New hope for the old Japanese Sat Nav

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Question New hope for the old Japanese Sat Nav

Hi Team
Wondering if anyone has tried these guys. They are based in Auckland and it appears they need your car so I assume there is more to the conversion than inserting a new DVD ?
The company is Auto Gravity 379 Dominion Road Mt Eden Ph 09 6390 168
I'm based in Wellington so it would be great to get some insight before committing to what looks like the solution to our Nav issues.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 PM

Oh dear, just had a reply from the Trade Me seller, "sorry not for 2004 model"...
back to the drawing board :-(

Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XK8cat lover
Hi Team
Wondering if anyone has tried these guys. They are based in Auckland and it appears they need your car so I assume there is more to the conversion than inserting a new DVD ?
The company is Auto Gravity 379 Dominion Road Mt Eden Ph 09 6390 168
I'm based in Wellington so it would be great to get some insight before committing to what looks like the solution to our Nav issues.
Hi I've been looking for the same thing for my 2012 XF
its got a Denso HDD sat Nav and these guys advertising is a tad over the top as is their price of $1499 to upgrade to NZ maps.

I've found another outfit
http://navnz.com/
these guys will do the same for $899

i got a maps DVD from Nav shop.com.au for $200 AUD + post which is supposed to auto install but I can't get past the message "software on disc is older than current version"

Personally I have an issue with both the $1499 & the $899 upgrades because all I need is to override the install message to force load the maps.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Gosh fellas, it would help enormously (and save time) if you put your car model model, year and all relevant info in your sig (edit via User CP) so that we can offer accurate advice, coz here is a perfect example. Each of you think you are discussing the same issue - making use of and/or updating your SatNav maps - but on cars that Jaguar installed 2 totally different technologies.

The X100 uses an Alpine based system for which Jaguar contracted mapping disks for selected markets. At the last moment, Jaguar decided no SatNav equipped X100s would go to AUS or NZ so Alpine, who had already configured such disks was left with no buyers for them. Try a carefully designed topic search and you will find plenty to ponder . . . including contacting Alpine UK for a pre-2000 NZ maps disk (WOW!!!) or the option of replacing entire screen with a modern, touch screen unit with rear camera option and lifetime map updates, all for much cheaper than costs you are quoting.

OTOH, the XF uses the Denso system . . . for 2008-2011, it uses DVD disk technology as for preceding S-Types and update disks are readily available . . . while from 2012-2015, it is based on HDD for which update disks are also available (but different).

Now, enter the elephant in the room . . . this whole update mapping arena appears to have attracted some scammers here in Oz offering bootleg disks (not sayin who, coz I don't know for sure - just get suspicious when calls are not returned or specific questions in emails are ignored). If in doubt, ask for their warranty details which are required under both AUS & NZ Consumer Law. If communications instantly cease . . . well, at least you have only wasted time, not money.

With that caveat, try this link [map updates].

If it loads correctly, you will find I have pre-selected XF, 2012, but others will need to redefine search. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ken

The following 3 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Daf11e (03-07-2018), GGG (03-05-2018), o1xjr (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
..... it would help enormously (and save time) if you put your car model model, year and all relevant info in your sig ....
+1

There's a very good reason why we ask all members to add Vehicle details. This thread is a classic example.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
cat_as_trophy (03-05-2018), Daf11e (03-07-2018), o1xjr (03-05-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Default make model year 2012 XF 2.2D HDD Sat Nav U/G

