S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about some U.S. spec options!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Questions about some U.S. spec options!

Hello all,
I'm checking out several imported U.S. type S-Types and found some options I'm not quite clear about what they mean exactly! I tried to get more info from the official brochures (Ford media server) but to no avail. Maybe you can tell me more about:

INTERACTIVE VEHICLE DYNAMICS
STYLE PACK (that pack is never mentioned in a S-Type brochure)
MARKETING LEVEL 1
HDLAMP OPERA-FMVSS 108 PATTERN
LESS TEMP CONTROL DRIVER SEAT (does this mean, no heated seats? They seem to have memory and 10x electric adjust)
BLACK EXT.DOOR FRAME MOLDING
LESS WARNING DISPLAYS

Thanks folks!
FritzTheJag

Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts
Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Received 6,241 Likes on 5,442 Posts

I guess that is just what it says on the tin, most of the door frame molding is polished aluminium, mine is a sport which is de-chromed and has black.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

BLACK EXT. etc - the EXT will be External or Exterior
so, black instead of chrome
I think USA know them as weather strips (the window edge surrounds)

Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

On HDLAMP (headlamp) - certainly here (England) any HIDs must also have self-levelling and headlamp washers. This may well be an EC (EU) requirement i.e. law. USA/Canada do not meet the legal requirements here.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM

Cheers police666 and JagV8,

Maybe you can tell me if FMVSS108 would mean no auto-leveling and washers? I have the bad feeling my Xenons are as of now not EU legal, as they don't seem to "test" themselves at the car's start?!

Regards
FritzTheJag

Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Norri

I guess that is just what it says on the tin, most of the door frame molding is polished aluminium, mine is a sport which is de-chromed and has black.
Funny thing is, mine clearly has the polished aluminium... maybe that options information isn't that accurate?

Anybody has a better idea than me about these?:
- INTERACTIVE VEHICLE DYNAMICS
- STYLE PACK
- MARKETING LEVEL 1

Regards
FritzTheJag

Old 02-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Norri was probably referring to NAS (USA etc) spec but in any case trim was optional in many ways.

Sounds like your headlamps are illegal, at least here. Will be an MoT fail from April. That would mean car off road.
NAS does not so far as I know require either self-levelling HIDs or powerwash. Both are required to be working by law here.

You do seem to need the German spec and German laws. You're a bit hopeful (in the extreme) that anyone here knows them in detail....

Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
You do seem to need the German spec and German laws. You're a bit hopeful (in the extreme) that anyone here knows them in detail....
The German laws I know -> Xenon needs auto-leveling and washers.

I'm just not sure if there really are U.S. Xenon cars out there without the auto-leveling (I have seen U.S. cars without the washers, which mine does seem to have (unless these caps are only empty inside)).

Regards
Fritz

Last edited by FritzTheJag; 02-27-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

USA cars with powerwash are rare indeed. Don't know if jag bothered to fit or delete the self-levelling sensors. It would save money to have left them off, though.

Easy test for yours: with a friend, switch on headlights and use the windscreen washer. Every 6 squirts the headlamps should also be washed so the washers should pop up. You can manage without a friend but it's better with one

Last edited by JagV8; 02-27-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8

Easy test for yours: with a friend, switch on headlights and use the windscreen washer. Every 6 squirts the headlamps should also be washed so the washers should pop up. You can manage without a friend but it's better with one
Yes, have them bend down and look closely at the headlight squirters. Make sure the doors are locked and your escape route is clear.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

haha, er... I said friend!!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Could you please tell us where you are getting that information from. That looks like "build sheet" information and not the type of data that would appear on a option sheet.

IE "Marketing Level 1" sounds like a promo trim grouping, probably to boost sales or mark a change in model year.

Jaguar built many versions for different regions of the world. Even Canada and the US have differences, so just saying it is a North American spec car isn't enough.

Also, what year car are you talking about.

