MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Seeking opinions, Modern engine in MK2

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seeking opinions, Modern engine in MK2

I have 3 MK2's (actually one is a daimler) in varying states of decomposition.
enough parts to build one complete and properly restored car, but 2 semi solid shells and parts left over.

in particular, My one shell from a Daimler is particularily solid, but is a shell only.
I have been thinking of building a family car for driving longer distances, with a modern engine that will be better on gas, not expensive to repair and has replacement parts a bit more commonly available.

as I dont want to cut up the shell to fit, V8 is not ideal. though a modern Jag V8 might be nice, it looks a problem to fit.

A less modern, but low mileage Jag AJ16 might be nice, but they are hard to find, and parts are not cheap.

A Nissan RB20 variant, looks like it would fit easily, and seem to be very inexpensive for engine/trans/ecu combo, but is not a Jag engine.

My thoughts are, to fit the Nissan engine, with cleverly engineered adaptors so no or minimum welding on the chassis is needed. then in the future I can swap out for a proper Jag engine, either modern or original. In doing so I get a car I can drive, back on the road.

I invite discussions of pros, cons and defiling a classic.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts

Violent Blue,
Cleverly, any route = $$$$$. Like looking restaurants on trip advisor with meals rates in dollars - one through four dollar signs. A project like you discuss is a five. Although, it's very satisfying to a hobbiest.
Pick one, open your wallet, and enjoy.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

To me the focus should be on what will make you happy. If you do a quality engine swap with something modern you cannot go wrong as it will be fun and hold a good resale value; they key is modern engine technology. My modern V8 3.8s is a blast to drive. I have almost 60,000 miles on it in two years with no issues and I drive her pretty hard. I also have had several offers to sell it well over what I have in the car so do not worry about cutting the car for a motor swap as what is more important is doing the swap right and with good quality.

The RB engines are much better than any of the Jaguar engines. I would get an RB 26 or higher as the larger displacement is where you will see mild stock engines easily pulling 350-500 HP and these engines will lay down big HP of 700 to 1100 HP. What is amazing is that these engines are still reliable street cars even when they are 500-800 HP as they are bullet proof.

I would not worry about ever changing your Jaguar from an RB to a Jaguar engine as to me that would be drastic performance drop and if I saw I well built RB in a Jaguar I would have paid 50-70K no problem. If you spend around 30K on a Jaguar 6 you only get around 300 HP and if you go crazy maybe you can get more with a turbo but say so long to reliability not that those engines have anywhere near the reliability of an RB engine.

I think an RB Jaguar would be great and if you do some mild performance upgrades it will provide as much or more power than a V8 and be a super reliable car on the street.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:20 AM

I've also been looking at Toyota 2JZ power plants. looks like I can pick one up for a reasonable price, 300 stock horse power is appealing, I doubt I would ever need more than that for a family cruiser.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I like the idea of a late Jaguar six in an early car but the electronics are daunting. I would imagine that the later engine is a bit larger. Running XJ40s and X300s are dirt cheap in California. I thought that using the engine trans combo in an early car would be a good match. I've wondered if a "Megasquirt" engine control system could be successfully adapted as a stand alone engine control system. I suppose there are guys out there that could adapt the existing engine and body electrical harness but that would be tough, I know that I couldn't do it. Since the last of the Jag sixes are all electronic engine management, fuel injection, distributor less, electronic transmission interface, etc. I would think that it would work. I haven't looked into it yet. On the other hand, a Chevy V8 sawp is a known quantity. I saw an early XJ6 with a Chevy straight six transplant for sale on CL last year. I don't think that would be a good choice, as that motor weighs about as much as the small block V8 and performance options and equipment are scarce and expensive.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

The Nissan Skyline and the Toyota inline 6 are great engines and the other advantage is there are many tuners since both engines can get up to the 1100 to 1200 HP.

