MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

How to replace tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to replace tail lights

I feel silly not being able to figure out how to remove the lens on this Lucas L687 tail light assembly. I may have a brake light that is out, but I can't seem to get inside the assembly. There isn't a screw to remove any piece of this that I can see, and I'm hesitant to force off the lens. I can't see how to enter from the trunk either.

Does anyone have a method to get inside to replace the lamps?

Attached Thumbnails How to replace tail lights-2016-11-21-21.56.53-copy.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 05:48 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Just looked at the Mark 10 manual, seems the trunk side panels need to be removed which then allows access to the bulb holders which then pull out.
I am guessing S type is the same deal i.e. no facility for lens removal unless you wish to take off the entire light assembly.

The following users liked this post:
paperboy317 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, I'd second that!
Take the side panel off, in the boot.
The rear light is held on with three nuts,( on studs set into the light)
One nut at the top of the light, two near the bottom.
You may find it easier to slacken off the clamp on the fuel pump, and move the fuel pump to one side.
I have my lights off the car at the moment, and the bulb holders are a fairly tight fit.
Alternatively, you can remove the light assembly completely, and then there are 5 self tappers holding the orange and red lenses onto the backplate. With the lenses removed, you can remove/change the bulbs that way.

As I have the lights off my car at the present, if you have any further queries, send me an e-mail.

Richard

paperboy317 (11-22-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

hi,
in the S type, you do not have to remove the entire tail lights assembly, the bulbs are in removable sockets that you can access from the rear of the lamp. A bit tight to get your hand in there but doable.

first you remove the upholstery panel, behind which you will see the fuel pump,

then you get your hand in there behind the tail lamp and grab the socket which you can feel by its single or doble wires. (single wire socket for Turn Signal bulb, double wires for the Driving lights and Stop Light bulbs).

then pull the socket to either left or right or up or down to disengage it from the assembly hole. They can be very tight.

replace the bulbs and then push the socket spring tangs into the hole, it works best if you start the socket sideways so you know the "spring tangs" are centered in the hole.
Eventually you will get the feel for it, then you push the rest of the socket very firmly until it is fully seated.

With the S type tail lamps, you can invert the Driving/Stop bulbs and Turn Signal bulbs so that the Driving/Stop light is behind the Top pointed lens, and the Turn signal bulb and the bottom, for more visibility by the car behind you.

I went a step further and had the lower lens reproduced in amber for my S type, lowering the turn signals bulb just like Jaguar did in the 1980s.

Attached Thumbnails How to replace tail lights-04-amber-lens.jpg   How to replace tail lights-amber-lens-mounted.jpg   How to replace tail lights-xj-6-s3-lens.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 12-01-2016 at 04:26 PM.
paperboy317 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

by the way, you have a 3.8 'S', also known as the 'S type', it is not a MKII.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:52 PM

Very helpful. Thank you for that detail.

Originally Posted by Jose
hi,
in the S type, you do not have to remove the entire tail lights assembly, the bulbs are in removable sockets that you can access from the rear of the lamp. A bit tight to get your hand in there but doable.

first you remove the upholstery panel, behind which you will see the fuel pump,

then you get your hand in there behind the tail lamp and grab the socket which you can feel by its single wire.

then pull the socket to either left or right to disengage it from the assembly hole.

replace the bulbs and then push the socket tangs into the hole, it works best if you start the socket sideways so you know the "spring tangs" are in the hole.
Eventually you will get the feel for it, then you push the rest of the socket firmly.

With the S type tail lamps, you can invert the Driving/Stop bulbs and Turn Signal bulbs so that the Driving/Stop light is behind the Top pointed lens, and the Turn signal bulb and the bottom, for more visibility.

I went a step further and had the lower lens reproduced in amber for my S type, lowering the turn signals bulb just like Jaguar did in the 1980s.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

you're welcome.

Are you familiar with the S type Register Forum?? I want to invite you to join, not many S types remain around the world, it is a rare Jaguar, under 25 thousand were built between mid 1963 and mid 1968, and that number was for the entire world market. It s a "better" MKII with the independent rear suspension of the E type, a roomier interior, huge trunk, twin exhaust system, twin tanks, twin fuel pumps, reclinable front seats, and more wood dash.

visit and register your car clicking on the link here:

THE INTERNATIONAL JAGUAR "S"-TYPE REGISTER FORUM - FORUM INDEX

there is no charge to join the Forum, there is a $30.00 annual fee if you want to receive the S type Newsletter.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:25 PM

I am not familiar with that forum, but I will most definitely check it out and register. I appreciate the direction.

Originally Posted by Jose
you're welcome.

Are you familiar with the S type Register Forum?? I want to invite you to join, not many S types remain around the world, it is a rare Jaguar, under 25 thousand were built between mid 1963 and mid 1968, and that number was for the entire world market. It s a "better" MKII with the independent rear suspension of the E type, a roomier interior, huge trunk, twin exhaust system, twin tanks, twin fuel pumps, reclinable front seats, and more wood dash.

visit and register your car clicking on the link here:

THE INTERNATIONAL JAGUAR "S"-TYPE REGISTER FORUM - FORUM INDEX

there is no charge to join the Forum, there is a $30.00 annual fee if you want to receive the S type Newsletter.

Jose (12-01-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member

the way to change bulbs in these tail lights is the same for the Jaguar S type, the 420, the MK-X, and the 420-G. Also they were used in some Bentleys of the period, and to a certain extent, in MG-B but they were slightly wider in the MG.