XF (X260) 2015 onwards

2016 Jag XF Cheapened!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry 2016 Jag XF Cheapened!

Several weeks ago I visited a Jaguar dealer to see the 2015 XF. The car seemed very comfortable with a large selection of colors and interior combinations, even wood trim choices. very nice and British!!

Now I see the 2016 version and am astounded that this vehicle was released by Jaguar/Tata mangement.
  1. The car now has 17 colors (including three reds), but the interior is devoid of the variety of choices the predecessor had!
  2. The leather choices are down from various seat and roof color combos to just three seat colors.
  3. The wood trim selection is down from three to one!
I understand that the decision makers may have wanted to keep prices down with the addition of all-aluminum construction, but they eliminated the items that set Jaguar apart as a luxuriously-appointed car; its interior.

Rather than change what they did, they could have eliminated those "swing-open air vents" and "rising gear seletor knob," that I felt were tacky to begin with.

Compare this new interior to the MB E-Class; much more wood visible in the MB now. This is opposite to what was the norm.

Wake up Jaguar/Tata! It seems you are trying to compete with Japanese luxury cars now, instead of MB and BMW.

Newsflash: People who buy Japanese luxury cars don't even look at Jaguar!

Stick to your strengths!

The following 2 users liked this post by 11ltdsil:
Isoruku (01-29-2016), pkoko (04-13-2016)
Old 04-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Don't know that I would panic just yet. I'm sure higher trim levels are on the way and will open up options not available on the lower models.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:40 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Not saying that the material quality is the same, but not impressed by the overall interior design. Was hoping for more from Jaguar.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Jag XF Cheapened!-corolla.jpg   2016 Jag XF Cheapened!-jag.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

im a little disappointed by the interior as well. Its still a nice one, but i was hoping for a smaller version of the current XJ's interior. that thing makes you feel at home!!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Although there may be similarities in the above design photos, the jag interior has better design integration. Personally, I like the simplicity of the current xf. This looks more like it is along the XJ lines of design detailing.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

really late reply but the 2016 has numerous color choices for the interior, three for the wood trim, a choice of the suede headliner in the Luxury Pack and a myriad of exterior colors as well.

Here's my 2016 XF-S

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Jag XF Cheapened!-jaguar-3.jpg  
Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

The interior is still sub-par. I would buy the E-Class over it every day of the week

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

I drive an 2014 XF (my third) . This new 2016 lineup (XF, XE, F-P) is not even close when it comes to quality of materials, nor does it convey the special Jaguar feel when you sit inside. It does not feel special like a Jag should!!!! I do like the new clean layout, but there are some stupid ergonomic mistakes too.
I think Jaguar might have pushed themselves into a corner with the all-out commitment to new Aluminum intensive architecture technology. It is more expensive to manufacture, and so trying to keep the pricing somehow competitive require other cost cutting measures.

Last edited by yidal8; 04-15-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by 11ltdsil
Rather than change what they did, they could have eliminated those "swing-open air vents" and "rising gear seletor knob," that I felt were tacky to begin with.
I agree 100%. This cheap gimmicky crap has NO place on a Jaguar. They would've been better off having a leaper on the hood that hid away when it was about to crash into a pedestrian.

pkoko (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
They would've been better off having a leaper on the hood that hid away when it was about to crash into a pedestrian.
Ok, now that was funny!

FRGIII2014 (08-07-2018)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yidal8
...Jaguar might have pushed themselves into a corner with the all-out commitment to new Aluminum intensive architecture technology. It is more expensive to manufacture, and so trying to keep the pricing somehow competitive require other cost cutting measures...
This.
Sad.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by pkoko
The interior is still sub-par. I would buy the E-Class over it every day of the week
I think the XF interior is going for the Tesla look -- gimmicky tech and minimalist design. Thought I am sure the XF exhaust sounds a lot better.

Personally I prefer a richer luxurious look.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I think the XF interior is going for the Tesla look -- gimmicky tech and minimalist design. Thought I am sure the XF exhaust sounds a lot better.
I think Jaguar might have pushed themselves into a corner with the all-out commitment to new Aluminum intensive architecture technology. It is more expensive to manufacture, and so trying to keep the pricing somehow competitive require other cost cutting measures.
I've been a European performance/luxury car driver for a long time, but prior to the XF, I would have never considered a modern Jag. Now, after a long search over the past few months, I've come to believe that the XF is the best overall package in its class.

I want traditional BMW-like handling. I say "traditional" because BMW no longer offers it in their current non-M models. It's not my only requirement, but it is my first requirement. And I think the aluminum weight savings of the XF is the primary reason for the car's handling characteristics. If it didn't weigh 300-400 pounds less than the competition, I don't think it would drive as it does.

