New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Hello

My name is John Flanagan.
I live in northern VA.

I drive an '06 XK8 convertible - about 75K miles - 4.2 liter / 6 speed automatic - which I've had since it was new and has treated me pretty well.

I've been reading posts on this site for years and learned a lot of good stuff about my Jag.

And now a troublesome mechanical problem has prompted me to join and actively seek advice.

My problem is very similar to one I read about on this site:
In Oct 2013, "rflexible" wrote about multiple gearbox faults in an '03 XK8 over a period of 6 weeks.
They were preceded by "harsh shifting" from first to second gear.

In my '06, I've had two "gear box fault" messages.
First one in early June was preceded by several weeks of gradually slower shifts from 2nd to 3rd and then occasional, unexpected banging into gear.
This was severe enough to jolt the vehicle and occurred at relatively low vehicle speeds (say 20 to 40 mph) and light throttle position.
Finally got gear box fault message while driving 75 miles from home and vehicle went into limp home mode.
Got it to nearest Jag dealer for evaluation. Mechanic called next day to say
diagnostics showed multiple codes (P0782, P1111, P1582 among a total of 21 total).
HOWEVER - he could find nothing wrong with the trans - no leaks or other signs of failure and no problems at all during a road test.
He further said the trans in my Jag was a very good one, and widely used in European vehicles.
He said there was nothing to fix. He recommended I take it home and hope problem didn't happen again.
He did note that there were "reprogramming" steps that could be taken for the engine and transmission control modules, but recommended against it unless there were future problems.
I drove home and then drove the car most of 2,000 miles over next 3 months without incident.
Then about a week ago, entire process repeated itself - except that - gear box failure message and limp home mode initiation occurred in my own driveway instead of 75 miles away.
After sitting for two days, car again ran fine on short trips.
Have talked to two local shops about a repair strategy. They admitted they could only guess at cause (and solution) unless I brought the vehicle to them while in limp home mode (easier said than done).

So here I am.
Would be most grateful to hear from anyone who can offer me some insight and suggestions about next steps.
Either way, thanks for reading my tale of woe.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Hello, John,
We have a very active XH8 section where you will doubtless find help. Someone will be along shortly to direct you there.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Received 3,815 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Welcome aboard John

Old 09-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

The following users liked this post:
jtflanaga (09-28-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 09-25-2015, 05:41 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-25-2015, 06:42 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Welcome.

If that car was mine, and it s not (I wish it was), I would be seriously looking at a trans fluid service, including the filter, which I think? is the plastic pan itself.

At that mileage, it is due, sealed for life transmission or not.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome

Old 09-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums John,

Good to have you with us.
I've copied your post to the XK8 section you can find it here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-150477/
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

jtflanaga (09-28-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 09:04 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Welcome to the forum John,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I can see you've already found your way to the XK8/XKR tech forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

jtflanaga (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Francis,

Thanks very much for your reply. Hadn't focused on fact that the maintenance schedule for my Jag has NO transmission servicing. Will look into this. Thanks again.

John