MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jaguar MKII Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

And we are back in the game, slowly moving towards the paint.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Mish, like me, you are going to feel so good when the car gets color! Great job!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for The info Daimler I will check that out. I knew there was a kit to eliminate the leaf springs and fit coils. I was thinking more of half shafts?? I might just go with a ford 9' inch with a true trac diff. I'm a long way from mechanical stuff yet but, information is power!

Everad I will post some pics when I can figure out how.

Primaz, I look forward to you getting your car up and running, as I expect you are

I also wanted to gauge you guys opinion on this...

I have a friend who is a quality engine builder. I was thinking of getting the 3.8 rebuilt and dyno'd to sell. What do you think it would be worth? As opposed to just selling it as is.

Any opinions guys...thoughts??

Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Look at my posting on this thread just above, made on 7/2 there is a link so you know what a professional shop would charge so my guess is since a person does not know whom your builder is, etc. as he is a home builder, I would guess about 50-70% of the numbers in the link below. Also I think converting it to the IRS is the way to go, XKsunlimited also sells a kit.

"When you add the cost of a quality fuel injection and the cost of rebuilding the engine which for the long block done right will be about $7K plus another $1500 or so for headwork, here is a typical yet many others will charge more for a decent rebuilt (Engine Rebuilding ) I would guess that you are likely to be exceeding $12-$15K easily "

Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi i just found this site i am about to put a ls1 gm v8 engine in my mk1 it has disc brakes as standard i would like to update the front is willowood the answer im not sure if the rear end is the same as the mk2 its not an irs i was thinking of a shortened ser3 but would love to get the handling out of the original if it were possible

Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by glennd
Hello to all,
First time here, came across this site and was very interested. I am in the process of building a Mk2 using the compnents from a 2005 xj350 so would like to swap ideas. The xj350 was 7 months old had 12,000kms before been written off so the interior is like new. So far the Mk2 has been completely stripped and POR 15 applied. I have cut the mounts for the new seats, centre console, steering wheel, front seat belts I plan to use a SB chev with a supra gearbox. Here are some pics.
Do you have any more pictures of the floor set up for the seats as I am planning to do the same with my MK2. Did you just install the front seats or the rear seats as well? Any help would be appriciated.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seats

Hello

I had to cut the original seat mounting as the new bucket seats werent going to fit. What I did was to cut the top and then place the top back into the space. I have included a few pics. I think I made the slope about 7 degrees. ie the front is higher than the back, I intend keeping the original handbrake mechanism so I allowed enough height at the back. The sides I made from some sheet I had laying around and just tack these in until you get it right, just grind off the excess. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar MKII Engine swap-p1010007.jpg   Jaguar MKII Engine swap-p1010003.jpg   Jaguar MKII Engine swap-p1010004.jpg   Jaguar MKII Engine swap-p1010005.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
raym (10-17-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 PM

Hello, I have owned a /68 Daimler v8 for 20 odd years, I'm interested in motor and suspension upgrades. My car is steel gray (bluish gray) new interior, dark blue, added wood; re doors, (but not dash,yet!) it's in great condition! but, I also drive and XJS, and it puts everything to shame in the Daimler.
Anyone interested in a trade, for a Mk2 or Daimler, upgraded engine,(/96 & up) suspension, rear and front. mine would be a perfect donor! Cheers, David

Old 09-23-2012, 01:44 AM

hi i have my mk1 striped down ready for engine transplant ls1 or2 it has disc brake rear i think the same as mk2 i know i should put a xj irs rear in but just thought would the existing one handle this extra power

Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Default no need to upgrade the rear brakes...

Originally Posted by loftymk1
hi i have my mk1 striped down ready for engine transplant ls1 or2 it has disc brake rear i think the same as mk2 i know i should put a xj irs rear in but just thought would the existing one handle this extra power
My 3.8s has a 450 HP LS1 and as far as brakes all you need to do is upgrade the front brakes, I used the Willwood brake upgrade kit from XK'sUnlimited, that is plenty of brakes for a big horsepower LS engine.

I think it would be worth it to look at wrecking yards as you are likely to find a 3.8s irs and then you can just swap that entire rear suspension for the rears and leave the stock disc brakes that come with the entire rear end of the 3.8s alone, just beef up the irs with the "Watts Linkage" and you are good to go; look for my posting on beefing up the rear suspension on my 3.8s for big horsepower on this forum.

