Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Most Embarrassing Car to drive

Old 03-05-2016, 11:22 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton
Thank you Elinor for your sympathy.
Now that my secret is out in the open I feel much better. I was afraid the HHR would show up in the background of a picture of the Jaguar and would be humiliated that people would think I purchased it.
You mean like this ; )

Attached Thumbnails Most Embarrassing Car to drive-garage-trio.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by 64vette:
Cadillac (03-12-2016), Fulton (03-17-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by jallitt
My girlfriend has a Cube - I borrow it occasionally since it has way more space in the rear than my F-Type
Thats quite a contrast :-) you should post a pic of them together

Old 03-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by 64vette
You mean like this ; )
So you are the other guy that still has one running!

Hiding behind a Rolls is a really good spot for it.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enterprise car rental brought out a nisson Cube, and I burst out laughing! I said I am not driving that! They said " it's all we got". So I drove it home and put my old pickup back togather to use it instead. Don't mean to be a snoot about what I drive, but I had to draw a line :-)

Old 03-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts
Default snow test

Q: Did it snow a lot last night?
A: No you can still tell what kind of car it is.

Attached Thumbnails Most Embarrassing Car to drive-snow-test.jpg  
Old 03-19-2016, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

HHR

Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton
Q: Did it snow a lot last night?
A: No you can still tell what kind of car it is.
Love it or hate it, its impressive that even under a pile of snow, its unmistakeable what kind of car it is. Cover any modern 4-door sedan with as much as a 1/2 inch of snow and ask people to guess what it is. According to GM television commercials, nobody can tell a Chevy from a Lexus or a modern Buick from a ten year old Ford Taurus even without snow - and for some reason they're proud of it. Now I know why cars had fins back in the 50s. When it snowed, you could identify your own car in a parking lot by the color and style of the fin sticking up out of the snow.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1987 Chevy Celebrity Wagon..What a complete piece of crap. Had an 2.5L 4 cyl engine known as the "Iron Duke". Stopped driving it when the plastic fiber timing gear broke. Should have been called the "Kleenex Duke".

Attached Thumbnails Most Embarrassing Car to drive-celebrity.jpg  
Old 03-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

Ooh..
Check out that genuine plastic wood grain !

Old 03-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Warhead
1987 Chevy Celebrity Wagon..What a complete piece of crap. Had an 2.5L 4 cyl engine known as the "Iron Duke". Stopped driving it when the plastic fiber timing gear broke. Should have been called the "Kleenex Duke".
Well that gets my vote as "the most embarrassing car I never knew existed"

P.S. a different perspective is that my mother was embarrassed to ride in a friend's Rolls Royce back in the 1950's because of the attention it got, and similarly a friend of mine sold his Ferrari because he was embarrassed by all the attention it attracted despite it being a fun car to drive.

Last edited by 64vette; 03-22-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:36 PM

I love any attention I get from a car, positive of course.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

My step mothers Fiat 500.
Not the latest model but an early 80's car. It had a tiny air cooled engine in the boot that sounded like a bag of spanners being shaken. It was a nasty turquoise blue colour with orange fabric interior. Yes that nasty!
My step mother asked me to pick it up from a Fiat garage where I lived and drive it back to her house about 30 miles away.
I got to the garage really not knowing what the hell to expect after step mum had repeated the starting procedure several times on the phone. I was already not impressed.
The garage gave me the keys as the work was paid for and he showed me where the car was.
The flimsy little door key looked like it would snap if you shouted at it.
Getting in the car required a certain amount of logistics because these cars are TINY. So I wedged my body, head, knees and elbows in the cramped drivers space. Next...... the starting procedure.
Another one sided flimsy key in the basic ignition barrel
which looked like it was from a 1970s moped.
Ok ignition is on !! Yes there are coloured Iights shining in the plastic binnacle thingy where the speedo is remarkably short of numbers.
Now to fire up the beast !
Damn, where did she say the starting lever was????
Much blindly fumbling around, had me slightly panicking. Feeling claustrophobic yet? Yeah me too.
By pure luck my left hand fingers found the 2" long starter lever very low down in the black plastic center console. It was hiding behind the handbrake lever. Mickey Mouse cars dontcha hate em?
Ok so here goes with firing it up !!!
As I said ignition is go! So pull up the starting lever and pray.
At first I wondered if the starter motor was on a break, But it did eventually make an effort. The effort started feebly with a slow "wurr.... wurr. ... wurr......" and the wurring started to get faster slowly. Too slow, I could have made toast in the time the starter took to spin up. Eventually it reached this crescendo of frantic rattling and spluttering as the tiny motor coughed onto life. My my that was hard work.
I looked around to see if it was dark it took so long to fire up.
Cutting to the driving part. The gear change was decidedly lucky. Lucky if you could find a gear. Any gear really?
The car moved steadily away from standstill on its two position accelerator. Either off or full on. Anything inbetween was entirely pointless.
0 to 60 isn't an option.
The car was flat out downhill on a very long hill with the wind behind me at 54mph.
As I drove through the town, I was wondering whether I should have bought a paper bag with me? I would have worn it over my head out of fear of anyone I know seeing me in this toaster sized motor vehicle.
I felt like chucking the car in a ditch several times with the proximity of 18 wheeler HGV,s on the country roads this abomination was on. You could lose that car in a decent tyre tread!

