MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

ADWEST Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question ADWEST Power Steering

I have been experiencing problems with the ADWEST power steering so am intending to have the steering box refurbished.
I have checked the pump on the rear of the dynamo, replaced the seals and renewed the cam set and pegs and had all the high and low pressure pipes renewed.
The steering box has been isolated as per the Service Manual page 327 (Section I.s.7) – no problem.
However I don’t seem to be able to then “withdraw from beneath the car (the box)” as indicated in the manual. The box seems to be, in effect, wedged between the main chassis side member and the oil filter head. As you know the box is quite a heavy casting and not that easy to manipulate. I am wondering if there is a knack to manoeuvring it out that has so far eluded me!
An alternative would appear to be to unbolt the off side engine mount and carefully lift the engine up a few centimetres with a bottle jack and wooden batten placed across the sump pan. However, this is itself rather a potentially risky procedure when you are lying under the vehicle so want to avoid it if possible.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 670 Likes on 486 Posts

If the box is wedged between the chassis and the oil filter head and you only need a few centimetres, then removing the oil filter housing should allow you to remove the box ???

I had to remove my power steering box, but my car is a left hand drive, so it was easily removed from the top.
Your brake booster/carbs are in the way.

Just thinking _ what about unbolting the front sub frame, you wouldn't need much clearance, you could probably leave the front brake lines connected.
Block up the sub frame, take the weight of the car off of it, undue the bolts and continue to raise the car until you have enough clearance to remove the box, being carful not to stretch the flexible brake lines.

Even removing the brake lines isn't big deal, gravity bleeding the front calipers is pretty easy.

Last edited by JeffR1; 12-30-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

May be a daft question, but have you removed the anti roll bar ?

The steering box should come out with that off, otherwise can you not take off the filter canister to give the extra room ?

If this is no help then JeffR's suggestion is the only other option.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you both for your prompt and helpful replies. The suggestion by JeffR1 has also been made by some other contacts in the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club including someone who works on these "old" Jaguars for a living. On the basis that there is no substitute for having done a job as opposed to what the manual states, I will go with the suggestion of unbolting the sub frame.
All the very best for a happy and positive 2017. We are looking forward to a great Hogmanay tonight here in Scotland!

Old 12-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 670 Likes on 486 Posts

Hogmanay _ had to look that up.
While Canada is not even 200 years old, I always find it fascinating to find traditions that have been celebrated for centuries in other countries.
The Wiki on this quite interesting.

We have our parades and all day foot ball (boring), but nothing like that.
And not to forget excessive drinking and drunkenness (embarrassing).
The town I live in consumes twice the annual level of alcohol when compared to other towns of the same size population.
New Years just gives people even more of an excuse to drink more and be an annoyance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogmanay

You have a great Hogmanay !

The following users liked this post:
Sharpractice (01-02-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Sharpractice, My best advice if your celebrating tonight is don't take the sub frame down tomorrow!

Jeff, I know what you mean re the excuse to be annoying, that's why I shall have an early night and will be up early when most are still in bed.

Have a good evening and happy new year.

Jon

The following 2 users liked this post by TilleyJon:
lickahotskillet (01-04-2017), Sharpractice (01-02-2017)