PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.

Parting Out Vehicles - XK8 & XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Parting Out Vehicles - XK8 & XKR

I would like to try an experiment with this thread. I think we have a need for a single location where members can 'part out' their jaguar and have them all listed (and kept current) in one thread, stickied to the top of the Private For Sale Classifieds area.

If this trial thread is successful, there will be a 'Parting Out' thread created for the s-types, x-types, and the XJ series of vehicles. No division of years, they all will fall under these four (4) threads.

Restrictions for Posting
Now, in order to benefit from the use of this particular 'stuck' thread, there has to be some guidelines which i think should be followed in order to qualify.

(1) the author of the post must have a post count greater than 50. The members who join just to part out their car must use a separate, 'normal' thread. This thread perk is for established members.
(2) the author must place the following information into the post, otherwise it will be deleted by a moderator (probably me)
  • Year and model characteristic (R, convertible, VDP...i know, this doesn't apply for XKs, but i'm going to use this as a template for the others)
  • State in which the vehicle is located
  • current mileage
  • reason for parting out (engine failure, transmission failure, accident, flood, earthquake, project car gone wrong, etc...something like that)
  • motor size and transmission info (GM, ZF 5hp, Mercedes, etc)
  • exterior and interior color (with the paint and trim codes from car's door jam)
  • options (navigation, adaptive cruise, premium sound system, etc)
  • a minimum of two color photographs, showing at least one exterior image and one interior
  • a list of parts that are either damaged (no good to sell) or have already been parted from the car. It is easier to do it this way from the beginning, than trying to list everything that IS available. After selling a part or parts, the list must be kept updated and current
  • a contact email...yes, you must put this down on the forum. If you must keep your privacy, I suggest setting up a free gmail or yahoo account specifically to receive inquiries about your car
(3) if the post is reported more than one time, that the member is not responding to communication attempts, a moderator will make one attempt to contact the owner, and if a response is not received in 7 days, the post will be removed

(4)

Respondents to any of the listed cars must contact the author of the post offline. No replies to this thread will be allowed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a sample of what a particular post should look like and include, at a minumum.

2003 XK8 Convertible
-----------------------
Mileage: 113,205
Reason for parting: tree fell on it
Colors: Platinum silver over dove interior (MDZ/LHJ)
Mechanicals: 4.2L, ZF 6hp26 tranny
Options: premium stereo - alpine, navigation system, 19" Apollo wheels, HIDs

Parts NOT Available
convertible top (a tree did fall on it, remember?)
hood
both front fenders
head unit
cd changer
RH headlamp

Contact Information: 2003xk8parting@gmail.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions about the listing of vehicles, content required, or how this works, please contact me.

Since this is a relatively new idea, if anyone has any suggestions on how to perfect the process or have a better idea, please let me know.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

LOL Brylyngroup... he's not parting it out. That's just a sample of how to post.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fedoraja1:
brantman (01-04-2015), Johnny_B (05-15-2016)
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by h20boy
Here is a sample of what a particular post should look like and include, at a minumum.

2003 XK8 Convertible
-----------------------
Mileage: 113,205
Reason for parting: tree fell on it
Colors: Platinum silver over dove interior (MDZ/LHJ)
Mechanicals: 4.2L, ZF 6hp26 tranny
Options: premium stereo - alpine, navigation system, 19" Apollo wheels, HIDs

Parts NOT Available
convertible top (a tree did fall on it, remember?)
hood
both front fenders
head unit
cd changer
RH headlamp
...You should find stock images of a Jag for the example. Pics of your baby and the words "tree fell on it" make your skin crawl.

The following users liked this post:
tat2dkjn (04-07-2013)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Miami XKR
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A tree fell on your car????!!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I guess this idea didn't exactly take off....

It was a good one, though.

Johnny_B (05-15-2016)
Old 12-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to buy the wheels and tires if they are 8.5 fronts and 9.5 in the rear THANKS

Old 01-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

A good idea, but like to many good ideas, struggling because the first people to 'read' it, didn't. For language to be a tool of communication, people need to read each word in a sentence and in context, not just one or two words per line and create a picture of what they would like to be reading. They also need to think about that which the writer is trying to say.

Re the method of listing, I think that it needs to be based around what one is selling. For example, 'S' Type body shell, complete except for mechanicals, minor damage left rear door only. To list the mechanicals that are not included would require an epistle of epic proportions.
Having said that, I do also like the notion expressed in the original XK8 example, where there are only a few parts not avaiable. Horses for courses, I guess.
Still think that the idea has legs. What do others think?

Cheers,

Languid

The following 3 users liked this post by Languid:
brantman (01-04-2015), paintfiend (09-04-2014), Wannabeted (06-11-2015)
Old 02-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Any chance you're parting out the tree that fell on it? I don't need rims but I do need limbs.

The following 4 users liked this post by LivewireRacing:
97vdp (08-10-2017), davidweldon (01-29-2018), Flipr78 (12-03-2017), Johnny_B (05-15-2016)
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

LOL Matt, well that evidently worked.

Closing this down for the moment, but Matt feel free to re open and delete this post if you wish.

BTW, is the left front tyre available? The swing down that side of the orchard could do with an upgrade.. and 2 years in, it must be worn out enough by now. LOL

In general IMHO not a bad idea but the premiss won't be adhered to.

brantman (01-04-2015)