S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 4.0 S-Type Fuel Pump???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 4.0 S-Type Fuel Pump???

So guys...and gals....let me tell you a little story.

Our 2000 S-Type decided to die the other day in the Disneyland parking lot. 77k on the odo. We have had quite a few issues with it over the years...we are the only owners and it is dealer serviced. We do have an extended warranty and it has covered pretty much everything. Dealer and warranty co's have been very good to us. Coils...lots of coils. Tranny failed at 60k. Headliner falling out, parts breaking, etc.

This was the first stranding however. Car was towed to the dealer and the next day they have good/bad news. Good news is they know what it is....fuel pump. Good news again...covered under warranty. But then the bad news...

The part is not available. They have had another car on their lot since January and the part (OEM and aftermarket) is backordered for 1-2 months. I have made a few calls today and confirmed this through a couple of other parts suppliers...one in Michigan. He called his competitors...same result.

I'm kind of floored at the moment....I'm not sure how to handle this one. Guess I just wanted to share this info and hope that maybe someone knows of a way to get a part...or a dealer who has the part. Our dealer is willing to work with us if we can find the part.

Also, I don't know if this is an anomaly or signs of the current economic conditions. One guy said he thought it was just an issue with this one part.

So there you have it....I'll keep you posted as to what happens next. Luckily we have an extra car....but 2 months is not good and what little good feeling I have left about our Jag and how pretty it is....well that good feeling is melting away.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I feel your pain. It's a very discouraging feeling when you're told by your dealer that a common replacement part is currently unavailable for a car less than 10 years old....

We purchased a 2005 S-Type a week before Christmas and it has been a great car for us, our highway cruiser that has turned out to be exactly what we needed. It is still under factory warranty until mid-July. And although our car is 5 model years newer than yours, given the economic downturn and the recent purchase of Jaguar by the Tata conglomerate in India, I wonder what the future holds for long-term parts availability. This morning I went to the Tata Motors website and used the "Contact Us" feature there to voice these same concerns to Tata. It will be interesting to see what kind of response they send me....

Sure hope you can source the appropriate fuel pump from somewhere soon regardless of whether it is OEM or aftermarket. Having a car sit around unused for several months is certainly not conducive to its overall health. What about trying local and regional salvage yards for a temporary pump which could carry you through until your new pump finally shows up? Discuss that option with both your dealer and your warranty company and insist that they pursue that path so you do not lose the use of your car for an extraordinarily unacceptable period of time....

Good luck to you and keep us posted....

Old 02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I just did a quick search on Autozone and they say they have the part. I would call first, and double check the fit since I've seen some weird stuff on their site before. Here are the part numbers I found. Airtex Master / Fuel Pump only #E2314 $120.99. This would require the strainers.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I just quoted a customer on that exact car yesterday the fuel sender assembly whih houses the pump is available its 645.00 at my dealer in canada you shud give us a call .

Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I'll keep everyone posted. Wonder if the two options above are the same. Think maybe the Autozone part is something else. I've been seeing atleast $500+ for a fuel pump so maybe worth it to followup with the friend from north of the border. Unless of course Autozone really does sell the part and the expensive part is not the correct part.

Wonder how the Exchange rate will look? Wonder how my warranty company will respond?

I'm going to call my dealer and get his thoughts before going further. Not much sense chasing if they won't go for it.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

If you would like to escalate your issue to Jaguar's U.S. corporate office for executive assistance, here is the contact information you'll need to do so:

.... Personal contact information deleted at the request of Jaguar USA ....
.... Jaguar U.S. Corporate can be reached at (800) 452-4827, option 9 ....

He personally responded to me today via e-mail to the question I sent to Tata Motors in India yesterday about what I can expect in terms of parts availability for my 2005 S-Type looking 10 to 15 years down the road. In a nutshell, he said that parts will remain available for a minimum of 10 years and in some cases, for much longer than that. However, the older your vehicle is, the greater the chances are that its parts will be warehoused in the U.K., not here in the U.S.

Keep us posted as this issue moves forward for you....

Last edited by Jon89; 03-11-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Requested by Jaguar USA
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 PM

If you have to pay for it i can get for a better price .

Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 AM

Thanks Jon....I will be contacting them for sure. Jag Gen....I'm checking on it. Thanks for all the help and I'll for sure keep everyone posted. I have never heard of such a problem on an 8 year old car.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Here is my email to Campbell....will post a reply when I get it.

Dear Sir,

My name is Brian ---- and my wife Rachel's 2000 S-Type 4.0 broke down last week. It was towed to our dealership here in Newport Beach, Bauer Jaguar. They have told us the problem is the fuel pump. Right now they are saying we have to wait 1-2 months as it is on national backorder. I have called around and nobody has the part that I can find. We are unable to get a Jag, aftermarket or Ford part. To say this was hard to believe is a understatement. You certainly don't expect this sort of treatment when purchasing a $50k car. The dealer has had another S-Type on their lot since January with the same issue.

