S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking about buying an STR

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thinking about buying an STR

Hey guys if you've red my recent posts i've been having trouble with one of my cars and just about to give up on it and just sell both my cars and get me an STR. Im gonna take my car to the jag dealer one more last time in attempt to figure out where the knocking sound is comming from. Just wanted to ask what I should look for while test driving. I found an 06 with 37K for $21945 I test drove it and it feels great I love the sound of the supercharger whinning. Two things that concerned me is that the shift stick on the j gate doesn't properly catch where it should, say your in drive and shift the knob to neutral or reverse you have to move the knob a bit further above N or R and then reposition it back to be right next to your selection, but i'll have them look at it. another thing is that when driving i would hear just a random beep noise that sounds like the noise the parking sensors make when something is close but its not a beep-beep-beep just a single beep. any thoughts on what this might be?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

David, if you like the STR then go with it. After agreeing on a sale price, have the dealer check out your concerns. The constant rear sensor beep may indicate the sensors are dirty (tricking the sensor) or a fault is indicated. The J-Gate can be adjusted.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

I have a random beep but it's when I am in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. I think the park sensors are catching something at the end of their range, so you only get one beep or so. I have never had it happen when I am just cruising on the interstate or other open roads.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidRey
Two things that concerned me is that the shift stick on the j gate doesn't properly catch where it should, say your in drive and shift the knob to neutral or reverse you have to move the knob a bit further above N or R and then reposition it back to be right next to your selection, but i'll have them look at it. another thing is that when driving i would hear just a random beep noise that sounds like the noise the parking sensors make when something is close but its not a beep-beep-beep just a single beep. any thoughts on what this might be?
The shifter linkage bolts loosen up on these things all the time... Contact the dealer selling the car and have them tighten them up before it becomes a big problem...Read the thread where a user bought one where the previous owner epoxied it... Ugggg..

The beeping sound my also be coming from the shifter, but I thought those only sounded an alarm (faint beep) when not properly in park. Again, a sign the shift cable is out of alignment.

Another source of the beep may be front distance sensors... When you have them, the car will beep when you creep up on someone at a light (test drove one with it). Take a note if the car you test drove has what looks like the rear sensor buttons on the front bumper...

Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

i was under mine doing the O2 sensor, and reached back and gave them a good 1/4 turn. so easy to get too and keep tightened

Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

dirty or sensing something in proximity....I don't think all's well if they (rear sensors) are causing a beep whilst not in reverse. If it has front...ok...active in Drive and dirt or moisture could be the root cause. Or have I a total misunderstanding of the system? I know on our S-types, if you are reversing toward an obstacle, the back-up alarm can just be going crazy..but immediate silence pervades as soon as you kick into N or D or P.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
dirty or sensing something in proximity....I don't think all's well if they (rear sensors) are causing a beep whilst not in reverse. If it has front...ok...active in Drive and dirt or moisture could be the root cause. Or have I a total misunderstanding of the system? I know on our S-types, if you are reversing toward an obstacle, the back-up alarm can just be going crazy..but immediate silence pervades as soon as you kick into N or D or P.
Totally agree with you. The rear sensors should only be beeping if you are in reverse. So I would check it may have the front ones if not I would venture a guess and say its a shifter problem.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Definately get the R, its a world different than the taurus-powered regular one..you will love it. Does it have any warranty remaining?

If you want to wait another year I will be selling my black '07 R, it is under select edition warranty until 2014 and it will have right around those miles.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Z06
Definately get the R, its a world different than the taurus-powered regular one..you will love it. Does it have any warranty remaining?
Ummmm... Why Oh Why do people keep thinking the 3.0 is a "taurus" motor.... It is based on the Ford Duratech, and was built in Cleveland, but do some research.... The highly modified engine was only used in the LS and S Type....

Old 06-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

josworth is correct...I had an 02 X-Type 3.0 Jag recieves the Ford Duratech block then goes to town on it...Jag heads, etc. Pretty spirited high winding motor.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 PM

If you want to wait another year I will be selling my black '07 R, it is under select edition warranty until 2014 and it will have right around those miles.
I wouldnt mind waiting it's just that I have to get rid of my "06" I don't know what the hell is causing the knock/ tick sound and neither do the folks at both jaguar dealers that I took it into. I've just about given up and want to let it go before I get stuck with a broke down $1300 jag so trading it is my only option because I'm not going to sell it to some one knowing that something might be seriously wrong with the engine. I can only hope that the next person that is interested in it will notice it or get an extended warranty on it. As for your back STR I would gladly take it off your hands as I would really like the STR in black but unfortunatly I won't be able to :-( just curious how much would you ask for and what state do you live in?