I've never felt so glad to give the keys back to someone else, you know what I mean?

Old 03-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa
My step mothers Fiat 500.
Not the latest model but an early 80's car. It had a tiny air cooled engine in the boot that sounded like a bag of spanners being shaken. It was a nasty turquoise blue colour with orange fabric interior. Yes that nasty!
My step mother asked me to pick it up from a Fiat garage where I lived and drive it back to her house about 30 miles away.
I got to the garage really not knowing what the hell to expect after step mum had repeated the starting procedure several times on the phone. I was already not impressed.
The garage gave me the keys as the work was paid for and he showed me where the car was.
The flimsy little door key looked like it would snap if you shouted at it.
Getting in the car required a certain amount of logistics because these cars are TINY. So I wedged my body, head, knees and elbows in the cramped drivers space. Next...... the starting procedure.
Another one sided flimsy key in the basic ignition barrel
which looked like it was from a 1970s moped.
Ok ignition is on !! Yes there are coloured Iights shining in the plastic binnacle thingy where the speedo is remarkably short of numbers.
Now to fire up the beast !
Damn, where did she say the starting lever was????
Much blindly fumbling around, had me slightly panicking. Feeling claustrophobic yet? Yeah me too.
By pure luck my left hand fingers found the 2" long starter lever very low down in the black plastic center console. It was hiding behind the handbrake lever. Mickey Mouse cars dontcha hate em?
Ok so here goes with firing it up !!!
As I said ignition is go! So pull up the starting lever and pray.
At first I wondered if the starter motor was on a break, But it did eventually make an effort. The effort started feebly with a slow "wurr.... wurr. ... wurr......" and the wurring started to get faster slowly. Too slow, I could have made toast in the time the starter took to spin up. Eventually it reached this crescendo of frantic rattling and spluttering as the tiny motor coughed onto life. My my that was hard work.
I looked around to see if it was dark it took so long to fire up.
Cutting to the driving part. The gear change was decidedly lucky. Lucky if you could find a gear. Any gear really?
The car moved steadily away from standstill on its two position accelerator. Either off or full on. Anything inbetween was entirely pointless.
0 to 60 isn't an option.
The car was flat out downhill on a very long hill with the wind behind me at 54mph.
As I drove through the town, I was wondering whether I should have bought a paper bag with me? I would have worn it over my head out of fear of anyone I know seeing me in this toaster sized motor vehicle.
I felt like chucking the car in a ditch several times with the proximity of 18 wheeler HGV,s on the country roads this abomination was on. You could lose that car in a decent tyre tread!

I've never felt so glad to give the keys back to someone else, you know what I mean?
You painted a perfect picture with that narrative! It seemed so real that I felt embarrassed!!! I think you win!

Dwayne

Old 03-28-2016, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by dga57
You painted a perfect picture with that narrative! It seemed so real that I felt embarrassed!!! I think you win!

Dwayne
I was only 20 years old at the time and it was all in good fun.
My step mum laughed her socks off seeing me hunched up inside her car when I pulled up on their driveway. She was cool as a step mum and I am really not that vain about what I drive or ride.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:33 PM

I feel embarassed when I drive any car that I don't know how to drive as it should be driven! In other words if I can't drive as a racing/rally driver, which unfortunately I am not