MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

how to fit: zf 4speed 4hp22 auto on mk2 3.8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how to fit: zf 4speed 4hp22 auto on mk2 3.8?

HI,
I have restored MKII 3.8 auto completely and now trying to explore how to replace from original Borg-W. 3-speed auto to XJ's 4speed ZF 4hp22 (not GM's 700-auto or manual ZF 5speed wanted).
I found that it has been done (but only mostly on XJS1-2-3's and/or Stag's info available). And there is of course this (ridiculous) expensive 5000GBp kit.
So, could someone please explain:
*could original B-W bellhousing been used (becauce MK2 XK-engine has start on right-side) (or other way around, is XJ's/ZF's bellhousing needed and must be modificatied?) Want to keep original XK 3.8-engine.
*is some sort of adapter plate needed and how is it determinated? (and even better where to get the adapter plate (back here in Finland we don't have this much neither auto- nor JAG-speciality machinering skills locally!)
*speed cable/connection must be taken care I have understood?
*support and brackets of course (no problem)...
* what else? thanks

Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not the correct car or engine I know, but it will answer some questions about the selector cable, and anyway it makes a golly good read.

The Classic Rover Forum ? View topic - ZF 4HP22 step by step.

Happy reading!

Peter

Old 12-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the UK firm GW Autos does this conversion. check with them.

:: G. Whitehouse Autos Ltd ::

also Finland Boy has done similar work in his Jaguars:

http://jaguar.fiboy.com/Mk1.htm

Old 12-08-2014, 04:14 PM

HI
and thank You for prompt answers! ("kiitos" in finnish!)
If possible still love to get more accurate knowledge:
* "Finland Boy" changed AJ-engine and gearbox (but I'd like to keep original XK-engine, with the start on right-side, is bellhousing/engine fixing different...)
* I did contact G-Whitehouse already before: they only sell the total package, over 5000 GBp, which is way overprized (when considering as diy-person as me), unfortunately they don't sell apadtation plate, etc. needed.
* Rover, Stag, XJS123 excamples are supraisingly more easier to "google" than our MK2 (but have perhaps lots of extras: different bellhousing, torque, drive-axle...)
->MAY auto-XJ-S-123 guys WITH XK-ENGINE could help ?

Old 12-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

yes, it comes down to the bellhousing and adapter plate; Unfortunately I have no experience doing this conversion so I can't help. I know a guy in Tennessee who does manual transmission conversions, I will ask him to see if he is familiar with the ZF.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

John's Cars in Texas sells an adapter kit for the XK engine but using a GM T-700 transmission.

Jaguar conversions, swaps, parts, service and advice - from John's Cars in Dallas.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default GM transmissions

Jose, I read with some interest your comments re am transmission.From what I have read so far, its a 4spd, with an overdrive/lock up????.I do not know anything about GM's. It seems that it was used prior to the intro of ECL's!!
Why does it have an electrical connection, for engaging the o/drive perhaps?.
I would be very grateful for any info
regards barry

Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 AM

Salmise, I have been looking at the ZF myself. It appears that there is no mechanical speedo drive, so this makes for an awkard modification of the speedo does it not.
Barry

Old 12-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

hi Barry,

the transmission used by John's Cars kit is something like "700R", it requires no computer assistance, therefore no electrical, but you need to install a different starter or a starter adapter, as well as a driveshaft, bellhousing adapter, and other items.

I have not done the conversion to my car, so I do not know much about it, other than what I have read in John's Cars website about the the kit contents.

Here's the info. from John's website:

Mark
Body + Jag
Motor + GM T700
Overdrive
+ Jaguar
Suspension = QUARTERBREED (QB)

Which Marks are compatible with this conversion? The Mark conversion kit is compatible with ALL Jaguar Mark Sedans. This includes the Mark I, II, VII, IX, X, S-types, 420 and 420G. This conversion kit will not fit any E-Type nor early Sedans. Look closely at your car before you call. I’ve seen many Mark cars retrofitted with another Mark series motor or an XJ series motor. A little care goes a long way to making the job flow smoothly.

Why should I put a GM Transmission in my Mark?
John,

Now that the 420 is back in Rockport after getting some minor tuning details attended to in Houston, I have had a chance to drive it at length. I can't begin to tell you what a difference the transmission swap out has made in that car. It no longer sounds like a horse shoe in the Liberty Bell when starting (ring gear engagement) and it lets the whole car feel like its breathing as it should. Had Jaguar put this 4sp in the car when new, they would have sold a million of them. It gets off the line much quicker than with the old B.W. 8 3sp. It cruises at 2400rpm at 70mph now instead or thrashing its guts out turning 3000rpm at 70mph. Instead of slamming the whole car with every shift, you can now barely feel the shifts. You have to really pay attention to what gear you are in. Its really a nice modification. I sure wish we had done it 25yrs ago. My wife loves it so we are now fighting to see who gets to drive it. I used to hate to drive it but not now. Many thanks. I wish you a lot of success with this new transplant.

