MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jaguar Mk2 1964 3.8 Automatic gearbox problem help :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Mk2 1964 3.8 Automatic gearbox problem help :)

Hi
I have the Jaguar Mk2 (US version) from 1964 3.8 Automatic (with the Overdrive switch), I bought it 6 monts ago, striped and start restoration engine start with not problem but problem starts when tries to shift gears it activates a parking position (gear shifter/cable moves easily and the slider in the gearbox switches easli too) but nothing works after that, does not switches on any gear. The oil is new.
Can someone help me (dzejraf@wp.pl), I will be grateful .

engine and gearbox before fitting in the car

And two more questions I found something under the floor at the height of the connection gearbox with the drive shaft comes to this one power cable and a second out in the engine compartment, but I have no idea where it should be

mounted on the fly of the braking system

I have switch on the left front of the car, they go to him 2 cables (horn) and 2 other. If anyone knows how to connect it.
Markings on the relay are w2 w1 c1 c2

Old 12-04-2016, 03:25 PM

the car is S-type made for US

Old 12-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

same engine and transmission in the S type and MK-2 of the same years but your car is a S type, not a MK2.

the original automatic transmission in 1964 in the S type is a 3-speed, the DG-250 transmission. These transmissions do not have overdrive, what they have is called a Second Gear Hold, Jaguar called it "Speed Hold", it "holds" the transmission in second Gear until the switch is moved to OFF position, which Jaguar called the "OUT" position. So if the switch is in the "IN" position, (or "ON"), then the transmission will not shift to Third Gear assuming the Speed hold Solenoid is working correctly.

Please post the transmission model number that you have, it should be on the driver's side of the transmission on a plate mounted to the transmission.

Only the Manual Transmissions came with Overdrive.

in your Second Picture there are two parts: The small one looks to me like a Voltage Stabilizer which is normally mounted behind the dash, behind the movable center panel, where the fuses are. If it is not that, then it could be the Horns Relay.

the second part in the second Picture looks like the Speed Hold solenoid which would be mounted on the passenger side of the transmission but I cannot be sure. The second part does not even look like a Jaguar part to me.

Also you are in the wrong forum for your car, this forum is for the Series 1 to Series 3 Jaguar XJ-6, made from 1968-1992. Maybe the moderator will move this to the correct forum. Your forum is the MK-1, MK-2, S type Forum.

Last edited by Jose; 12-04-2016 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (12-04-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Ain't you in the wrong forum for a Mark 2 !!

If you move to the correct forum you should get better results.

BTW an S-type is a development of the original Mark 2 bodyshell. I'm interested in your odd piece of kit in the 2nd photo. It looks like there is a hydraulic connection into and out of this component. Jaguar did fit an anti-creep device to auto-tranny cars in the 60s, and this may be it.It worked by trapping brake line pressure to the brakes and when the driver pressed the throttle down, it released the pressure.

Anyway, you should find more old chaps like me in the Mark 2 section. I rebuilt a Mark 2 in the 80s. Took me seven years and I'm still married to the lovely lady who put up with being a Jaguar widow !!

Old 12-06-2016, 01:29 PM

Hi
Thank you for your reply, I I worked it with two things still struggling with gearbox, will try to launch onThursday.
Regards

Old 12-08-2016, 07:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by dzejraf
Hi
I have the Jaguar Mk2 (US version) from 1964 3.8 Automatic. .....
Welcome to the forum dzejraf,

I've moved your question from XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III to MKI / MKII forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Hi,

The item in the bottom of the picture is the solenoid which stops the car creeping forward when in drive.

When you come to a stop with you foot off the throttle there is a switch between the carbs which activates this solenoid. The solenoid simply holds the pressure onto the back brakes that you applied with the footbrake, when you push the throttle pedal the switch releases the valve and off you go.

The DG gearboxes are fairly simple in operation, I've just rebuilt mine using parts from G Whitehouse Autos in the UK. I believe this gearbox is of North American origin and so parts are probably more available over there.

I would be surprised if the gearbox doesn't do anything at all, have you tried putting the back end of the car on stands and checking that the selector lever is actually moving or manually operating this?

The gearbox has three bands inside, one low speed, one intermediate speed and one reverse. I understand that top gear is a direct feed from the torque convertor.

From what I understand no drive in any gear (not even reverse) could be the following:

Low/Wrong oil (they need around 10 litres of oil and it should be checked with the engine running in low gear (with the wheels off the ground obviously). Once the gearbox is full you need to run the engine to fill the torque convertor and then top up the oil.

Faulty torque convertor, I have no idea how they work so don't know what might cause this.

Faulty oil pump within the gearbox.

Three failed brake bands (highly unlikely).

One last thing ], there is a seperate piece that fits into the end of the gearbox input shaft and transfers oil between the gearbox and the torque convertor. If you haven't refitted this it might be your problem.

It is possible to remove the gearbox without taking the engine out but its not easy.

Best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
Jose (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Homersimpson
Hi,
The item in the bottom of the picture is the solenoid which stops the car creeping forward when in drive.
When you come to a stop with you foot off the throttle there is a switch between the carbs which activates this solenoid. The solenoid simply holds the pressure onto the back brakes that you applied with the footbrake, when you push the throttle pedal the switch releases the valve and off you go.
The DG gearboxes are fairly simple in operation, I've just rebuilt mine using parts from G Whitehouse Autos in the UK. I believe this gearbox is of North American origin and so parts are probably more available over there.
I would be surprised if the gearbox doesn't do anything at all, have you tried putting the back end of the car on stands and checking that the selector lever is actually moving or manually operating this?
The gearbox has three bands inside, one low speed, one intermediate speed and one reverse. I understand that top gear is a direct feed from the torque convertor.
From what I understand no drive in any gear (not even reverse) could be the following:
Low/Wrong oil (they need around 10 litres of oil and it should be checked with the engine running in low gear (with the wheels off the ground obviously). Once the gearbox is full you need to run the engine to fill the torque convertor and then top up the oil.
Faulty torque convertor, I have no idea how they work so don't know what might cause this.
Faulty oil pump within the gearbox.
Three failed brake bands (highly unlikely).
One last thing ], there is a seperate piece that fits into the end of the gearbox input shaft and transfers oil between the gearbox and the torque convertor. If you haven't refitted this it might be your problem.
It is possible to remove the gearbox without taking the engine out but its not easy. Best of luck.
yes, it is a north American transmission made by Borg Warner since the early 1950's, still in use in old Studebakers and plenty parts available, plenty rebuilders too, just search for "DG-250 transmission" in any search engine.