I have a bunch of stuff still... Maybe I can help.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Could you please tell us where you are getting that information from. That looks like "build sheet" information and not the type of data that would appear on a option sheet.
Thanks JOsworth, that information came from Jaguar's TOPIx web site, when I registered the car's VIN.
The car was delivered to Jaguar of Texas when new.

Regards
Fritz

Old 03-01-2012, 04:48 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by FritzTheJag
Thanks JOsworth, that information came from Jaguar's TOPIx web site, when I registered the car's VIN.
The car was delivered to Jaguar of Texas when new.

Regards
Fritz
What year and engine is the car? Very important detail since equipment levels changed from year to year.

The interesting thing about US spec cars is that they actually had very few options. Not like the European versions. Basically you had a couple of trim packs that you could add to the 3.0 (that was the base car here in the US). Some of those pack items became standard on a V8 car. Then just about everything became standard on the R.

Then there were some stuff that was never standard.... Like the integrated phone and Navigation.

So elaborate a little more and let me dig.... I enjoy this stuff.....

Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 AM

What year and engine is the car? Very important detail since equipment levels changed from year to year.
Sorry, of course:
My car is a MJ2006 3.0 litre 6 speed automatic

Options I found so far (working)
- Navigation
- Bluetooth connect
- 14/10 ways electric leather seats
- electric steering wheel
- photochromatic mirrors
- parking aid rear
- Xenons*

Options I'm unsure if they are really there
- electric pedals (only some relay clicking)
- folding mirrors (only some relay clicking)
- *Xenon automatic leveling and washers

Regards
Fritz

Old 03-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Sorry, of course:
My car is a MJ2006 3.0 litre 6 speed automatic

Options I found so far (working)
- Navigation
- Bluetooth connect
- 14/10 ways electric leather seats
- electric steering wheel
- photochromatic mirrors
- parking aid rear
- Xenons*

Options I'm unsure if they are really there
- electric pedals (only some relay clicking)
- folding mirrors (only some relay clicking)
- *Xenon automatic leveling and washers

Regards
Fritz
OK, First off, the options you are "looking" for. Folding mirrors were not on any S Type's in US. They were only available as a dealer accessory. If you have Xenon headlamps, they do have a self leveling feature. If yours aren't working it is probably because something broke and may not have been repaired properly. This is a really common problem that is discussed often on the forum. Based on the confirmed content you list, your car should have adjustable pedals. You can tell by looking at the steering wheel adjustment switch. On standard cars, you will have a dial that rotates from "column" to "auto". On power pedal cars, you will have the same dial that also includes a position that says "pedals". Headlamp washers is another interesting thing here in the US. They were not listed in any sales information that I have seen yet I have seen US spec cars with them. The same can be said about the heated windscreen option. Both of these items were available on Canadian cars. My theory is that a few cars with Canadian content made it to the US. The real easy way to see is to just look at the bumper under the headlights. If there is a triangular cap just below the headlights then you have the washers.

From what I can tell, your car is a Premium Package 3.0 with stand alone Xenon Headlamp and Navigation options. Now, from what I can recall, in 06 there was a Vanden Plas option. I am not sure if it was available on the 3.0.

Here is a listing for a black 4.2 with the VDP tags. Note the seats have piping and the wood is a darker burl walnut.

Cars for Sale: 2006 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 in Bridgewater, MA 02324: Sedan Details - 314173949 - AutoTrader.com

It would also seem that your car has the dealer installed phone. Since Heated Seats were a stand alone option and your car came from Texas, it probably doesn't have them.

Hope this helps. I have attached equipment specs from a 2005 Jaguar press release. The 05 and 06 were almost identical.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S-TYPE_FULLSPEC_JNA.pdf (158.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: pdf
S-TYPE_OPTIONS_JNA.pdf (50.9 KB, 97 views)
Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 AM

Hope this helps. I have attached equipment specs from a 2005 Jaguar press release. The 05 and 06 were almost identical.
Thanks, all good information!

