Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

A6 - the downward spiral begins!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default A6 - the downward spiral begins!

Well, the wife has officially had the A6 for 5 minutes and thats the o/s/f alloy kerbed ( badly!! )
Well, this was actually around 10 days or so ago.....

Seriously, we've only lived here for like 14 years and the kerbs always been there, hasn't moved or aanything....jeeeeesh!

Not happy to say the least

She tells me it was an accident, no I say, an accident is something uncontrollable, it was just careless!

Anyway, its done and I've vented but honestly, no need for it

Today...
Oh well, 2 down 2 to go
Thats the N/S/F got it now........2 wheels in less than 2 weeks, unbelievable

It seems to be that If I can keep it in great condition, looking good etc for 7 years, she wants to prove to me that she can ruin it in a fraction of that time.....I have to laugh or I'll cry...lol

My moneys on either the front or rear bumper within the next month or so!!

Are all wives out the same mold when it comes to cars.......please tell me it is the case so I can feel at least a little better.

Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Yes... Don't know how many times I've cleaned the beige house paint off of the drivers mirror.

Given up on the wheels.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'll just say that my (ex)wife was very....um....nonchalant.....about such things

Cheers
DD

Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I'll just say that my (ex)wife was very....um....nonchalant.....about such things

Cheers
DD

Lol Doug, thats the problem.....

The reaction is kinda, oh well , its done now............

Meanwhile, I'm like

Seriously, it just drains me, like its nothing!

7 years and barely a scratch / dent or ding through careful ownership, 2 weeks and 2 rims gone through careless ownership....WOW

The papers may be filed in the morning, I just don't know if I can relate anymore....lol

Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Funny thing--similar happenings with the 2012 Acura TL we bought at the end of 2011. This was for my wife to replace her 2000 TL and I tried to emphasize about parking away from people and watching out for curbs (she noticed how the bumpers in the front extend down a lot further in recent years). Well it lasted about 6 months until my wife did some curb rash on the bumper. There is a guy around here who does amazing mobile bumper touch-ups that look as good as new. I had arranged for him to come out and, luckily, it took a while to arrange for a convenient time. By lucky I mean the wife did further damage to the bumper by scraping a column while parking. Anyway the guy comes out now to repair the rash and the scrape (for about $300) and the car looks good as new.

Well that lasted maybe another 6 or so months. In spite of my repeated admonitions to "stay away from the curb" she did it again. Also managed to somehow get a door ding but I also knows a guy who takes care of that. So now I have the rash and ding to attend to when I get a few extra bucks.

Doug

JimC64 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

I outta make y'all guys feel really bad by telling you that I have Never run into a curb, backed into a pole/post or smacked up my car in any way.

However, the OPIMH (other person in my house) has bashed my car on more than one occasion; different cars, but always mine. The worst was the time he allowed insufficient time/space to stop at an intersection in slippery conditions, sailed through and totaled a Pontiac. Didn't do my car any good either.

And then there was the time he tried to park in an underground garage, cut a turn too close and dragged the right rear quarter against a concrete support pillar. I have NO idea how he managed that but he swore that's how it happened.

And the time he wasn't paying attention in the left turn lane and bashed the front fender of my convertible because he wasn't driving defensively, and someone turned into him. It was a little car, for crying out loud, and people tended to look right over it (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...orgotten-9563/ if anyone is curious)! I was Highly annoyed that time.

He doesn't get to drive my Jaguar, even though he bought it for me. I don't even let him open the door while it's in the garage. I make him wait till I've backed out where there is no danger of bashing the door and THEN he can get in. I make him get out before I pull back in too.

And then he says, "You're a hard woman, Elinor B!"
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 04-29-2014 at 01:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
JimC64 (04-29-2014), o1xjr (05-23-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member

Lol.....thanks for sharing LnrB.....Looks like there's a few of us who have married or partnered with non car loving spouses?

We ALL have accidents from time to time....I am not perfect by any means

The difference is I try my level best not to, I try to be careful

The conversation went as follows....

When I asked her about the 1st alloy that happened outside our house ( she reverses out towards a parked car ** she has reversing sensors!! ) then full lock and onto the road, no issues.....I've done it a million times )...her reply was.

I thought I was going to hit the car so I stopped.
I asked her about clearing the kerb.....she replies, I thought I could make it
I said....well, what do you think now??

If in ANY doubt, stop, reverse back a little and then go again when you're sure, says I

Jeeez, accidents happen and its only a car...

