MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Roughly what are mk1 jaguars worth

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to say yes it does run it needs the timing chain replaced as rattling a bit and a good tune up but seems to start first go easily. But you are right with the interior being decent thats where the major $$ come into restoring a car and is the only part i can't do myself i was told that when it was restored they spent about 8k on interior which shows as the quality is outstanding.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by scatcat
I'm not advocating that it be Frankenjagged, just putting out there on the options table. Sounds like the OP wants to stay as original as possible anyway, & you won't hear any complaints from me (whatever he does!).
Now saying there's no such thing as a Mk I is like saying there was no such thing as a Small Block Chev before 1965, when the Big Block Chevs arrived on the scene. Whereas most Historians agree that the SBC began life in 1955, though it was just called a Chev V8 until the BBC arrived, with over 100 million being produced in over 60 years (a remarkable record). Similarly, while Jaguar never called the Mk I a MK I, while it was being produced. They soon started calling it the Mk I, once the Mk II was released. So, apart from the extremely Pedantic, I'd say that most people acknowledge the existence of the Mk I, these days. Though to be truly accurate/pedantic it should be stated that while the cars were built between 1955 & 1960, the name definitely dates from 1960. Though try fitting all that into a usable designation.
"Extremely Pedantic" is that similar to being "really pregnant". This poster is seeking information and it seems right to provide him with all that is possible. While I agree the factory technical materials did begin to refer to the 2.4 and 3.4 saloons as "Mark 1) when he seeks manuals and such he will find no MARK 1 parts manuals or handbooks exist under that name. Enough on that so let me be even more "extremely pedantic". The pictures posted reflect the possibility this car is at stage 3 tuning. The SU carbs and cylinder head reflect it is certainly not a standard, stage one, or stage two car. I would suggest more research into the car as the value may be quite a bit more than has been suggested. By the way when looking for the tuning manual he should search for the tuning manual for "the 2.4L saloon"--not MK1.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Whilst we all agree that the MK1 was not referred to as such by Jaguar until the MK2 came about, a simple search for Jaguar MK1 service manual will bring up the correct manuals etc. Scatcat had given some sound advice, and was simply pointing out the options to the poster, all Scatcat had said was that it was a possibility, and in your own words "it seems right to provide him with all that is possible".

It's better to provide advice on these forums than jump on someone by saying there is no such thing as a MK1, I have to say I agree with Scatcat regarding that matter.

Let's help the poster rather than pulling someone else s comment to bits, that is not at all helpful.

I personally look forward to seeing what Damian does with this project, and hope we can all provide helpful advice which of course will be each individuals opinion.

Good luck Damian, keep posting please

Old 03-11-2017, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the replies,

i know the head prefix starts with kc by memory which came up as the 3.4 head what other parts are for stage 3 tuning ?

and i know the correct term is the 2.4 and 3.4 i just use mk1 as its shorter i don't take offense to being corrected though.

as for service manuals the car came with a parts catalogue and service manual copy in the binder that has every bit of info you can think of about the car. It shows everything down to dimensions of the body and underbody for re aligning. For someone like myself with little knowledge about jaguars that book will indeed be helpful as it shows how to rebuild and fix everything.

Is there a copy of the general information book on this forum ?

Old 03-11-2017, 04:01 PM

Sorry prefix is KG not KC so mk2 3.4 head

Old 03-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 299 Likes on 215 Posts

It certainly looks to be quite a special 2.4. I think it's definitely worth more research, & keeping it "as is" is taking on more importance the more we know. ie Don't Fankenjag it!!!
I read about a well known Sth London Wheel Man, who used to always use Jags as his preferred getaway car. & he only used a 3.8 for out of town pursuits. Around town he preferred the lighter 3.4 or 2.4. It sounds like he'd have loved to take your car on a high speed tour of Sth London.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:14 PM

Hmm so how would i go about finding history on the car ?

It is a little lumpy and probably louder than factory haha so possibly a special 2.4

i have done alot of research but information is limited and my main research was about the wheel spats it has as they are very odd it would be exciting to find out the history.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:57 PM

So i found the nigel thorley book online which says the 2.4 had a cut away spat option but not so fitted ?
the cars interior/exterior colour doesn't match up going by that info so now i wonder what colours it was originally and are the odd spats infact the early cut aways possibly a rare factory part as they do appear factory ? Is it possible the lip like mk2 spats was added on later for strength ? As this was the early phase so trial and error would have to be a factor.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure you write down every part number you can see. It should be possible to work out what state of tune you have from the bits used. The build plate numbers are all important too, as they'll tell you how it was when it rolled out of Brown's Lane, including the paint code. I don't know how to find out when & where the car was first imported, but I'm sure others here can fill you in there. Do you know where & when it was last registered? If you still know the rego number you might be able to trace it's history from the relevant state authority. Are there any other clues that the car could have had some sporting mods done to it? Like suspension upgrades, disc brake conversion etc? The manual box is a good indicator that it was built as a Driver's Car. So it could have other sporting enhancements too.
I'm liking this car more, the more we learn about it. Good score!