For increased handling you might check what I have done on that same posting as I converted all of the suspension to adjustable coil over shocks...

Last edited by primaz; 09-23-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 AM

thanks yes it should be easier to put a 3.8s irs hard to find out here australia but at least i hope i wont have to mod to much i like the idea of coil overs i need to check were the gear

stick comes through as im going manual and would like to keep it looking stock

Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM

I have a 61 MK2 that has been without a drivetrain for 29 of the 30 years I've owned it...uh, don't ask. I have kept it all these years, never wanting to give up on the dream of driving it one day.
I'm going to use the drivetrain from my low-mileage 2002 Blazer in it.
My Jag has an electric sunroof, which I would assume is quite rare. It was originally red with black seats. Someone painted it dark green, and I painted it navy blue. But now I think it would look great in red. I have full set of excellent seats out of an 88 VDP that I will install.
Yes, it will be a lump, but I'm not altering the body, so if someone ever wants to put it back original aftter I'm dead and gone, they can have at it. In the meantime, I will have finally have some fun with it as a nice daily driver. David

Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Originally Posted by wixom61
I have a 61 MK2 that has been without a drivetrain for 29 of the 30 years I've owned it...uh, don't ask. I have kept it all these years, never wanting to give up on the dream of driving it one day.
My Jag has an electric sunroof, which I would assume is quite rare. It was originally red with black seats. Someone painted it dark green, and I painted it navy blue. But now I think it would look great in red. I have full set of excellent seats out of an 88 VDP that I will install.
Yes, it will be a lump, but I'm not altering the body, so if someone ever wants to put it back original aftter I'm dead and gone, they can have at it. In the meantime, I will have finally have some fun with it as a nice daily driver. David
Welcome to the forum David,

Good luck with completing the project. Be good to see some pics here as it progresses.

A sunroof was rare on a Jaguar at that time, let alone an electric one. The usual type to see was the Webasto folding (and wind flapping / leaking) model.

Graham

Old 10-05-2012, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Default getter-done and have fun

Originally Posted by wixom61
I would call our cars "restomods" as I am not sure the true meaning of "lumps" but it sounds derogatory and something snobbish Jag stock purests would create. Your car sounds great and similar to my 3.8s as I am running a GM LS1 modern motor and Vaden Plas interior. For me to enjoy my Jag is to drive it and restomodding the jag with modern drive-train is needed to really have fun reliably and to have modern performance. I would rather own and drive a Jag restomod than any stock concourse car any day and hope you get your car done soon so you can enjoy it!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Exclamation staying in scope

A number of posts have been deleted for being out of scope as they do not further the topic of the thread. If a reader discovers that a thread is not their cup of tea, it is a simple matter to remember the title of the thread and skip over reading it when it pops to the top of the thread list due to new posts.

At this time the S-type section has 88,682 threads, this section has 612. There is really no need to fragment the section any further.

The proper place for procedural wrangling is Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following users liked this post:
primaz (10-06-2012)
Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 PM

whoo hoo
Iv just started my mk 2 and came across this sight with my intention of a jaguar V8 engine aswell.
started to strip her down as the shell will need a small amount of welding as it was last done 10 years ago but never put back on the road.
it's the daimler v8 and the engine was missing so am thinking xj 4 L or the xjr if i can get one cheep ish.
has any one droped the engine in yet or is every one just talking about it LOL.
i have noteced the sump is the wrong way around or will it sit above the cross member ??

Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi
have a look at XJR MK2 on site page,

Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevenfrances
whoo hoo
Iv just started my mk 2 and came across this sight with my intention of a jaguar V8 engine aswell.
started to strip her down as the shell will need a small amount of welding as it was last done 10 years ago but never put back on the road.
it's the daimler v8 and the engine was missing so am thinking xj 4 L or the xjr if i can get one cheep ish.
has any one droped the engine in yet or is every one just talking about it LOL.
i have noteced the sump is the wrong way around or will it sit above the cross member ??

My GM LS1 is in, running and getting close to becoming my daily driver, take a look at "3.8s sleeper body work almost done" posting......https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...e-73952/page4/

also look for Doug's posting to see the many custom mods needed to make a Jaguar V8 work....

Last edited by primaz; 11-26-2013 at 01:21 PM.