Hi Folks, cat_as_trophy [Ken]
Apologies for lack of detail. First up, mine's a 2012 XF 2.2 Diesel.
The Sat Nav is a Denso system HDD version. [it doesn't have the Disc unit in the boot]
Prior to my original post, I already got the upgrade disc from https://jaguar.navshop.com.au/shopdi...+(2012+onwards)
but the problem is as mentioned - software on system is newer than software on the disc, rendering it useless.
The Navshop customer service is substandard to say the very least, with lots of to-and-fro-ing emails, the end result being they cannot help.
They couldn't advise when a later version of software would be available - they didn't care actually.
They got their money, they're happy. Sending the disc back was too hard so I'll sell it to someone who might be able to use it.
Short story is Car is from Singapore and had the local Satnav software upgraded before it was shipped to NZ.
Any attempt to upgrade the maps to NZ needed the latest software for it to even begin to load - which it couldn't.
The only way to get NZ maps was to retro-install older software - this was done by a local co, NavNZ, who basically took it out and installed over the top of the existing software on the HDD. In doing that all the data on the HDD was erased and overwritten.
It was a poor compromise as the map data is a few years old and missing the latest motorway and street changes since then, but better than nothing.
No one from Jaguar, or it's Sat Nav agents could advise when new software would be available for this part of the world.
the best I could get was "sometime in 2018".
Considering this saga began mid 2017, here's hoping it's sooner in 2018, than later.
Anyway all that aside, this forum is a wealth of knowledge, nice to get amongst it.
Cheers
Graeme

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Great explanation in reply Graeme . . . and I share your search for sympathy in respect to Sat Nav updates, as I have both the Alpine DVD based system in my privately imported MY04 XK8 and the Denso DVD system in the MY07 S-Type . . . hence my specific knowledge of each.

May I suggest you do the following -
  • send a PM to all your local fellow Kiwis (and Aussies too) who have later HDD based XFs; then as a group . . .
  • contact Whereis (Aus) and Jaguar in both Aus & NZ, placing some pressure on them, perhaps aided by your local Jaguar dealers;
  • if you need help with this networking, I will be happy to assist, and I suspect both Graham [GGG] and Clarke [o1xjr] would also.
Best wishes,

Ken

Old 03-21-2018, 05:00 AM
Default supportive Jaguar dealer... yer right

A great suggestion to get everyone behind getting an updated DVD for the SatNav but getting support from the dealer here in Wellington NZ is nothing short of a joke.
I went in to enquire about supercharger oil and as soon as I said 2004 the staff ignored me completely. Eventually a workshop guy came out, I asked him, he disappeared for 1/4 of an hour then came back and dismissed me with, "that part is obsolete" and promptly disappeared again.
I have not and will never return.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:04 PM

@XK8cat lover,
It's a shame there's a bit of unnecessary snobbery at the Jaguar Dealerships here. You're not alone in Wellington, It's the same up north.
When I had my two XJS' & wanted to replace my rear subframe mounts a certain dealership looked down their noses at me like their noses were 40 feet long it was that obvious.. I ended up getting a better deal [and service] from Jaguarparts.com.. enough said.

Back to the Story of the XF HDD Denso Sat Nav...
It's not rocket science so I wish the experts would just share how to do a retro install instead of trying to fleece us of our hard earned dollars, saying it's involved and tricky.
The guy who did mine using older maps took approx 30 mins to do this with a laptop and a few tools.
Ironically he wanted my new disc but wouldn't buy it or give me further discount to do it.

I've got a bit of I.T. savvy so they could just tell me how to get the unit out and overwrite the HDD with the maps on the disc I did get, that I couldn't load.
I'm guessing It'll probably be just an "*.ini" file I need to leave on the HDD and copy everything else, but I'm not game to try just yet.

And I'm struggling to justify spending $1400 [or even $800] to do this when Waze is far superior and free on my iPhone..

Come on Jaguar, if you want us to remain loyal, get with the programme and help us out..

The car is GREAT!, the hardware, and support, lacking.
Thank goodness for the Forums.

Cheers.
Graeme

Old 03-22-2018, 06:37 AM

Yep I will not pay big money for an out of date navigation system. My Garmin went in the bin when they wanted more for new maps than the price of a new unit. Google maps does all the navigating I need with live data.
Saying that, I would dearly love to use the existing screen for at least a clock and preferably a reversing camera