Old 03-11-2017, 06:20 PM

I know the last rego "56 MKI" qld club rego the guy i got it from purchased it from someone in sydney around 8-10 years ago but the car came with no history. The only other thing i know was upgraded is front brakes converted to disc. I do have one piece of the interior that has a name but unsure if they owned the car or fitted the interior only.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Damian,
You should order a Heritage Certificate from Jaguar Heritage. Heritage Certificate this will give you some original build data including the colour, original engine numbers etc.
That's a good starting place, it will also give you the original number plate if it was registered in the UK being RHD.

Sometimes there are further notes, so if the Stage 3 was fitted as an option at the factory it may be on the cert.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:09 AM

Thanks Tilleyjon

That is exactly what i need, it will help to find some history even just knowing what it was like when it left the factory would be excellent.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 AM

So having a browse at mk1s i discovered this one which has the exact same spats that i have been trying to find out about it says the body work and interior is original so i am thinking the set i have are infact genuine to the mk1s.

http://www.jdclassics.co.uk/showrooms/Jaguar-MKI-3.4-RHD/11639.htm

Old 03-12-2017, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Damianp
So having a browse at mk1s i discovered this one which has the exact same spats that i have been trying to find out about it says the body work and interior is original so i am thinking the set i have are infact genuine to the mk1s.

http://www.jdclassics.co.uk/showrooms/Jaguar-MKI-3.4-RHD/11639.htm

nevermind they have a lip 😐

Old 03-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Default Stage 3

Originally Posted by Damianp
Thanks for the replies,

i know the head prefix starts with kc by memory which came up as the 3.4 head what other parts are for stage 3 tuning ?

and i know the correct term is the 2.4 and 3.4 i just use mk1 as its shorter i don't take offense to being corrected though.

as for service manuals the car came with a parts catalogue and service manual copy in the binder that has every bit of info you can think of about the car. It shows everything down to dimensions of the body and underbody for re aligning. For someone like myself with little knowledge about jaguars that book will indeed be helpful as it shows how to rebuild and fix everything.

Is there a copy of the general information book on this forum ?
The booklet you may wish to find is publication E/112 "Tuning Modifications for the Jaguar 2.4 Liter Model (8 to 1 compression ratio). It is a 12 page booklet published in 1957 (perhaps 56 but unmarked). Stage 3 builds on the modifications of stage 1 and 2 so the list is long. The claim is that stage 3 takes the B.H.P. to 150 @ 6000 rpms. Stage 2 is 131 and stage 1 is 119. Standard is reported a 112.

This material is not mine to post or I would. I always respect intellectual property rights so perhaps someone has one for sale. I would certainly expect a car ordered at stage 3 would be reflected on the build/dispatch papers as it was quite expensive as compared to the cost of the base car. I will make no attempt to add the cost in bobs and quids or what ever and will leave that to someone else here. The costs for stage 3 in 1957 (parts) was:

Engine 225 8 1
Exhaust 17 1 10
Clutch 9 13 6
Gearbox 26 5 4
Steering 8 16 11
Suspension 15 3 0

As far as "jumping" on the o/p I do not think I did and he did not take it that way. My point was and is that when you look for information or resources they are mostly listed by their title. In the case of E/112 unless it was being offered by someone who knows the history of Jaguar the moniker of "Mark 1" would not show up. If I were in the UK I would try Pook's Motor Books. Down under I would try the Jaguar Clubs! Best of luck and fingers crossed you have a stage 3 factory issue. If so the value will be significantly more than a normal issue car. Perhaps the modified spats suggest something but E 112 has no body modifications listed. It does however state that Stage 2 and 3 are directed at compliance for F.I.A (appendix J) regulations. The aim was at F.I.A. Category (1) group (3) so some help may come from those rules at the time. Best of luck. I did do a quick search for the booklet and found none--perhaps it is the type of document only a pedantic would have!

Old 03-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure if I'm the O/P who didn't take it that way (i never do ), or you mean the lucky sod who owns this beauty. But I definitely didn't take offence (I rarely do ), & I didn't mean to give any either (I definitely never do that!). Though I was stirring the pot a little with my observations, & I agree with George's point that searching for a Mk I would fail to throw up the very useful booklet above. Though I still reject his claim that there's no such thing as a Mk I, as even Jaguar called them that, after the Mk II broke cover. But it really is a minor point that only a couple of old Pedantics could be bothered arguing over. Still; it was fun while it lasted. Eh George?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:46 PM

Head prefix is KC2272-8 I thought KG but looks like KC ? Which would be mk1 3.4 head what do use think ?

Old 03-14-2017, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

I think that looks more like a G

Old 03-14-2017, 05:34 AM

By that picture it does but by memory i think its KC i presumed it was KG originally as i couldn't find info on KC I'll have to keep trying to find a KG prefix to verify it

Old 03-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Default Head

KC would be a 3.4L Saloon Head (AKA MK1). KG would be a 3.4L MK2 (AKA MK2) head. Try a back light after a bit more cleaning.