US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Interest in Pittsburgh Vintage GP in July?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Interest in Pittsburgh Vintage GP in July?

Howdy all- I thought I would give this forum a heads up about the 2013 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, see if anybody is already planning on going, or if anybody wants to go, perhaps have a forum meet up at the GP?

The PVGP has activities that cover several weeks from early July to late July. Here is the schedule of events: 2013 Event Calendar | Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Interesting tidbits: Saturday July 13 at Pittsburgh International Race Complex aka PITT-Race (Formerly BeaveRun Racetrack - glad they changed the name) features not only the tune up for all the vintage racers, but also flashlight drags for anybody who wants to put the hammer down! So this could be a fun event where you could actually get engaged with your Jag a little more than just a show and shine.

British Car Day is Saturday July 20 at Schenley Park in the city - you'll see lots of cool cars and you can show yours off. There's also International Cars and the racers will be practicing, so it's a fun time.

Race Day is Sunday, and again you can show off your car in the show or just hang out and watch the races.

All of the proceeds of the events benefit charities by the way.

So - if anybody is interested in maybe meeting up for the PITT-Race weekend July 13 at the track and doing the drags or just watching, or if you're interested in perhaps having a forum meet up as part of the Race Weekend (July 20-21), post up!

If we can get some interest then I'll try to get us organized a bit, and for those of you who don't live in Pittsburgh, I'll give you as much info as possible for places to stay or cool things to do while you're here.

I'm not in any way affiliated with the PVGP, I've just gone many times and it's a blast, so thought i would share this info.

-Chris

The following 2 users liked this post by The Chris X:
JimC64 (07-01-2013), Marco W. Kurek (07-07-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I might be interested. Will know for sure as we get closer

Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks Chris.....a great post, excellent write up.

Hope you get some interest.....

Anything we can do to help, please let us know.....

The following users liked this post:
The Chris X (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlueXKR-S
I might be interested. Will know for sure as we get closer
Dude, you are rockin' an XKR-S in the Burgh! You gotta bring that beast!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I plan to stop by. I am not sure if I can be there all day. Are you going to the track day event? Is there one?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

I am going to probably catch the latter half of the track day stuff (on Saturday the 13th). I'm not real sure when they start the testing/tuning/lapping portion of the day, but they indicate they are usually done around 5 - 5:30, so the Flashlight Drags will start up around then as soon as they can get the front straight converted to a 1/8 mile dragstrip. I do know they will be timing runs, so that's cool.

So I'll be there in my midnight metallic STR, my name as you might have guessed is Chris. I'm pretty sure you'd have the only XKR-S in the county, so i don't think I'll have trouble spotting you! If you see me just come on over. Maybe we can make a run together. You'll whip me good with that thing, but I don't mind losing to another Jag!

I'll be volunteering on the 20th at Schenley Park, but I'm not sure where I'll be assigned yet.

Last edited by The Chris X; 07-09-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be interested, is my 1987 Jagaur xj6 to new to bring on the 20th?

Thanks, Brett

Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Nope, your 87 is not too new - there are no requirements for age of a vehicle for the International/British Car day show on the 20th. So you could have your 87 sitting next to my 2003.

Now, there is a bit of a difference between the British Car Area and the general International Car area - you could do either/or, but the rules are a little different and you pay differently to be in the BCD vs. the ICD. This year you'd pay the W. PA Triumph Assn. since that is the sponsor of BCD.

Here's the details for being part of the BCD display area: British Car Day | Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

There is also a Jaguar section sponsored by the Jaguar Club of Pgh (i let my membership lapse this year, whoops) but they are a friendly bunch and would probably not have any issue with including you and your car in that part of the show: Jaguar Concours | Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

And there is also the option of just driving up the day of the show, paying on site, and just going wherever they send you. International Car Show at Schenley Park | Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

So in summary - heck yes you can come on the 20th, and there's multiple options for where and when and who! Hope to see you there!

-Chris

Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Well the Flashlight Drags were a hoot - I think I was the only Jaguar participating out of at least 100 cars. Most fun I've ever had for $25 by far!! I did pretty good, went 8 wins, 2 losses. The losses were my own fault for smoking the tires on the line and letting my opponent get too much of a lead.

Next year you guys should seriously think about coming - getting to run the race track after each pass was an added bonus! There was such a wide diversity of vehicles racing (it was all heads up racing, no brackets or anything, just line up and go) - a GT-R, several Shelby GT500's, lots of old muscle cars, a few turbo old VW Beetles, lots of supercharged older American iron - a nice Falcon and AMC Hornet stood out. A few rat rods, including one that was a pickup truck frame with the cockpit of an Eagle Talon dropped on it, with a big block and a twin screw blower sitting out in the open air, and a small fabbed pickup bed on the bad.

There is another scheduled race in Waynesburg PA on Aug 4th. Any of you Pittsburgh guys want to go, shoot me a PM.

Hope to see some of you at Schenley Park this weekend for the vintage races and car shows!

JimC64 (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks for sharing Chris....

The Chris X (07-18-2013)