XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Front License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Front License Plate Mount

It looks like you have to drill into the car to install the front license plate. I hate doing that. Has anyone found an alternative front plate bracket?

Old 08-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer installed a plastic frame with a contoured mount behind it. It is inoffensive, at least as a required front license plate can be.

From past research, I've seen various brackets that attach to a threaded tow hook mount. In the case of the XF, the angle and location would be far uglier than the stock mount IMHO.

I also recall seeing assemblies that attach beneath the front "bumper", and while searching for an example I ran across License Plate Central at License Plate Accessories Looks like most available solutions are shown on that site. I also ran across retractable plate mounts with wireless remotes, apparently for show cars. Surprising how many traps there are for this particular mouse.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheluxe
My dealer installed a plastic frame with a contoured mount behind it. It is inoffensive, at least as a required front license plate can be.

From past research, I've seen various brackets that attach to a threaded tow hook mount. In the case of the XF, the angle and location would be far uglier than the stock mount IMHO.

I also recall seeing assemblies that attach beneath the front "bumper", and while searching for an example I ran across License Plate Central at License Plate Accessories Looks like most available solutions are shown on that site. I also ran across retractable plate mounts with wireless remotes, apparently for show cars. Surprising how many traps there are for this particular mouse.
I checked on the license plate brackets that fit under the valance and hold the plate away from the front of the vehicle. But, I also found they reduce the clearance between the valance and the ground so bumper blocks in parking lots end up becoming a big enemy (worse than usual) and the valance will ride up and over the block and may become stuck. Ouch!

I bit the bullet and had the dealer install the plate. The find for not having one far exceeds the cosmetic value of not, at least IMHO.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:41 PM
Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

Bringing back this Thread, I just got my plates today, I went with a SlyBracket, fits perfect, my only concern is that pretty much completely covers up the vent on this side, are the front lower corner vents to get air to the rotors and does it look like enough air can still get through ? The kit comes with extra spacers so I could mount it in to the lower middle vent, I just really like the look of it on the side.
Sly Brackets / BozzMount

Last edited by JagWire_5280; 08-05-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnumforc
...The find for not having one far exceeds the cosmetic value of not, at least IMHO.....
Say what? It's usually just a fix it ticket (no fine) in California if they even bother writing you up for it. I've been told by several police officers that the "no front plate" is overlooked because it gives them an ideal situation to pull someone over if they're just suspicious. For a while they were ticketing people for no front plate in my neck of the woods because red light cameras were being installed in a lot of locations. Then something happened ..... I think they were successfully challenged in court .... and the cameras came down.