Terry Brigham, 1999
The old Borg Warner DG (Detroit Gear) and its idiosyncrasies left a lot to be desired. A modern transmission with overdrive will amaze you. Prime benefits of the Quarterbreed conversion:
  • Strong and reliable – Jaguar started using a GM transmission in late 70's and Rolls-Royce has used them since 1969.
  • Quarterbreed cars are quicker – they have less mass, better gear ratios and stall speeds. They also have consistent upshift and downshift characteristics. The Mark's 3.54, 3.77, etc rear axle ratio greatly benefits from a GM overdrive, relaxing a buzzy 3000 RPM cruising speed to a calming 2100+.
  • Lower RPMs mean better gas mileage, less engine wear and tear, and a tremendously quieter car.
  • Years later – if your Quarterbreed needs tranny service in Bass Lake, CA., you can have it repaired for a fraction of the BW price tag, not to mention the same day.
  • Your Quarterbreed will start faster too – the GM flywheel-starter combo produces more torque and faster cranking speeds. You'll eliminate the death-rattle flywheel and that $$$ Lucas starter.
Your Jaguar twin cam 6-cylinder is retained without mods to it or the car and the shifter retains its original appearance. I only recommend an overdrive transmission. This kit is for the T700R4, a.k.a T700 and 4L60. It will cost you 20% more but you will not regret the investment.

What else do I need to know? The Mark Quarterbreed is more involved than a XJ6 because there is less space to work in. Known peculiarities of the Mark Series and how they affect the installation are noted below. Look closely at your car before you call. I’ve seen many Mark cars retrofitted with another Mark series motor or an XJ series motor. A little care goes a long way to making the job flow smoothly. Additional items not supplied in the kit that you have to think about: Trans Cooler: You will need a remote transmission oil cooler (often called an auxiliary cooler). There is plenty of room behind the grille. The GM transmission must have a fluid cooler. We offer a universal transmission cooler kit. Universal means you fabricate the mounting brackets. Oil Filter: If your oil filter assembly angles rearward (towards 8 o’clock) it will need to be changed. It will not clear the GM starter. I suggest using a 76-77 upright XJ6 assembly. It is a direct bolt on and it uses a spin on filter for easier oil changes. Note: A small dent (about the diameter of a silver dollar and 1/2" deep) is required for speedometer angle drive. It is not visible or unsightly, even from under the car. Manual to
Automatic:
If your Mark is a manual transmission and you are converting it to an automatic, you may need to widen the right hand side of the tunnel approximately 2 inches. Cosmetics: Mark shifters were commonly Park-Neutral-Drive-Reverse !? GM’s T700 trans has the familiar Park-Reverse-Neutral-Overdrive-Drive-Two-One pattern. I’ll also need to know if your car is column shift or dash mounted (Fan switch) style. A new gate for the fan style shifter is available with Park-Reverse-Neutral-______-______. Then use white 5/16" stick on letters to mark the new positions. The original shifter gate mechanism can be retained but the detents (pattern) will not match. Later column shift models used the conventional pattern and I’ve been told they will interchange with the early column covers. I do not have any shifter/column parts -- you have to chase them. This should cover the surprises, but please feel free to ask any questions I haven’t clarified here.

What is included in the Quarterbreed Kit and how much does it cost? The Mark Quarterbreed Kit includes:
Mark QB Kit & Goodies
Mark Quarterbreed Kit $745.00
Oil filter adapter (w/new filter) 125.00 Trans cooler (w/hardware & hose) 58.00 Driveshaft – ready to install 165.00 Gear Reduction Starter – faster
cranking speed, less battery drag. 195.00 Electrolock™ – Torque convertor
lock up kit. 85.00 Prices include freight.
  • Block to transmission aluminum adapter plate
  • Crankshaft Adapter Flywheel (automatic)
  • Trans Crossmember and Mount
  • Cooler lines (automatic)
  • New Speedometer Cable (early models)
  • Angle Drive (early models)
  • Shifter Linkage/Cable (automatic)
  • Detent Cable Linkage (automatic)
  • Hardware and Brace for starter
  • Detailed step by step instructions
  • Lots of nuts, bolts, clamps and...
You furnish the GM transmission with torque-converter and starter (see the checklist below). Modify your driveshaft or we have driveshafts ready to install. Check out the particulars in the Mark Quarterbreed Quick Start below.