Yes, you're right......you were running around in a 13 year old battered and bruised Renault Clio when we met, that barely made it from mot to mot, let alone from A to B
Maybe we should sell the Audi whilst we can still get some money for it and get you back into that Clio?

Attached Images   
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Sorry to tell you this Jim but not all wives damage cars. My wife keep her 6 year old Honda in pristine condition. Never scrubbed a wheel or dented a fender. She runs her car through the "touchless" car wash every Friday, vacuums it weekly and keeps leather cleaner in the boot. I've even been known to fall asleep in the passenger seat on long trips in the Jag. I think I will keep her.
Having said that my brother's wife is another story. She had trouble getting her Acura in reverse one morning so she pressed the gas peddle to the floor and wiggled the gear selector. She found a gear but unfortunately it was drive. She managed to hit the garage door at about 50mph turning it into a ramp resting on top of my brother's new car (BMW 5 series) Her Acura was launched up and through the second story of the house and out the back into the swimming pool. Amazingly no one was hurt but the pet cat has never been the same.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fulton:
JimC64 (04-29-2014), LnrB (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fulton
Sorry to tell you this Jim but not all wives damage cars. My wife keep her 6 year old Honda in pristine condition. Never scrubbed a wheel or dented a fender. She runs her car through the "touchless" car wash every Friday, vacuums it weekly and keeps leather cleaner in the boot. I've even been known to fall asleep in the passenger seat on long trips in the Jag. I think I will keep her.
Having said that my brother's wife is another story. She had trouble getting her Acura in reverse one morning so she pressed the gas peddle to the floor and wiggled the gear selector. She found a gear but unfortunately it was drive. She managed to hit the garage door at about 50mph turning it into a ramp resting on top of my brother's new car (BMW 5 series) Her Acura was launched up and through the second story of the house and out the back into the swimming pool. Amazingly no one was hurt but the pet cat has never been the same.
The first part of that story had me very disappointed to know that not all wives are the same. I feel so alone, miserable, let down, angry and confused all at once now...lol

The second part though had me thinking perhaps my wife isn't so bad after all

Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton
[...]
...my brother's wife is another story. She had trouble getting her Acura in reverse one morning so she pressed the gas peddle to the floor and wiggled the gear selector. She found a gear but unfortunately it was drive. She managed to hit the garage door at about 50mph turning it into a ramp resting on top of my brother's new car (BMW 5 series) Her Acura was launched up and through the second story of the house and out the back into the swimming pool. Amazingly no one was hurt but the pet cat has never been the same.
Oh, the mental images this evokes...
(';')

Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

She may not drive as perfectly as you perform Dear Admin , what happened was just a niggling thing but it's something that occupies your mind deeply .At least she didn't rear end your car to any vehicle speaking of careless driving
Sorry to hear that and hopefully she never damages your Audi anymore

JimC64 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

My wife is also a little hard on the vehicles.

She ripped the shock mounts off of her Jeep Wrangler even after I welded them back on.

When I installed a Brush guard on her Explorer, she commented. "great now I can run into things"

Her Land Rover is full of Scrapes and scratches. I call it patina.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When it comes to curbing wheels definitely! You are not alone...

Old 12-05-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Well spent some time with the Audi today, good to re connect if a little harrowing at some points too.......lol

As I've said before, my wife basically just drives her and doesn't love her like I did, just basic transportation, so she's suffered this past year and half to 2 years

The car was filthy inside n out, probably badly needed a service and general lack of maintenance ( In truth I've kinda switched off as its been heartbreaking to watch )

Anyhow, took her to NT and got an engine oil and filter change done, which was badly needed and won a watch!!
Whilst on the ramp after lifting the bonnet and removing the engine cover, the tech noticed that the coolant hose had burst at the expansion tank and coolant was shooting out through a small pin size hole. This was very lucky as if my wife had taken the car to work, in all probability it would've happened just as she arrived at work, drained while she was in work probably causing major damage as she drove home, obviously ignoring ay warning lights.....lol
Anyway, Audi only 2 miles or so away did not have a replacement in stock ( cost around £11 ) and would be a day or so to get, so we managed to removed the offending damaged part of the hose ( it was near the end ) and made the original fit, all A OK and tested fine......topped up the coolant and stroked my lucky rabbits foot and my lucky white heather...lol

Drove her home, topped off screenwash, then cleaned inside n out
Started by cleaning the engine bay, all door shuts and boot shut areas as well as soaking all alloys in Sonax FULL effect wheal cleaner

Cleaned all the alloys thoroughly inside n out as well as the hubs n calipers, then washed the rest of the car.....bear in mind no car washes open today due to high winds and major storm / flooding / heavy rain etc
This meant that all my neighbours once again got to look at the local madman out cleaning his car in torrential rain....lol

