New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Jaguar Driver

Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Jaguar Driver

Hello everybody. I grew up on the middle of the corn and bean fields of central Illinois (USA) and moved to the Atlanta, Georgia suburbs in 2004. Since the age of 14 I have been an avid bicycle rider. For the last 2-1/2 years I was riding a bicycle to work, which is a bicycle shop, as my sole transportation, rain or shine. A short time after starting to commute by bicycle I even sold my car. My wife has a separate car, so I was not grocery shopping by bicycle or anything like that. I was hit by a car while riding my bike to work in August though, so I had to buy a car again. I have owned a lot of different cars in my life, but until recently, never a foreign car. Many times I had looked at Jaguars in the lane next to me and thought they looked great with that leaping big cat on the hood, but always wanted to support buying American cars. I heard that some of the Jaguars were made while owned by Ford, so I figured it would be ok to buy one of those. I had never even ridden in one owned by somebody else. In late August I found a 2006 S-Type with the naturally aspirated 4.2L. I fell in love with it. I am very impressed with the quality of the brand. Unfortunately a lady driving her 2016 Mercedes mini SUV attempted a U-turn from the right lane while I was in the left lane. She did not see me. I crashed my new Jaguar into the side of her, doing quite a bit of damage to the front end. Soon I will be getting insurance money out of that and have a decision to make. Fix this one or get a different one (Jaguar). Mine has the built-in navigation touch-screen thing and have not been happy with that part of my car. The phone system occasionally tells me the car is not fitted with a phone system, even when I have been driving for a while and already had the phone connected. The navigation system rarely works at all and is so antiquated, I would not want to use it anyway. I am disappointed to not have the ability to listen to music with the Bluetooth system. I have one of those phone holders with a wire going into my phone's headphone jack to broadcasts to an FM radio station for my music, but it is scratchy. As I understand it, by reading posts on this forum, I am stuck with the stereo system I have now due to it also controlling the climate. For that reason alone, I think I will end up with a different Jaguar instead of sticking with the one I have. I am plenty satisfied with the regular 4.2L motor I have now. I definitely would not NEED a super-charged version, but also would not want a V6 at all. If I buy another S-Type, I will look for one with the more generic stereo system without navigation so that I can put an awesome modern system that lets me stream my music and movies. If I go with a newer Jaguar, either XF or XJ, that I have been seeing I want one that does not have the same exact antiquated non-upgradeable system like I have now. Are there certain model years of those that I may experience that same problem? I am also wondering if there is a quality difference in an XF and XJ or only the size difference. I am curious if there is a significant difference in car insurance rates between the supercharged cars and the naturally aspirated V8's. Any advice before I need to go shopping would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails New Jaguar Driver-img_20161207_141946.jpg   New Jaguar Driver-img_20161207_141954.jpg   New Jaguar Driver-img_20161207_142001.jpg   New Jaguar Driver-img_20161207_142037.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 01:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Welcome to the forum CThomas,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Fortunately it looks an easy repair from the photos.

A thirteen year old Jaguar is inevitably going to have an antiquated Audio, Navigation and Phone system. A problem with all models is these systems are so integrated that it's difficult to upgrade. Choose your next Jaguar carefully!

Follow this link S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/usa-lower-atlantic-nc-sc-fl-ga-66/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 01-13-2017, 03:21 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Welcome.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:21 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:06 AM
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,783 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 AM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

welcome to the forum

Old 01-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums CThomas,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 01-13-2017, 07:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you say "A problem with all models is these systems are so integrated that it's difficult to upgrade.", does that include some of the newer models (>=2009)?

Old 01-13-2017, 09:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by CThomas
When you say "A problem with all models is these systems are so integrated that it's difficult to upgrade.", does that include some of the newer models (>=2009)?
Yes. Because audio, navigation and phone are now integrated in the 'infotainment' centre, installing aftermarket upgrades to any of these systems is more difficult than with earlier years.

However, the 2009 onwards systems are way ahead of your current 2006 in both function and performance.

Ask the question on the XE and XJ forums for opinions and advice from owners of these models.

Graham

Old 01-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

I'm sorry you got into another crash.
As I was reading your story, I noticed you talked yourself out of keeping this car even if you get it fixed. That's probably a good thing because even if it's done well it will never be "right." If nothing else, YOU will always know it had been in a wreck and you'll find this isn't quite right, and that isn't quite right, and so on.

Getting another car equipped as you want seems to be the thing for you to do.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')