Last edited by DavidRey; 06-12-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the help guys, what is the maintenance like on the STR? is it about the same as the 3.0? I here people say that they are expensive but what jag isn't? I actually went today while they where closed to have another look at it to help me make my decison. Just having a hard time because of my recent experiance with my "06". I really don't want to a end up in this situation again. I have to say when test driving you could not tell that there was a supercharged V8 sitting in front of you until you press down on the gas. This is how my "06" was before changing the oil, the engine was so quite you couldnt hear it but after my first oil change the engine seemed a little bit noticable and also got the tick/knock sound I'm hearing. So my question is: is the supercharged V8 normally this quet or maybe the dealer put something in it that would quet the engine? What besides a compression check can I have done to the car to make sure it's running well? the car is out of warrenty but will probably be buying a 3/3000mile warranty. By the way this is at a jaguar dealer.

Last edited by DavidRey; 06-12-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It really is not bad if you have a warranty. I just had the fuel pump done on mine under warranty. Never had that fail on a car before with only 20k miles on it, but the advisor said it was probably because the car sat for 11 months without being started.

I just put new EBC brake pads on and they were a whopping $83. Oil changes are about $100 with synthetic oil. Tires are $1000 for a set of 4 (275/19's). Nothing out of the ordinary really.

My motor has a very slight ticking noise to it, but so did my DOHC SVT Cobra. I think all DOHC motors tick just a little bit. I seem to remember hearing a 3.0 tick a little bit at the dealer once too. You will know the difference between a ticking and a knocking noise. If you start it up and you hear pounding, the motor needs to be replaced.

Last edited by 08Z06; 06-12-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 AM

There was this guy that worked there who owns an 04 STR and said that if I didn't buy the one on the lot he would sell me his for $13000 it was tempting but I like the 05-08 models better than the 03-04. It was really clean though it had black metalic exterior and charcol and ash two tone interior and blacked-out zues wheels.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 AM

It really is not bad if you have a warranty. I just had the fuel pump done on mine under warranty. Never had that fail on a car before with only 20k miles on it, but the advisor said it was probably because the car sat for 11 months without being started.

I just put new EBC brake pads on and they were a whopping $83. Oil changes are about $100 with synthetic oil. Tires are $1000 for a set of 4 (275/19's). Nothing out of the ordinary really.

My motor has a very slight ticking noise to it, but so did my DOHC SVT Cobra. I think all DOHC motors tick just a little bit. I seem to remember hearing a 3.0 tick a little bit at the dealer once too. You will know the difference between a ticking and a knocking noise. If you start it up and you hear pounding, the motor needs to be replaced.
the tick on mine was a bit to loude for comfort for me at idle it sounds like a tick but if you rev it to 1500 Rpm it would sound more like a knock and then go back to a tick ubove that. I'm assuming you had the select edition warranty where you don't pay a cent right? I don't think the extended warrenty covers scheduled maintenace cost and also has a deductable :-(

Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default georgia

whereabouts in georgia? Im in southeast alabama. Ozark if youve ever heard of it. if not its near dothan. Are you anywhere close to me?

Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

David, I had an 02 X-Type 3.0 The tick you hear at idle that turns into a rap when pressing the gas is caused by spun/burnt connecting wrist pins/rod bearings. Drove it for a while till she blew. Threw in a low mileage motor...drove for a while till traded her in for an 03 STR. When I parked her in the car lot for the last time I ran from her like I did from the very mad dyke who's bitch I mistakenly tried to pick up in my freshman year in college (True Story).

Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
David, I had an 02 X-Type 3.0 The tick you hear at idle that turns into a rap when pressing the gas is caused by spun/burnt connecting wrist pins/rod bearings. Drove it for a while till she blew. Threw in a low mileage motor...drove for a while till traded her in for an 03 STR. When I parked her in the car lot for the last time I ran from her like I did from the very mad dyke who's bitch I mistakenly tried to pick up in my freshman year in college (True Story).

Damn that really sucks, where there any other symptoms other than the tick? did it idle rough or anything?my car runs really smooth i can hardly feel any vibrations in the steering wheel i absolutly love the car but just afraid it's gonna give out on me one day, Really I wish I didn't have to give it up but the s type R I'm looking at isn't bad at all I always wanted an STR but Never thout I could afford one But I'm hoping i can negotiat a good price with the dealer. How reliable is the STR and what kind of problems can I expect? The one Im looking at has about 38K, Not very much miles on it, looks brand new inside and out

Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

David is there anyway you can record the "tick to knock" and post it here? I for one have been following this adventure for awhile now and would love to actually hear it.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

STR is not any more maintenance intensive than your S Type, or really any other car for that matter. They are pretty quiet for a 400hp blown V8, at idle anyway.

Quick Reply: thinking about buying an STR