S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 S-Type w/Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy '03 S-Type w/Oil Leak

I purchased my '03 S-Type back in Jan '07 (w/ just under 50,000km). I had my share of issues with it. Recently my wife complained about some burning smell. I took it to Jag dealer where I purchased and they found a oil leak coming from right engine valve cover gasket and from air intake manifold variable runner soleniod. They recommends to replace solenoid 'O' ring and valve cover gasket. I haven't got the quote yet but I assume it would be quite pricy.

Prior to this I had to replace coolant hose (octopus), coolant reservoir. I guess the front brake is just wear-and-tear.

It has just over 77,000 km. Is it normal to start replacing a gasket? Should I hold off on the repair? I think it's not leaking a lot now.

Any comments or advise will be appriciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Do a search on here about IMT O-rings... I would have them replaced or do it yourself. If you search a great many users have done them themselves. A bit of a chore to take everything apart but the replacement parts are of an improved design. Do a search for the user "joycesjag" as well. He has posted some good pics and comments regarding the service of the intake. Also, he did it himself.

The following users liked this post:
hawaiiansurfster (01-01-2013)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I would bet a $1000 you dont need cam cover gaskets, just replace the upper and especially the lower imt orings. Its 4 8mm bolts and they slide out. Wipe out the oil that accumulates around the bottom imt.

The following users liked this post:
JagloverRSA (08-26-2019)
Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 AM

Thanks for qucik response!!!!

The Jag Tech told me that the leak from the valve gasket is dropping to manifold which burned the oil. And told me that the smell is coming from there.

I searched the forum to find the instruction to remove IMT and I couldn't. Could someone provide me with some guide?

Thanks, again!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 AM

If i had a $1000 for everytime someone said or change a cam gasket needlessly for that i could buy a new camaro, seriously. If you look at the black imt valves on the back of the intake right above the alledged cam leak onto the exhaust. Youll see they have 2 8mm bolts each that hold them in, take out the bolts and pull the imt vavles strainght out after you disconnect the electrical connectors. Take off the oring on each 1 and replace with the green jaguar ones(the green is a sealant)
now if it is your cam covers it will still be leaking after you replace the imt orings and then you can spend the serious money!

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
chucky60 (11-19-2011), JagloverRSA (08-26-2019), Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-07-2014)
Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks Brutal!!!
That sounds like a plan (to do something on my holiday).
For the parts, where should I purchase them? I searched JaguarParts.com but I couldn't find it.

I only found manifold gaskets but I don't think they're the right parts.
Manifold gasket, s-type, 3.0l, upper 00-07 $11.20 $9.52
Fuel system - Fuel induction - Intake - Manifold gasket

Manifold gasket, s-type, 3.0l, lower 01-07 $11.20 $9.52
Fuel system - Fuel induction - Intake - Manifold gasket

Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 AM

I think I found the correct part.
http://www.jagbits.com/mm5/merchant...._EngineMech_21

I will check the local dealer and see if they have reasonable price.
Thanks!!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:08 PM

THOSE ARE NOT THE CORRECT INTAKE GASKETS BECAUSE 00-02 USED DIFFERENT INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS THEM 03 AND UP. AND YOU CAN REUSE THE LATER LARGE ONES FROM THE FACTORY. YOU DONT HAVE TO REMOVE THE INTAKE TO DO THE IMT'S. IF YOU CANT GET BEHIND THE INTAKE CAUSE YOUR NOT A CONTORTIONIST, THEN REMOVE THE WIPER COWL AND BRACE TO ACCESS. i WOULD CALL ON THE IMT ORINGS ARE MAKE "SURE" THEY HAVE THE GREEN COATING. OTHERWISE JUST GET FROM THE DEALER

Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Hi Brutal,

I checked the dealer and they're selling it for $4 cdn each. I guess it's reasonable. I will pick them up tomorrow and replace it over the holiday.

But where does these oil coming from? When I replace the IMT o-rings, it will not leak out, but wouldn't oil get into cylinder and burn?

Thanks again!

Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 AM

Its all part of the crankcase evacuation system that vents crankcase pressure to the intake to burn for emissions. Since its oil laden air it collects and settles in the lowest part of the intake(right at the lower imt) the green imt orings seal very well, alot better than people ive seen just pull out the valves and slap rtv on them

Old 12-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the good info, Brutal!!!

