S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Jaguar S Type R engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 Jaguar S Type R engine issues

I purchased the car several months ago from a man who had shot a rod through the engine on it. I purchased it and brought it back down to my office. I was able to locate a used engine 4 hours away and rushed over to pick it up. After working on the car for 2 weeks straight (the new engine was bare so there was a lot of tedious swap overs that had to take place) I crank the car up and the new engine locks up. I am in the process of taking the valve covers off to check the chain guide. So far I can only see the top, but everything looks okay so far. The transmission is good on the car and so is the body and interior. So, I'm curious if anybody has had any issues with these cars. When I first turned the car on after swapping the engine and doing several oil flushes, I heard a loud clank and immediately turned the car off. I turned the car on again and it has pretty much just locked up.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Welcome Champion. Have a silly question...you mentioned you purchased a bare block. This means you didn't see/hear it running? If you correctly mated the engine to the trans., etc. all should have been well. The 03 STR has the venerable updated guides. Normally I'm an optimistic and charasmatic person, in regards to your motor swap issue...I'm not feeling "that way" today. You'll be able to fill in the rest. Ortherwise, call the seller of the motor and re-ask for the condition of the motor. Prepare your speech to try to have your money refunded. Hopeing I'm wrong, best of luck.

Last edited by bfsgross; 11-29-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 AM

The "new" engine was purchased from a resale yard. It was not purchased from an individual. They have guaranteed they will buy the motor back. I just hate the idea of ripping the motor out again and driving from Atlanta to NC to return it. I can confidently say, the motor was installed properly. It wasn't done in my backyard. I have a friend that owns a repair shop specializing in BMWs. He has worked on Jaguars but not as often as some of you have which is why I am looking for advice from experience here. After working on the thing for 2 weeks, I would hope that everything was installed perfectly!

The following users liked this post:
Restojavi (12-11-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Shouldn't have made the loud clunking/clanking sound. When you first tried to fire it up did the engagement of starter motor sound normal? Did the motor turn a few times then started clanking or was the sound immediately evident (as soon as starter engaged)? Continue looking over your work. I understand your dismay of unassemblying all, perhaps unbolt block from trans. and see if crank turns without clanking, or remove and check spark plugs for damage from valves and turn crank with spark plugs removed. Be sure to disable fuel pump.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

I don't have any answers as this is (luckily) very rare!

Did you turn the used motor over by hand before installing? I like to see at least a compression test and if possible a leak down test before install. As you said it's a LOT of work to swap a modern engine out so I want to be sure of what I am putting in!

Anytime I install a used motor or transmission. I always drop the pan and take a look. It's very easy and the cost of the gasket is low. Many new units have reusable O-ring type seals too.

If you can report back on what is locked up it might help the rest of us STR guys.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

you may try rotating the motor BACKWARDS several degrees by hand (large breaker-bar) and see of you have something in there causing interference.

I'm not a "Jaguar-Tech".... but standard, basic trouble-shooting applies: if you remove everything OUTSIDE the motor and it still doesn't turn.... then you're gonna have to go INSIDE.
sorry fro your frustration.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Default Block should have not been bare

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Shouldn't have made the loud clunking/clanking sound. When you first tried to fire it up did the engagement of starter motor sound normal? Did the motor turn a few times then started clanking or was the sound immediately evident (as soon as starter engaged)? Continue looking over your work. I understand your dismay of unassemblying all, perhaps unbolt block from trans. and see if crank turns without clanking, or remove and check spark plugs for damage from valves and turn crank with spark plugs removed. Be sure to disable fuel pump.
Whenever I purchased a salvaged motor, it was never picked bare. Unless the block is toast, salavage yards generally don't pick off long block assemblies. They'de rather sell it as it came out of the car, minus a/c compressor and alternator. As far as I'm concerned, if the accessory brackets, etc. are picked off then the salvage yard considered the block useless. Again, though I'm by nature an optimist; Champion was sold a bum block (thrown a rod).

Last edited by bfsgross; 11-28-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:10 AM

When I cranked the car up in ran like crap for a good 10 seconds then I heard a loud clank like something broke towards the front of the motor. I turned the car off asap. Now the engine is pretty much locked up.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Default Refund

Originally Posted by ChampionAR
When I cranked the car up in ran like crap for a good 10 seconds then I heard a loud clank like something broke towards the front of the motor. I turned the car off asap. Now the engine is pretty much locked up.
Time to haul it out and get your refund.
So sorry this is how it turned out.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM

That's the plan. I really hate this happened because I was very excited about this car. Now I seem to have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Oh well. Back to Audi I go . I listed it in the classifieds in hopes that maybe one of the more experienced Jag owners will be interested. Thanks for all the help!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

How much are you going to be asking for it?

Maybe consider parting it out?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM

GT42R - I've listed it in the classifieds with pictures. I am not interested in parting it out even though I'm sure I'd make more money. I just don't have the time. I'd like to get around $4500 for it.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Champion, haul the motor out, get your money refunded, then pop in a long block.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ChampionAR
GT42R - I've listed it in the classifieds with pictures. I am not interested in parting it out even though I'm sure I'd make more money. I just don't have the time. I'd like to get around $4500 for it.
Color?
Options installed?

Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...%244500-85855/

I'm also considering parting it out or I would take $4000 how it sits

Old 12-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I do not hear you about the engine oil, did you change the oil out upfront?
There might have been no oil at all, or water inside.

It should not take two weeks to swap the engine. Two full days max with two pair of hands.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 PM

Well I'm sure that would be the case if one had two straight days. But between the fact we also had a company to run and our friend (who had the shop that we took the car to so we could use a lift) had other cars to work on, it did take that long. Obviously it was stretched out a bit and not 24/7 a day for two weeks straight.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Engine issue

So sorry for all the headaches your having, if you return that engine and get a full refund take a look at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, sort of an online data base for used car parts / salvage yards that may have a good running engine. I do not work for them etc. but have found many good used parts and pieces through the years. Hope this helps and you get her back on the road!