MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

What have I found?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Worth more than that in parts, someone would pay a premium for the original power steering setup alone.
The IRS as well as the front subframe setup are worth a bit too.

It really depends if you have the time and effort to put into stripping it, because it looks to far gone to be a salvagable car, great for spares, especially if you had another S type you were restoring.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 299 Likes on 215 Posts

True dat. If the car was close to me I'd snaffle it at that price. Just the bright work & the glass would be worth the investment. The body would just go straight down the back gully for landfill.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I would put it on blocks, wash it, and use it as a playhouse for kids, complete with a radio.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I would put it on blocks, wash it, and use it as a playcar for kids, complete with a working radio.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

With that amount of rusty metal to cut themselves on?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:31 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

C'mon guys, where's your sense of adventure?
It's a survivor car!
I hate to see any cars like this end up with the crusher. Just think of the first owner, the joy of taking delivery of his/her brand new Jag, straight off the showroom floor.
Yeah, you're right. I'm crazy. It's why I never venture to the local dog pound.
The agony of it all!

Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

Anything is restorable if enough money is available. And not so much the money, but time and patience.
The biggest problem with that car are the vast areas of surface rust on the body where the paint would of not normally worn off.
Two new front fenders and hood (donor hood from another car), but the top, if it pitted right through, who knows what can be done about that.
All the bits for the under carriage are probably available as well as new door skins and rocker panels.

Lets get started !

Old 02-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

It's the structural rust I'd be most concerned about. & there comes to a stage with a project like this where it becomes like Grandpa's Axe. It's had five new Handles & three new new Heads. But it's still the same Axe my Grandpappy used.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's true, at least you can see the main square tubes running the length of the car that is the main structure. Most unit body's have no discernable frame to speak off.
My dad had a 63 P5 Rover that was so rusted, when it was put on the hoist, the body flexed and the doors wouldn't close.
It had no main frame at all, it was just layers of sheet metal all welded together underneath.
The floor, rocker panels and transmission tunnel were a part of the whole, if you lost the rocker panels, the structure would have been compromised, unlike our Jags.

What makes this car look so bad is the rusted sheet metal, I bet the underneath is still in tact.
Where they do rust out is where the outer stabilizer bars on the rear suspension comes in contact with the body, but that usually doesn't happen sitting in a field, it's driving it around in salty conditions.

It may have seen allot of salt though.

Last edited by JeffR1; 02-07-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

I'd lump it! Primaz can tell you how.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I seem to remember this person was seeking advice on restoring this car not buying it as a parts car. I am in the parts business and I buy XJS cars for parts not to restore. I see that some people think that it is worth saving but the truth is, not every car can nor should be saved. The car is not worth anywhere near the time nor the cost to restore. I have saved several people from spending too much on an XJS and I am in the business of selling parts to them. The only way you may find a rust bucket worth saving at a great cost and time is a sports car and not a sedan. Even if you want to part it out, you will find that the parts on this car that need replacing are the items others are looking for.

You can do what you want but as someone in the business, I ask that you search for such a car in the market then you will see the value in my advise.

LeRoy

Old 02-08-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by redtriangle
It's a survivor car!
I don't think it's survived

The following users liked this post:
JeffR1 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, no kidding !

Old 02-09-2017, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder if crowd funding could resurrect it?

Old 02-09-2017, 03:52 AM
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Now listen up! You guys aren't thinking logically.

Just consider how many Lagondas, Mark 5 Jags, Bentley MK XI's, Alvis', etc etc have gone to the tip. In 60 years this car will (er' could?) be worth money!

Interestingly, on this note, our local Riley Club has a 1958 Pathfinder. It is in a poor state having been left to the elements for years. This particular car has some history, it was the Police Car which accompanied Queen Liz's Daimler when she toured Oz in 1954. So you imagine there are some diehards in the Club who want this car saved, but no one is volunteering. Therein lies a dilemma!

Last edited by redtriangle; 02-09-2017 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Cos
Old 02-09-2017, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

Now that one could be worth crowd funding. This particular Jag's molecules will to be in their current arrangement in 60 years time, & will most likely be enriching the soil of the spot it's left to rot on.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Certain cars that may have been expensive in there day, doesn't necessarily make them worth saving now.
The Silver Shadow and the standard body MK VI Bentley (or even the Sliver Dawn for that matter).
There are just too many examples of some of theses cars around to make them valuable enough to sink money into them.
Popularity of a body when it was released is another huge factor, the S-Type wasn't that popular...

Old 02-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I concur with JeffR1. My wife bought a Silver Spirit new in 84 at $165,000 and was told by the sales person that if she maintained low mileage that the car would increase in value and would yeld a great ROI. Not only did she pay $30,000 more than it was worth but what the sales person told her was far from the truth. I met my wife 16 years after the purchase, the car had 3,300 mi on the clock under a cover in her CT climate controlled garage never driven in the rain or snow. When we were married and then began making trips from Greenwich to my home in Hilton Head, a 14 hr trip, things started to wear so I spent $22,000 in a two yr period to replace anything worn. Service was always performed at Bently Greenwich and Bently Highpoint, therefore the service record was superb.

Then we sold it and after much advertising was lucky to get $26,500 so much for ROI. Now bare in mind that RR and Bentley are luxury items and such things are never an investment. However the E-type before it increased in value in recent years was not a car that many were willing to pay forward of $100,000. As they became older and rarer people began to bid higher at auction. The most important thing to note is cars that bring high dollars are sports models with two doors and as the saying of old, once the top goes down, the price goes up.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:01 PM

Predicting what car will rise in value the day it is sold, is a massive hit and miss, much better investments elsewhere, but buying a classic car at the right time can pay off in dividends.

For example, look at the value of old Ferraris over the last 5 years, cars goings from $500,000 to $2million, D type Jaguar sold around for $15mill, AC cobra for $12mill

Porsche 911's are going up at a crazy rate too, 5 years ago I could pick up and older 70's 911 for $30-40k, now I'd be lucky to find one for under $100k.

But an S-type will never go up in value, compared to the MK2 or E type it has no cult status, no racing history, not a desirable model.

Face the reality and let it rot away, if you have other S types, let the rest rot and yours will then increase in value.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

S-Type values get dragged up by rises in Mk II's & E-Types. So though they'll never match the values of those cars. They have enough fans, who can see the value & technical superiority of the car, over the Mk II. To ensure that they will always be an appreciating asset. As long as they're not allowed to deteriorate to the level of this poor old dear. I just hope that it delivered lots of fun & enjoyment to it's Owners, on it's long slide down the slippery slope to oblivion!