I picked up the new set of o-rings from the dealer. I guess I got some work to do on the long holiday weekend.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

ndy4eva, sorry I was away from puters for a few days. Anyhow Brutal has you covered. If you look at the last valve cover stud and nut you will see oil from the IMT. Also oil is dripping onto the exhaust manifild heat shield and thats where you are smelling the oil from.

Attached Thumbnails '03 S-Type w/Oil Leak-valve-cover-zoom.jpg  

Last edited by joycesjag; 12-25-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Smile

I replace the o-rings yesterday. It took me couple of hours finish it all. There was significant amount of oil leaking from the lower IMT. When I open and remove lower IMT, the solenoid was covered with oil. Also, I found the exhuast cover was covered with oil. The attached photos are taken after I cleaned the inside of IMT and the exhuast cover, and old & new O rings.

When I finished and started the engine, there was smoke coming from same area. At first I was very concerned about the oil leak from other area. It turns out to be the oil from lower IMT when I removed it. Phew~ I test drove it for a short while yesterday and it seems to be fine. I have to add some oil as the oil level was at mid mark of low and high.

Also, I discovered oil from left engine cover (where the spark plugs is). I cleaned it for now but should I be concerned with it? The other side was clean.

I can not thank enough, Brutal!!!
Thank you!!!!

Attached Thumbnails '03 S-Type w/Oil Leak-20091224-imgp5723.jpg   '03 S-Type w/Oil Leak-20091224-imgp5725.jpg   '03 S-Type w/Oil Leak-20091224-imgp5727.jpg   '03 S-Type w/Oil Leak-20091224-imgp5730.jpg  
Old 12-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

The valve cover has 2 gaskets, 1 for the cover itself and also an inner 1 that keeps oil from the spark plug holes, those are known to go bad. But I would wait and see before changing those out. Great job BTW the pics are great too.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Thanks, Rick!

I guess I will need to monitor left cam cover and oil comsumption.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

I found the pic of the valve cover gaskets. Everyone disreguard the business card.

Attached Thumbnails '03 S-Type w/Oil Leak-valve-cover-gaskets.jpg  
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I found the pic of the valve cover gaskets. Everyone disreguard the business card.
JoycesJag, I think you're right on this one. I cheked the cam today (after removing the cover) and there was bit of oil-leak on the top (pool on the last spark plug cap). I guess I will leave them there for now. Do you know how hard to replace the valve cover gaskets? Is it something I should venture? or ask the professional to do it?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

To replace the valve cover gasket, passenger side (US) the intake has to come off. Some will say you will have to replace the upper intake gaskets as well (I did) others will say to wipe off, inspect and no visual problems reuse. Replacement of that side could be done under 3 hours, make sure you have JTIS or www.alldatadiy.com for that procedure. The only problem I had doing the pass. side was, there is a vacuum line at the back of the intake I could not figure out how to disconnect and still to this day I play with the "replaced connector" and can't figure it out. Since you have replaced the IMT's you should be more than able to accomplish this job as well!

Drivers side (US) should be easy and less time consuming.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
to replace the valve cover gasket, passenger side (us) the intake has to come off. Some will say you will have to replace the upper intake gaskets as well (i did) others will say to wipe off, inspect and no visual problems reuse. Replacement of that side could be done under 3 hours, make sure you have jtis or www.alldatadiy.com for that procedure. The only problem i had doing the pass. Side was, there is a vacuum line at the back of the intake i could not figure out how to disconnect and still to this day i play with the "replaced connector" and can't figure it out. Since you have replaced the imt's you should be more than able to accomplish this job as well!

Drivers side (us) should be easy and less time consuming.
you push in the black ring around the vac pipe and while holding in pull the line out to disconnect. It works like a air hose connector. And ndy4eva, on the cam cover leak, pull the coils up and out to check for oil in the wells. If there is, then you need gaskets

Old 04-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Thanks Rick and Brutal,
I think I have another weekend job lined up for me. The current leak is on the driver side (us), so it should be relatively easy. Is there anything i need to be concerned?

Do I need to remove the spark plugs? or just remove the spark plug cables?

Rick,
How much was the gasket?

Quick Reply: '03 S-Type w/Oil Leak