Folding mirrors were not on any S Type's in US.
I didn't expect to have them, I just checked its activation in the manual and can clearly hear some relay clicking. Not sure what to make of it.

If you have Xenon headlamps, they do have a self leveling feature.
That's good to hear. So I will check for the manual adjustments or if a repair is needed. They can't be totally broken though, the light is not jittery or anything.
If there is a triangular cap just below the headlights then you have the washers.
The thing is, the front bumper has been retrofitted (I know so, because it has OEM parking aid sensors, but the car doesn't, no button) I will have to check with a friend, if the washers are extending. Otherwise the caps might just be glued in.

your car should have adjustable pedals.
Yeah, I noticed it on the switch and also hear a relay when switching it forwards and backwards... nothing happens though...

It would also seem that your car has the dealer installed phone.
No, the space is empty and looks mint. With Bluetooth I won't miss it and I wasn't too sure it would support E-Netz frequencies anyway...

Thanks and regards
FritzTheJag

Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

Some answers in Red within your quote...

Thanks, all good information!

Folding mirrors were not on any S Type's in US.
I didn't expect to have them, I just checked its activation in the manual and can clearly hear some relay clicking. Not sure what to make of it.

I would have a dealer maybe look at it? I can't think of what would make that click

If you have Xenon headlamps, they do have a self leveling feature.
That's good to hear. So I will check for the manual adjustments or if a repair is needed. They can't be totally broken though, the light is not jittery or anything.

Check for a screw mounted in the adjuster area. I never had the Xenons so didn't fix them. Do a search here, you will see plenty of posts with pictures showing the fix and where they put the screw.

If there is a triangular cap just below the headlights then you have the washers.
The thing is, the front bumper has been retrofitted (I know so, because it has OEM parking aid sensors, but the car doesn't, no button) I will have to check with a friend, if the washers are extending. Otherwise the caps might just be glued in.

I find it odd that a washer bumper was fitted in the US as a repair, unless it was fitted in Europe. Then it would make sense, since based on what I know your car shouldn't have front park sensors or headlamp washers.

your car should have adjustable pedals.
Yeah, I noticed it on the switch and also hear a relay when switching it forwards and backwards... nothing happens though...

See my comment regarding the mirrors. Your car should have them and they should work.

It would also seem that your car has the dealer installed phone.
No, the space is empty and looks mint. With Bluetooth I won't miss it and I wasn't too sure it would support E-Netz frequencies anyway...

See, in all S Types in the US the "handsfree" phone was a dealer installed option. By 2006 the integrated handset was essentially gone and you got the bluetooth set up. I'll elaborate more below.

Thanks and regards
FritzTheJag
Your car is really interesting. Did you import it yourself or did you buy from someone that imported it? I ask because it sounds like someone started to convert it to European standards and stopped. The phone is one of the things that makes me say that. Europe uses a different phone set up then the US. Without getting too technical, the actual phone module for a European car would be different than the phone module in a US car. The bluetooth module would be the same. Since the phone is really set up as a stand alone plug in system, it would make sense that someone added it in Europe. They are really easy to fit. It would also make sense since your phone worked fine right away.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 AM

Your car is really interesting. Did you import it yourself or did you buy from someone that imported it? I ask because it sounds like someone started to convert it to European standards and stopped. The phone is one of the things that makes me say that. Europe uses a different phone set up then the US. Without getting too technical, the actual phone module for a European car would be different than the phone module in a US car. The bluetooth module would be the same. Since the phone is really set up as a stand alone plug in system, it would make sense that someone added it in Europe. They are really easy to fit. It would also make sense since your phone worked fine right away.
The car was driven from 0 to 15000 miles in Texas and then was exported to Europe and converted (phone system is indeed a good indicator). I bought it with 45000 km. I will make separate thread with all the open issues I have with it (I bought it anyway, since the drivetrain, paint and leather show the low mileage and make it a good basis).

Regards
Fritz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about some U.S. spec options!