But adding all that aluminum and dropping the price (at least in the US) had to squeeze money from somewhere, and I agree that it came from the car's interior. I think that compared to the competition, the interior's OK - but only OK. It's certainly not special. It's certainly not Jaguar special. I'm willing to make that trade-off, but what I find interesting is that Jag is willing to make that trade-off. I do wonder whether the XF has too sporting a drive and a too minimalist interior for its traditional market. Did Jag make a conscientious decision to risk its older market to woo new buyers from BMW and Audi (like me)?

It'll be interesting to see how this all works out for jaguar. But I'm also guessing that we'll see an optional upgraded interior option in the near future.

nlt624 (04-22-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 AM

It does indeed feel like Jag made a decision to ignore (for now?) its existing and loyal customer base, and go after new buyers in order to increase market share. However, it is my belief that XF sales in the US will not increase, also because the price is at least 10% higher compared to similarly equipped 2015 XF.
Jag claims they lower the prices, but it's a marketing gimmick, and pertains only for the base model (not even leather seats, etc.) that no body buys.
Of course, If they come up with very very attractive lease program, it will be a different story.

Last edited by yidal8; 04-18-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It does indeed feel like Jag made a decision to ignore (for now?) its existing and loyal customer base, and go after new buyers in order to increase market share. However, it is my belief that XF sales in the US will not increase, also because the price is at least 10% higher compared to similarly equipped 2015 XF.
Jag claims they lower the prices, but it's a marketing gimmick, and pertains only for the base model (not even leather seats, etc.) that no body buys.
Of course, If they come up with very very attractive lease program, it will be a different story.
I believe that they want to "load up" the vehicles in order to compete with the other makers. I have the luxury interior package with the suede cloth roof liner and upgraded seats (14 way driver and passenger) interior finish and seat material. That said, it is a $75K (US) vehicle.

The touting of the new XE starting in the mid $30K range is just like what you get with a 3 series BMW if you stick with the "base" model. Those BMW's had seats like concrete bags finished in plastic and a really cheap interior.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Some of you might recall the XF's predecessor, the S-Type, initially had a very low market interior but later got a VDP optional upgrade. Jaguar should do the same for the XF.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM

Interior does not meet expectations again.

Review: 2017 Jaguar F-Pace - NY Daily News

And this is in the 'First Edition' F-Pace with the top everything thrown in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

. . . it is my belief that XF sales in the US will not increase, also because the price is at least 10% higher compared to similarly equipped 2015 XF. Jag claims they lower the prices, but it's a marketing gimmick, and pertains only for the base model (not even leather seats, etc.) that no body buys.
Originally Posted by Magnumforc
I believe that they want to "load up" the vehicles in order to compete with the other makers. I have the luxury interior package with the suede cloth roof liner and upgraded seats (14 way driver and passenger) interior finish and seat material. That said, it is a $75K (US) vehicle. The touting of the new XE starting in the mid $30K range is just like what you get with a 3 series BMW if you stick with the "base" model. Those BMW's had seats like concrete bags finished in plastic and a really cheap interior.
I'm not as familiar with the prior model Jaguars as everyone else is, but I think the older cars were priced higher, but were spec'd poorer, than their European competitors. And that didn't go over well in the North American market where Jaguar just doesn't carry a lot of positive brand cache. But if Jag can get Americans into the showroom, I think the XF (and F-Pace) go a long way to changing that, and pricing is definitely part of the equation.

My fully loaded XF S has a MSRP of just over $81k. That's crazy of course, but a similarly spec'd 535ix stickers at just over $80k. Now the BMW has a much nicer smooth nappa leather interior, but that's where the positive comparisons end. The Jag has 380hp vs the BMW's 300; 20" vs 19" wheels; 3880 vs 4156 pounds; FAR superior steering and driving dynamics; better tech (I hope) with inControl Pro . . . And then we can talk about the difference in styling.

I think Jag had to do everything right - including pricing - to get traffic into their stores. It worked for me!

Old 04-19-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

bottom line- when old-timer Jagsters like myself think about a Jag, we think LUXURY WOOD and LEATHER, not SPORT.
Looks like Jaguar's new 'brand identity' thing is 90% about sport and only 10% interior luxury.
That's why I'm keeping my X350 indefinitely.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
bottom line- when old-timer Jagsters like myself think about a Jag, we think LUXURY WOOD and LEATHER, not SPORT.
Looks like Jaguar's new 'brand identity' thing is 90% about sport and only 10% interior luxury.
That's why I'm keeping my X350 indefinitely.
Agreed 100%...except for the F Type. That can stay the way it is.

Quick Reply: 2016 Jag XF Cheapened!