Emptied the car of all the crap that was there ( you would not believe!! ) and then washed down the upholstery, car mate out and vacuumed, replaced the cleaned car mats and sprayed some nice air freshener after cleaning the inside of the windows.
A little work with Sonnax FULL effect brought back the badly neglected tail pipes I had worked so hard to keep like new over the years

At around 132k she still drives like a dream, still very tight, holds the road well with no squeaks or rattles, stops in an instant too..............the manual gearbox a dream to use although I've been driving Auto for 2 years now.
Seeing the damage to the once pristine alloys and the front bumper scrape / damage was tough to take, but once cleaned up and serviced and after enjoying the drive, I can honestly say it was great to reconnect with her after all this time, here's hoping the wife will keep her where she is for a while, although I fear not

Here she is in all her glory as she used to look.....

Name:  P1010002-5.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  103.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  52.7 KB
Name:  102.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  44.3 KB
Name:  101.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  62.8 KB

Jim

Old 12-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

My wife does NOT get into the left seat of my Jags. She can drive the F-250, her Honda CRV or the Crown Vic anytime she wants. Just.Not.The.Jags!! When she is a passenger, she understands how to lift her feet so as not to scrape the sill plate and that she should finish her coffee prior to the trip.

JimC64 (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drbill
My wife does NOT get into the left seat of my Jags. She can drive the F-250, her Honda CRV or the Crown Vic anytime she wants. Just.Not.The.Jags!! When she is a passenger, she understands how to lift her feet so as not to scrape the sill plate and that she should finish her coffee prior to the trip.
Lol, my wife doesn't get into the right seat of my Jag, and never used to in the A6 when it was mine too.
The Audi was passed to her in immaculate condition in the vain hope that it would continue as is......not to be.

On a side note - Had a very nice ex Audi Tech at my house tonight who owned Vagcom to reset the service indicator for me as she's recently been serviced.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

I feel your pain. Now my wife is not the problem here. I am over **** when it comes to my cars especially when it comes to door dings and curb rash. So in 39 years of parking out in the pickers at work and when I go shoping I have accumulated two door dings in my cars over the years, both jags, both done by ME. I cannot tell you the flow of emotion when you look at your jag seeing the door ding YOU just put in it. Both times my wife was present and only said the following, "BOY am I glad I didn't just do THAT". My wife prefers not to have anything to do with our Jags. After 16 of the strange and weird she has had her fill. Me... I can't wait for the next one.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

[QUOTE=1 of 19;1372873 After 16 of the strange and weird she has had her fill. Me... I can't wait for the next one.[/QUOTE]

Is that the next jag or the next wife....

Old 12-30-2015, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Is that the next jag or the next wife....
Yamon; Actually the wolf has put up with me and my cars for around 40 years now, 34 of that married, so... she's a keeper.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

_1 of 19 Quote_________________
"The secret to a long relationship is simple, You can be right or you can be happy... you can't be both."

So very true!

One of my ex wives, a true born Irish lady, was driving in England with me in the passenger seat when I could see a large ramp across the road ahead. I assumed she could see it. By the time I yelled to slow down it was too late. I can still remember seeing the mass of sparks in my side view mirror.
She also managed to total her company BMW by avoiding the car immediately in front of her by going up an embankment at speed however when she came back down the embankment she hit the car in front of the one she avoided.
On starting out on a trip to Ireland, in another company car, she accelerated out from the parking spot next to a concrete column but forgot to turn the steering wheel from a hard left lock. Smashed the front fender. We continued driving to Ireland once I had pulled the fender out of the wheels way. We had the damage fixed in Ireland at our expense because the company she worked for had already had to pay higher insurance premiums because of her record and several other female executive drivers. They also
banned everyone from purchasing "high end cars". She loved fast cars. She is also one of the nicest people you could know.

Back in those days, 20 years ago, we spent time in Southern Ireland and I can remember seeing every other car with accident damage and at every bend you could see where some one failed to actually keep on the road.

Her sister would drive us at speed on the wrong side of the road over blind rises and bends and seemed to think that was how one should drive.

My current, and last wife, does not care about cars at all. Her Toyota Corolla is filled with trash, which I clean out every so often. The stains from spilled drinks are all over the place.

When I let her borrow my truck to get an Xmas tree it comes back with mud all over the outside, and inside as well!

I do not let her borrow the Jag. It is also not fun to drive the Jag with her as the passenger.

Quick Reply: A6 - the downward spiral begins!