MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Proper Use of Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:23 AM
STN
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Proper Use of Overdrive

I require some help in properly using the overdrive on my 1967 Mk2. I have a 4 speed Moss box (synchro) with overdrive. I frequently drive on country roads where there are straightaways then winding curves where downshifts are needed. So, I'm going along in fourth gear, move on to overdrive on the straightaways, and then come to curves where I need to downshift. Can I leave it in overdrive and shift to fourth, third, back up, etc. or should I take it out of overdrive each time to downshift? Seems like it would be less work on the unit if I left it in overdrive instead of clicking in and out of it each time. Anyhow, I have no idea which is best.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:17 AM
Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

I presumed overdrive is only for highway crusing and using it in lower gears under heavy load would be asking for trouble.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by STN
I require some help in properly using the overdrive on my 1967 Mk2. I have a 4 speed Moss box (synchro) with overdrive. I frequently drive on country roads where there are straightaways then winding curves where downshifts are needed. So, I'm going along in fourth gear, move on to overdrive on the straightaways, and then come to curves where I need to downshift. Can I leave it in overdrive and shift to fourth, third, back up, etc. or should I take it out of overdrive each time to downshift? Seems like it would be less work on the unit if I left it in overdrive instead of clicking in and out of it each time. Anyhow, I have no idea which is best.
I don't have an over-drive on my car, but it is to my understanding that the over drive is electrically activated by a lever on the side od the steering column.
So with that said, to shift back into fourth you have to touch the lever to get back into fourth at which time the over drive is disengaged.
So when shifting into third from fourth, the over drive would be disengaged by that time anyway _ wouldn't it ?

The question here is it safe to activate the over drive while you're in third ?

The answer to that is, I think there is a switch somewhere on the trans that will only allow you to go into over-drive while it's in fourth.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:57 AM
STN
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff, yes, I found you are absolutely correct. I was able to test the overdrive arrangement on a straight, flat road: From fourth I put it in overdrive, the rpms of course dropped about 500rpm. I went back to overdrive and down shifted to third and the overdrive was disengaged. So, overdrive is only available from fourth and if one downshifts directly to third when in overdrive, the overdrive is switched out.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The only stupid question is the one that is not asked:

Do you use the clutch to shift in and out of overdrive? My previous owner said yes, but I saw a MK2 book that said no.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

No, you don't need to use the clutch with the overdrive because it uses an epicyclic gear train and a brake band to engage it under hydraulic pressure, so its a bit like an auto transmission in this respect.

There is a switch on the gearbox that detects top gear that allows the overdrive to engage when the driver switches it on. If the driver changes down the switch breaks the voltage supply to the overdrive. A solenoid is used to engage the overdrive, so when the solenoid has not volts the overdrive disengages.

The following users liked this post:
DevilDog (10-13-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I always use the clutch as it puts less stain on the o/d unit changing up or down, just use it like a fifth gear.