Modern Jaguars engines are not often modified so getting someone to do a custom computer mod is harder. Also most of the modern Jaguar engines other than the current V8's are not that powerful so it will be to me a lot of work, it could be done but you have to be determined and not worry about the cost.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:05 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

What about the 3.0 V6 from an S type? A little more BHP and torque than the 3.8 XK unit, amazingly fuel efficient, reasonably compact, and very light which should ease installation, and improve handling. They are incredibly strong and reliable; mine has had nothing beyond servicing in 157,000 miles, and one of my customers has one approaching 400,000, with just standard maintenance, and a couple of coil packs replaced.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:08 AM

the 3.0 s type engine does seem a less costly option, but if you are going through the trouble of putting a V engine in, its about the same amount of work for a V8.
and less costly in engine swaps is still costly.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ViolentBlue
the 3.0 s type engine does seem a less costly option, but if you are going through the trouble of putting a V engine in, its about the same amount of work for a V8.
and less costly in engine swaps is still costly.

You are totally on track. If you are adamant on keeping a swap using a Jaguar engine it can be done but not easy as there are few tuners that will customize the computer ECU, etc. and you will be the first finding out what issues will arise. Only the very new 2015+ models have big HP in my opinion. You can swap with a Jaguar engine you just need to be even more passionate and not let problems stop the build.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:47 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

The biggest issue with really modern engines is that they are ties into the rest of the cars system via the CANBUS, so trying to fit a modern ecoboost motor or something like that can become difficult compared to an older engine swap like the RB or 2JZ, which just use a normal wiring to ECU setup.

The best bet would be to set yourself a few requirements.

Will you be doing it yourself or outsourcing
Budget
Power requirements
Usuability
Running costs
Stock looking?
Jaguar powerplant or something else
Engine bay customisation or try and fit it in without modifying anything

Those are just some things to think about.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

run a modern engine on a stand alone ECU,

Old 02-03-2017, 02:04 PM

I have a 4.2 v8 from a VW touareg, for another project.
it has been a huge PITA to get up and running on a standalone ECU. I dont think I want to go throught that with the Jag. I think I've settled on a 2JZ

Old 02-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

what standalone did you use,
have in the uk,we can make 4L/4.2,
run ok,

Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 PM

Megasquirt
its the newer 40v engine with VVT, which is where the problems come in.

Last edited by ViolentBlue; 02-04-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:28 AM

The problem with not using the factory ECU on a modern engine is just how complex some of the new motors can be.

Take a modern quad cam V6/V8 that runs 4 variable cam timing, sensors for each cam, 2knock sensors, direct injection fuel system, individual cylinder control and more, no basic aftermarket ECU can control so much, and then the cost of getting a decent standalone setup to operate one, not to mention even having it tuned anywhere near as close as the manufacturer did with the original ECU, and you will be looking at a bill probably closer to $10k, once you add the ECU, required sensors, wiring loom, any additional I/O boxes required, and then tuning the ECU to suit, which doesn't just take one day.

Being able to run the factory ECU and fooling it into thinking the CANBUS is operating properly is a much easier option, plus most ECU's have the ability to be "flashed" these days to retune them, meaning you keep all the original programming for cold starts, part throttle tuning, and then just adjust what is required to suit the new setup, be it bigger turbo and injectors etc

Old 02-05-2017, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

You sound like you know your stuff Stoney85. Do you "lump" Jags for a living? If so, will you do mine?

Old 02-05-2017, 04:47 PM

I've had my head in engine bays more than most, but everyday is a learning curve and fabrication it something I'm yet to master, I've tuned ViPEC, Haltech and WOLF ECU's, rewired engine conversions with new looms from scratch, helped build circuit cars, built splitters, diffusers, rebuilt motors and used to own a 450rwkw RB26 Skyline that I built myself, made exhaust systems and intercooler pipework

And I'm still money poor.

I'm yet to get started on my MK2 Jag with a 2JZ conversion, still finishing up my Datto 1600 rewire, and repair of any faulty parts in the car.

I've given that all up though apart from a hobby now to chase a new career in the medical industry, as a Monoplace Hyperbaric Chamber designer/manufacturer/seller