radio frequencies

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio frequencies

hi all i have a 2006 x type imported from japan, does anyone in south island know anyone that can reprogram the comp so radio will receive nz frequencies

Old 05-30-2017, 05:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit late perhaps ... Mine is a 2008 x-type with touch screen. If I press CD Eject + AM/FM there were four region options but it wouldn't change from JP. FM only went to about 88.0FM
I tried Archibalds in Christchurch, andthey said I needed a new radio from the UK and that the Japanese ones were incompatible and couldn't be changed. Clinch Automotive - also in Chch had it changed over in less than half an hour while I waited. $100 It's now set to EU and I can get full range FM (and LW which is no use here). RDS works so all the stations are listed by name. For some reason National radio is not in stereo, but most other FM stations are.

Archibalds also said they couldn't provide map disks. I had previously used a Whereis map disk on my previous 2002 with great success, but Whereis is now TomTom and they won't sell maps to NZ (NZ IP addresses are blocked and they won't take phone orders), and their support people are singularly unhelpful. You can probably get a mate in Aus to buy them, or buy from NAVNZ.com on special for $200. Mine is on its way.

The following users liked this post:
GreyGhost (01-18-2019)
Old 05-31-2017, 01:18 AM

hi, thanks for the info, i was told by armstrongs in dunedin that the radio could not be retuned and would need a new one, i have also heard that if you put a new radio in the computer still thinks it is japanese and sets it up for japan frequencies.
I have had no luck yet getting radio tuned but now i may give the company you mentioned a call and see if i can wangle a trip to christchurch.
On a different note how are you finding the car, i have had mine just over 2 years now and apart from changing oil and a couple of tyres it has been all good going.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the dealers give out such misinformation. they are either thick or being tricky on purpose to make you want to buy a new car. I suspect the latter. Clinch is highly recommended by everyone I talk to. Unlike the other crowd who I went off in a big way for massive overcharging for routine servicing.

Loving the car - it's an estate and so much more practical for me than my prior 2002 saloon. The saloon was a 2.5 and had noticeably more grunt, handled better, and the Estate is noisier from the rear suspension. But there's not all that much in it, and I arrive at work feeling relaxed, and not just a bit of a cad for driving a Jaaaaag. Having a nav setup without the right radio ranges and Nav was really irking me, but $300 and a bit of hunting around and sanity is restored...

Another detailed description as it's really hard to find reliable info on this stuff.

The disk arrived from NAVNZ.com (based in Auckland) via courier. It's a blank recordable DVD, so I do worry about it's provenance. $200 is an awful lot for pirated software, though if so, then Jag and Tomtom bring it upon themselves by not making these available to people willing to pay. There are directories on the disk for Toyota and Lexus so I guess that's where it came from originally.

I put it in and immediately got maps, but no street names, no address search etc.
Pressed Phone + Menu then code 1971
S/W Update and OK

Had a heard stopping 10-15 minutes while 51 52 flashed on my climate display but it all came right.

The standard user preferences screen now has a British Language Flag instead of Japanese and USA, and a new option for Miles or KM. Once I went back in to Nav everything worked with street names, search and a honeyed English female voice telling me where to go. I'm in love with my car.

There are no POI on this disk, but other than that I have no complaints. Version says R22_V11

Old 12-03-2019, 02:02 AM
Default Jaguar X Type radio frequency

Hello there - Brand new here. From New Zealand and loving a 2006 X Type I bought about a month ago. But! Have a frustrating problem in that it is imported from Japan and has Japan frequencies on the radio. Going through forums it was easy enough to get to the regions by pressing AM/FM + Eject - So then I have (I think) Europe Japan USA Australia but for the life of me whatever I press next doesn't take me away from Japan. Any help would be so appreciated. Cheers John

Old 11-29-2021, 11:06 PM
Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ProphetOfDoom
A bit late perhaps ... Mine is a 2008 x-type with touch screen. If I press CD Eject + AM/FM there were four region options but it wouldn't change from JP. FM only went to about 88.0FM
I tried Archibalds in Christchurch, andthey said I needed a new radio from the UK and that the Japanese ones were incompatible and couldn't be changed. Clinch Automotive - also in Chch had it changed over in less than half an hour while I waited. $100 It's now set to EU and I can get full range FM (and LW which is no use here). RDS works so all the stations are listed by name. For some reason National radio is not in stereo, but most other FM stations are.

Archibalds also said they couldn't provide map disks. I had previously used a Whereis map disk on my previous 2002 with great success, but Whereis is now TomTom and they won't sell maps to NZ (NZ IP addresses are blocked and they won't take phone orders), and their support people are singularly unhelpful. You can probably get a mate in Aus to buy them, or buy from NAVNZ.com on special for $200. Mine is on its way.
Ditto for me too. Was down in Christchurch just for the day and had not made any appointments, but Clinch Automotive squeezed me in and $100 later and we're all done. Excellent service, really helpful and friendly. I asked about a nav dvd and the guy said he'd just sold the last one the previous week. They made a note to give me a call when some more come in. I don't really need sat nav, but it's nice to have everything working.
National radio doesn't broadcast in stereo even though it's fm. Here's their reasoning...
"Radio NZ National is broadcast on FM in mono as it's more cost effective than stereo. As our highest-rating programmes (news and talk programmes) are in mono and are listened to by many people on mono radios, we believe it is better to broadcast to more listeners in mono than fewer in stereo. There are some advantages of being in mono: reception is better because the radio is not trying to decipher the complex stereo info; and as mono requires about a sixth of the power of stereo, there is less overloading and distortion from high power signals reflecting off buildings."

Old 12-02-2022, 12:52 PM
Default XF Radio

Hi,

Have recently purchased a Japanese import XF (2008) and am also wondering about a radio 'fix'. Would be nice to have a selection of NZ stations. I suspect if Clinch Automotive in ChCh has been sorting this then perhaps it involves a Jaguar diagnostic tool.........can anyone confirm this or how it was done?
I have also purchased a DVD of NZ maps from the NavShop in Aussie ( I know, I know they will be out of date and my phone is better.........but I want to see if I can anyway). Anyone had experience forcing the Denso unit to update for NZ?