notches are worn.

mine does "tighten" when put it PARK, as it should.

the mechanism is quite simple, I managed to adjust it somewhat but I can't remember what I did without removing the upper and lower "nacelles" (the black plastic covers behind the steering wheel). But if I remember correctly, the adjustment is from the Neutral Safety Switch, which has two adjustments, a vertical adjustment (up/down) and a forward to rear adjustment.

Adjusting the up/down movement tightens or "stretches" the linkage which in turn tightens the shifter arm.

TIP: if removing the wires from the Neutral Safety Switch, take the time to mark each wire very carefully as to where they were connected, the Factory Service Manual has an error in the Electrical Schematic.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

also there is a Pin that secures the Arm to the Linkage, and that pin wears out, make sure it is "home" all the way, and if either the pin holes or the pin are worn out, find a nail in the proper thickness and stick it in there, it should go in semi-tightly, then cut its length as needed.

Last edited by Jose; 02-22-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 PM

Thanks Jose, I might pull the plastic covers off and see what is going on underneath