New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hi from a new UK Jag owner and his XJS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Hi from a new UK Jag owner and his XJS

Hi everyone. Ifinally got round to introducing myself and my XJS after 2 months ownership ofmy first ever Jaguar. Don’t know howlong these intros should be so here goes.
Firstly I would like to say how lucky I was to find thisforum. A very big thank you to all ofyou guys who have so kindly given of your time to advise a novice on variousXJS queries I have raised on the forum. It is also great that the forum is so international, firstly because itis fun to converse with people around the world and secondly because you willprobably get a response 24/7 due to the time differences. Hopefully as my knowledge increases I canrepay the kindness.
I had been looking for an XJS for the last 9 months. Perceived wisdom was that I should buy a late4.0 litre auto with outboard brakes, a galvanised body and an AJ16 engine. So what did I buy? You got it - a pre-facelift, 1990, 3.6 AJ6,manual with in-board brakes. Bottom linewas of all the cars I looked at it ticked the most boxes as I’ll explain later.
In terms of gearboxes it was the first manual I had drivenon the open road and, no disrespect to you auto drivers, it was so much moreengaging to drive than the autos I had driven. I felt at one with the car.
The car has an interesting history, currently 135k miles butit covered 80k miles in its first 2 years. I don’t know how anyone could drive this far in such a short time(hopefully motorway miles) but at least the car went back to the Jaguarsupplying dealer every 3 or 4 months for services as the mileage limits rolledup. So I guess it was a great way to runthe car in. It then spent 10 years or sodoing normal stuff before being taken off the road for a further 10 years. During this time it was in a heated workshopon axle stands whilst its then owner, a professional classic car restorer,rebuilt just about everything possible on the front and rear suspension, plus brakes,custom leather interior, headlining, various body panels and re-spray. I think the lay-up explains why the body isso good - I could only find 1 piece of filler about 1 inch in diameter in thewhole car.
So, on the basis of theabove I went for it. As I mentioned Ihad seen several cars but they all had compromises. It seems unless you spend mega bucks you haveto accept compromise and I decided this was the one for me. I’m sure like a good mistress she will emptymy pockets before moving on to a more affluent owner but it will be fun whileit lasts. To prove this the water pumpfailed a few days into ownership (although it got me 100 miles home) and I had tohave it replaced. This was my firstintroduction to the cost / scarcity of Jaguar parts compared with the MGs I hadbeen used to.
There remain lots of thingsI have to sort; radio and aircon are u/s, clock and ALBS not working, stillhave a rattle from N/S rear suspension, driver’s door hinges needreplacing. I also am concerned about the135k miles and wonder if I am heading for major engine and transmissionrebuilds - only time will tell. But withso much work done already I figure it is my turn to contribute and continue thepreservation of such a beautiful car.
Finally to me; A Chartered civil engineer in my 60s livingin Surrey, UK. At the moment I still havean understanding wife (well she comes from Coventry the home of Jaguar) andgrown up kids plus 1 granddaughter (8 months). Love to travel especially USA / Canada. I’ve always been lucky enough to have had a classic play thing dependingon the growing family’s needs. To datethis has included Austin Devon, Triumph Spitfire, Ford Cortina Mk II, Rover P4100, Volvo 740/940, MGB GT, MGF. Dreamcar – a Volvo 1800 (as the “Saint” used to drive) but non rusty cars are so, soexpensive. Meanwhile, I have my lovelyXJS to enjoy - my “Lady in Red”.
Look forward to conversing.
All the best,
LeeP
Saved the best till last, pictures below...

The following users liked this post:
GGG (08-17-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum Lee,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. That's what I call an Intro!

I can see you've already found your way to the XJS technical forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the UK & Eire Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/uk-eire-68/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

<p>welcome to the forum - enjoy!!</p>

Old 08-18-2015, 05:49 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Lee,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 08-18-2015, 06:25 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Now the pics

Hope this works!
LeeP

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front pic.pdf (494.0 KB, 121 views)