PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.

Testing the waters: 1947 Jaguar MK IV 1 1/2 Litre

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Testing the waters: 1947 Jaguar MK IV 1 1/2 Litre

Howdy folks---

I recently bought this but have realized I am out of my element in terms of restoring this car. I don't have the means to make this car what it should be and would rather see it in someone's hands who can treat it properly. I purchased this car from a friend who received this in trade for a 30's Studebaker. It sat at his place for a few months before I purchased it. I can't imagine this car being on the roads in the last fifteen years. The car originally came from Silver City, NM and is a 1 1/2 Liter sedan that rides on the short wheelbase.

I'm testing the waters on this and wouldn't turn down some advice on other markets to move this to a proper new owner. I can't seem to find a forum that caters to saloons before MKIIs. That said, I am not listing a price but from what I can tell, MK IVs in far worse condition are selling at dealers around 15-20k. Please PM with offers. I have a clear title for the car that can be changed into my name in a day or so if needed. At the bottom of the post is a link to a ton of images but here's a few to whet your appetite. I've spent many evenings smoking a cigar just looking at this car, so beautiful.

A few owners ago the paint and body work were completed. It appears to be a single stage paint that looks good but some time with a rotary buffer would make it look great. The fenders and running boards are all metal. The frame is solid but the floors have been replaced with galvanized sheet but have not been welded in yet. I have the original floorboards which are in pretty decent condition so I think the galvanized sheet was due to the engine and transmission swap that has been started. Strange. I'm really not sure.

The body number on the firewall body number matches the VIN tag. All door open and close amazingly well for a car this old, better than my ten year old Jeep for godsakes. The hood is not fully attached and after opening it up for pictures the body lines didn't always line up. Once placed placed back in its proper location, everything lines up nicely. Chrome trim is generally in good to excellent condition but the grill, radiator surround, and headlights need to be re-chromed to look their best. I have a set of fender skirts that are in primer and in good condition.

The original interior is in rough condition and will need to be reupholstered. All of the seat frames and springs are there but the leather hasn't weathered the New Mexico sun very well. I have the wood dash and window trim that needs to be refinished. The original transmission tunnel is out of the car but included. Originally this car was RHD but a previous owner started to covert it to LHD as seen in the interior shots. As far as I can tell, it was a clean swap and there has been minimal hacking involved. The original steering column and four spoke wheel is included. Iimages of the interior bits are are located in Albuquerque are in the photobucket link, the other bits I need to get from storage.

The car is not in running and driving condition. It rolls fine and can be pushed on to a trailer with ease. Currently there is a Mazda 13B rotary engine and 4 speed automatic out of a second generation RX-7 installed. These engine bays are tiny and while this is a clever choice, it is not my ideal option for a swap in any regard. The entire wiring harness and fuel tank from the RX-7 is currently installed and in the vehicle. I have not tried to make it run since I planned on installing an MGB engine and trans to keep things British and simple. That would provide enough push to keep things interesting without stressing the chassis and give me time to overhaul the original bits. The previous owner installed the rack and pinion steering out the the RX-7 as well but like the original tank, all removed parts are included but is located in storage.

The original engine and transmission are also located in storage. If I recall correctly, the numbers match but I need to double check this before committing to this statement. The engine is completely disassembled but all parts are included from the air cleaner down to the crank. It would need a full restoration to function. The trans is complete but I have no idea of its operating condition though given the state of disassembly of the engine, I suspect that the trans was not the reason for the engine swap. Images of the mechanical bits are in their own folder in the photobucket link.

Below is a photobucket with a slew of pictures I took a few hours ago. The password is Jaguar. The car is located in Albuquerque and was a little dusty when I took the pictures. Sorry, I did not have time to wash it before pictures but I think you'll be able to see the condition of the car fairly well as is. Sorry for the long post but I want to convey as much info as I can. Also...I love this car and want you guys to see it before it gets hidden in somebody's garage for the next 30 years.

1947 Jaguar MK IV Photos by Bouncewell | Photobucket
Password :Jaguar

Cheers,
John

Attached Thumbnails Testing the waters: 1947 Jaguar MK IV 1 1/2 Litre-p2182586_zpsd834df7a.jpg   Testing the waters: 1947 Jaguar MK IV 1 1/2 Litre-p2182593_zpsfb4711c0.jpg   Testing the waters: 1947 Jaguar MK IV 1 1/2 Litre-p2182620_zpsc3bd5c07.jpg   Testing the waters: 1947 Jaguar MK IV 1 1/2 Litre-p2182590_zps4e3defd8.jpg   Testing the waters: 1947 Jaguar MK IV 1 1/2 Litre-p2182588_zpsad370783.jpg  

Testing the waters: 1947 Jaguar MK IV 1 1/2 Litre-p2182614_zps6ba7b52e.jpg  

Last edited by Johnny Bouncewell; 02-26-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

John, that's a great slice of Jaguar history right there. It's great news to know the engine and trans come with the car. This sounds a 90+% complete project? If you can confirm it's totally complete makes selling far easier for a potential buyer, even original sun visors are important.
Hemmings Motor News maybe worth an advert, along with adverts in Jaguar World magazine and maybe advertise in the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club, it's the biggest worldwide. You will need to join, but it's worth it for the monthly magazine. Then there's eBay and things like Craigslist?

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Bouncewell (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
John, that's a great slice of Jaguar history right there. It's great news to know the engine and trans come with the car. This sounds a 90+% complete project? If you can confirm it's totally complete makes selling far easier for a potential buyer, even original sun visors are important.
All the bits for the car are sitting in a storage unit right now but cataloging them is my weekend project. Nothing glaring was missing when I bought it but I'm sure I overlooked something in my buyer's excitement. That said, I might be picking up an S3 XJ6 for parts on Saturday and since the MK 4 is living in my "non running car" parking spot, I have to get it stripped and gone by Monday or the fiance will hang me with a wiring harness.

Originally Posted by Sean B
Hemmings Motor News maybe worth an advert, along with adverts in Jaguar World magazine and maybe advertise in the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club, it's the biggest worldwide. You will need to join, but it's worth it for the monthly magazine. Then there's eBay and things like Craigslist?
I'm hoping to avoid throwing it to the wolves of eBay and Craigslist doesn't cover a large market in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Hemmings seems to cater to restored vehicles and I wanted to give active forum guys a chance before posting in national magazine. Its a probable place for it to end up though. I've got it on Jag-Lovers too but it takes a while before their forum updates the classifieds.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Bring A Trailer now. Should see some activity from there!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in purchasing

Please contact me via email @kensperf@hotmail.com
I am interested in your car.
Interested in any kind of running trades?
I have a bunch of normal and eccentric rides, no projects.
Do have some cash to buy as well.
Thanks, Ken, near Detroit Mi.