Last edited by Jose; 12-21-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:05 PM
JPG
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I converted my 1960 Mk2 to John's cars 700R4. Total cost would be about $3,000 to $4,000 depending on whether you subcontract the work. We did not have any problems, except for the adjustment of the TV cable and the alignment of the shift cable, which were relatively quickly sorted out. But it has been working flawlessly for a year now, and I can cruise at 70-75 mph at about 2500 rpm. I tried 3 times to rebuilt the DG250, and finally gave up. The GM transmission I have has been rebuilt for me and has the latest specs for the 90s Camaro (the last on before electronics). It completely transforms the car.
JP

The following users liked this post:
Jose (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

The DG250 is primitive no matter if rebuilt. I am glad to hear from someone who has done the conversion to the 700R4.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Jose, you recently posted re the 700r(03.18.2014 on the XJ6 section)that John Testrake had had problems with the set up.Could you enlighten us.
From what Ive read the 700r seems to be the answer to a maidens prayer!
When refering to the 'TV' I assume that this is what we in UK call the 'Kick down', is that correct? Why is this item's adjustment so critical?
Barry

Old 12-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Barry,
can't find what I wrote about Testrake's setup but if it has to do with the 4.2 engine in the XJ-6, I probably reported that the 4.2 engine has a tendency to be "lugged down" by the 700R at certain low speeds and gears. This has been reported by others who have converted their XJ-6 to the GM 700R, actually even John's Cars has reported it too, since back in the 1990's. I do not know if a fix was found. But I have no clue if the issue is replicated in the 3.8 engines in MK-2 or S type, apparently not.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:30 PM
JPG
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Barry,
The TV cable stands for Throttle Valve. It is connected to the throttle linkage and roughly speaking determines when your transmission shifts. It has to be adjusted with an eye on fluid pressure (My transmission mechanic did it, so pardon my ignorance. I am more at ease with manual transmissions). The difficulty with the MK2 is that you have to use the existing linkage, but it's been sorted thanks to the Forum's help. A minor issue is that, if you had a DG250, there was no provision to cool the transmission fluid in the radiator. You can either use a separate transmission cooler or buy a Wizard radiator (I had one made for my car).
Happy New Year,
JP

Old 01-01-2015, 04:32 AM
Default TV

JP, I think the UK term is kickdown.I had a heat interchange(pipe)coil added to the bottom of an old mk2 rad, as mine was void of a rad.
The setting up you refer to was surely setting the correct torque to the bands?
I fitted an xj6 BW65, Im used the original levers, from an xj, that fit to the kick down cable, via the original rod actuator, part of the original mechanism.This was fitted to th RH side floor adjacent to , and forward of,the speedo drive.The cable loops back upwards to its entry to th g/box.
I have not done many miles, 50 or so, but it seems ok. Starter packed up so stuck at mo'.
My interest in alternative auto boxes is to make it a bit more long legged, and I hope better on runs and MPG.I hav been given to understand that the ZF does not have a take off for a cable speedo.CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS PLEASE.
What sort of linkage do you have, and what g/box did you fit.?
Baz

Last edited by barrymk2; 01-01-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The ZF box doesn't have a mechanical speedo take off. People I know who have done the conversion on V8 Rovers use the Dakota digital electronic drive.
The trouble is the cost.

Peter

The following users liked this post:
MAURIE (03-27-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 05:35 AM
Default HELP of FlyWheels, pls

HELP of FlyWheels, pls.
Turn to You Dear Members: When I'd disconnect my original MK2-Auto DG-250-bellhousing from XK-engine, I'd suprised: flywheel was sort of welded all strongly to torgue converter. (Idea is to change DG-torque converter to ZF-converter of course). It was on this flexplate with six bolts on the end of crankshaft.

-PROBLEM: SO I can't have that Flywheel: Which flywheel should I put on?
-And Can I keep my original auto-starter or which starter should I have?
That Original auto-flywheel seems to have 133-teeth and around 13".
-Should and can I have Flywheel for ex. from 1988-XJ40 (as I'm having the 4HP22 auto gearbox)? Would it be right size and would it fit to XK-engine? AND how about the starter then?
( -Or should it be like newer MK / XK Auto, which have (or does it?) separate flywheel? )
hope You can help, many thankSS

Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Default Maurie

Hi Gents, I am at present engaged in fitting a zf4hp22 to a 340 ie-3.4 lt engine.This exersize is not without its problems,and the main one being the lack of a mechanical speedo drive on most zf4hp22 boxes.
However the boxes fitted to the Peugeot 505 do have one but they use a torque tube setup,not the normal tail shaft and therefore a drive flange is not available.I am at present trying to solve this problem but the alternative of going with an electronic setup may win out.
Parts being used are,
transmission from 3.6lt XJS. with extension housing from Volvo 760(if going electronic) or from peugeot 505 (if mechanical)
XJ6 bellhousing (modified to suit),and drive plate.
Hi-torque starter
Spacer ring,drive plate to torque convertor.
Torque convertor spigot adaptor plate.
Hope this is of help.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Any updates on your conversion?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:33 PM

Gday gents,I made the decision to go with the Volvo extension housing and electronic speedo, so at this point in time,the engine/transmission assy is complete and ready to go.I will
I cannot wait to complete the installation and see how it performs,but the body is still in undercoat awaiting colour,once that is done,assembly will proceed.
I will report as soon as I can,meanwhile if I can help in any way please don't hesitate to ask.

Quick Reply: how to fit: zf 4speed 4hp22 auto on mk2 3.8?