MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Churchill Hub Puller for Solid Rear Axle

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Churchill Hub Puller for Solid Rear Axle

The comment below was copied and pasted from the JCNA forum where they have the proper Churchill to for loan. The disadvantage to that is that I am in Canada and shipping it from the US and back again would get quite expensive. I also like to have my own tools as well and in doing so, shopping around for an alternative to the Churchill tool would be very helpful to others where the Churchill tool is quite inaccessible.

My OTC hub puller with the 5 stud adapter plate arrived the other day. I was able to remove the hubs with no problem. I used a cheesy 30 dollar impact wrench at first with no success, so I ended up taking a large 1/2 inch 4 foot extension and wedging it between the puller/hub and the concrete floor. This prevented the hub form turning while applying force to the pullers screw shaft.
I used a ten pound hammer to knock on the end of the shaft _ I only allowed the weight of the hammer to come in contact with the shaft as I was afraid of damaging the axle if I used more force.
I waited for the tone to change when hitting the end of the pullers shaft and when that happened I tightened up on the pullers screw. I had to repeat this procedure 5 times and the hub suddenly popped off.
The OTC puller has two advantages over the Churchill tool, it has 14 threads per inch as apposed to the Churchill tools' 12 tpi, so in that respect it's actually applying more force then the Churchill tool. The other advantage is the OTC tool is open, which allowed me to lock my extension between the hub and floor to keep the whole thing from rotating _ I am not sure how you would do this with the Churchill tool as it's a one piece unit. I suppose if one were to take a piece of heavy steel stock and bolt that on to a couple of wheel studs _ but the problem with that is if there is enough room with the Churchill tool in place ???
One serious disadvantage of the OTC tool is that the business end of the screw shaft does not fit at all on the end of the axle and I had a machine shop make an adapter for this. It threads on the end of the axle and in the photo I have placed four layers of brass and copper shims as not to deform the end of the axle. The adapter was made from a hydraulic hose fitting and with a bit of lathe work it worked quite nicely to keep the pullers screw shaft aligned properly on the end of the axle.
So was it worth all this bother _ I don't know. At least I have a tool now that can pull the hub off with out having to send all the way to the US for the club tool _ I am sure the shipping would have been quite expensive.
This also gives an alternative for people like me who are very far away in a some-what remote area.

Here is a link to Amazon.com of the actual OTC puller.

Amazon.com: OTC 6574 Universal Heavy Duty Hub Puller: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 6574 Universal Heavy Duty Hub Puller: Automotive

Attached Thumbnails Churchill Hub Puller for Solid Rear Axle-adapternutamppullershaft_zps72358b26.jpg   Churchill Hub Puller for Solid Rear Axle-insidenut_zps7ae4e248.jpg  

Last edited by JeffR1; 08-24-2013 at 12:29 PM.