I wonder whether you are aware of the problem? Is this problem something you expect to continue for Jaguar given the current economic conditions and recent purchase by Tata? I will close in saying I am still kind of shocked at this problem. We found out the news on Monday and I have been trying to figure out how to deal with the situation. It is very disconcerting to say the least.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response and hopefully an explanation of the problem.

Brian -------

Old 02-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Yes those are usa backordered, and the one from aftermarket is the pump which can be used you have to take the assembly apaprt and install. The 1 jaguar supplies is the module which contains the pujmp, fuel sender in white anti slosh housing. But you could also get a loaner and jaguar pays for all loaners to the dealer for backordered parts so it doesnt come from the dealer loaner car day alotments

Old 02-27-2009, 07:48 PM

Brutal: Are you talking about a loaner part or a loaner car? Sorry, a bit confused about your statement.

Latest Update:
As of today it looks like we have the part ordered. The dealer has not actually secured the part on their premise yet so until that happens I'm not getting excited. The part was found based on help directly from this board...and for that I am very appreciative.

Trying to involve multiple dealers, a manufacturer and a warranty company is never going to be easy. I have now involved the Service Director and I feel like he is really trying to help. He told us today they went ahead and got the part from the other dealer. Just have to wait for it to be shipped. The part is marked up quite a bit but I was willing to pay the difference. Since there are only a couple of these that appear to be available I feel fortunate we are getting one at all.

Today the SD did say that Jag would step up and take care of a rental car while the car was down. That was the first I heard of this offer. Up until today we were told 6 days from our Warranty Co (I thought that was fair) and the dealer would cover another day or two. Unfortunately this would not work for the long term. Jag stepping up and saying they will cover our rental car while the part is back ordered in my mind is the right thing to do and I commend them for it. We have not gone to get the rental car yet so again I'll be more impressed if they follow through.

Other than some poor communication from our dealer late yesterday and this morning I am very happy with the help we are receiving. The SD seems to want to help and is also trying to get Jag to cover the extra cost of the part...we'll see if that happens. My only complaint is a perceived lack of effort yesterday to secure the part when it was critical to make it happen.

Our dealer has also washed the car and placed it into their warehouse on premise...again the right thing to do and they were willing to take care of it when asked. They did not offer this to us however.

I'll keep everyone updated as we know more. Hopefully they ordered the part like they say they did and we will have it early next week.

Take Care.

Last edited by bleachii; 02-27-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Let me add one more thing. The word we are receiving is that the parts manufacturer went out of business. I can't believe they were the only maker of the part so I'm not 100% certain about this information but it certainly seems feasible and likely. Some Ford vehicles and I heard one Chevy truck also use the same part. None of the Ford parts are available either. Based on the information I have heard I really think this is a big problem. I'm not sure anyone knows how long it will take to get another manufacturer ramped up to start making the part again.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Veteran member

Not really related, but, I've recieved the same high quality treatment so far from my dealer as well.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

Is this fuel pump mounted inside the gas tank? If so, then it would be very difficult to modify a different pump to fit your application. But if the pump sits outside the gas tank, other pumps could more easily be modified to work in your specific car....

I mention this as food for thought in the event that you or anyone else on this forum experiences this problem in the future. Hopefully, Jaguar will find another supplier and begin building these pumps again, but by law they are only required to have parts available for 10 years after the model year's production ends (in your case, until some point in 2010)....

Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 AM

The package was sent out yesterday so you should see it early next week. We bought the last couple fuel pump assemblies in the world . Our dealer is pretty smart .

Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Jon: The pumps are located in the tank, with access via a panel under the rear seat. Better setup than the Lincoln Town Car I helped a friend do. We had to drop the tank (without a lift!) and then get it apart. We got a replacement pump only and had to basically rebuild the housing with the new pump and socks. It was a pain, but worked. Then again, the Lincoln only had 1 pump.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 AM

so does the jag

Old 02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Ah, yes. It is a non R type we're talking about. What is the fuel transfer pump that is listed in the schematics?

Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 AM

its a jet pump.. it s just plastic.. works like a pump.. to help keep the saddle tank even with fuel.. on both sides.. for weight distribution..

Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey _genius,

since nobody else recognized you for it, I'll say nice job in stepping up to help someone who wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

By the way, is my dealer the only one who asks the question "We don't have it in stock, Jaguar doesn't have it in stock, do you want me to run it on a dealer locator?" I've been able to buy alot of scarce items in the past that way. I assumed it was standard practice, particularly in a VOR situation.

Quick Reply: 2000 4.0 S-Type Fuel Pump???