S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning blowing hot and cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy S Type Air-Conditioning Problem

I have swapped the ambient temperature sensor which was faulty and I hoped was causing my air-con problem but it has not resolved the issue. The system was checked and re-gassed this year but now when the temperature is set to LO the system is just blowing ambient air, the air re-circulation light also comes on randomly?
Has anyone ny suggestions where I should start looking to check what is causing the problem?

Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Dccv

Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Update on Aircon not operating

Update on my Airco problem.

After returning from Spain where my Aircon packed up after being re-charged for a second time in two years I returned to Kwik Fit who re-charged the system at the end of March 2013 to get them to check why the system had stopped working (it was working when I left the centre after the work was carried out)

More or less immediately they spotted dye tat had leaked from an area on the condenser, they weed surprised that ths leak wasn't apparent when they vacuumed the system but HEY HO!!

Cost to replace condenser including parts and re-gas the system £340.........considering the cost of the condenser (c.£120) and a re-gas at c£50 along with the issue of getting the unit out of the car and replaced I guess this is a no brainier?

Anyone any idea if the job is an easy DIY?

Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Changing the condenser is not a hard job but what you need to think about is your skill level when it comes to recharging the system.

Do you have the proper gauges?

Do you have a vacuum pump?

Do you know what the refrigerant and oil capacity for your car is?

Have you ever worked on A/C before?

When changing anything on the A/C system always replace the filter dryer. They are a wear item and do slowly get saturated with moisture and dirt. It's cheap insurance! Your car is quite old and I am sure could use a new filter/dryer.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need some help with my AC everyone. I have read a lot on here and have made progress but still no AC. Scenario.... I just bought my 05 Stype a few weeks ago. The AC was blowing strictly HOT air. After reading these forums I narrowed it down to the DCCV and/or the DCCM. The DCCV was leaking so I figured it need to be changed anyways. I then check the DCCM and it had to two spots that were burnt. I have soldiered the two circuits and the HOT air was gone. But its not getting cold at all its like having the vent on.

From here i have replaced the 3 Ambient air sensors and cleaned out sensor above the ignition key. I have also verified the AC is charged and I have not found any leaks. I have checked the fuses and they are good. Anyone have advice were to look to next?
Thanks in Advance.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Get an a/c guy to check pressures operating.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:58 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Is the ac clutch actually engaging?
I can hear mine click in with the door open.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Is the ac clutch actually engaging?
I can hear mine click in with the door open.
Ok I did a little more trouble shooting today on the A/C. I did NOT here the compressor clutch engaging. I again check all fuses. Using the electrical diagram as reference I check my voltage to the pins on Relay 8 in the fuse box under the hood. I have battery voltage to pin 3 and 2. (For some reason the electrical diagram shows pin 2 going as the BG wire and pin 1 as the WG to the fuse mine are reversed.) Though after testing the relay it doesn't mater each way as long as you get power to one and ground to the other the relay will activate. The Relay tested GOOD. The problem I found I am not getting ground from the BG wire which is suppose to be getting the signal from the ECM when the AC is powered on. So I think what I need to find out is what tells the ECM to send a ground signal to the compressor clutch relay???

Another test I did was using my power probe (if you do not have one of these tools you need to get one..... it will save you hours in electrical trouble shooting Power Probe 3 III PP319FTC Red Red Powerprobe Kit with Voltmeter Accessories | eBay) to apply power to the compressor clutch via the RG wire. I could hear the clutch click but I only heard it once. Then I attempted to jump the power from pin 3 to pin 5 in the relay with a paper clip which gives the clutch constant power. I still did not get A/C and I only heard the clutch click when I initial put power to the wire. So from here I am back for more advice. I have a friend who is an auto mechanic that is going to take a look at it tomorrow with me but still please provide input. I am a skilled Harley Davidson Technician and can usually figure things out pretty easy but I have no knowledge about AC units for the obvious reason that Harleys dont have AC. After this I think I will be very experienced. Thanks again in advance!!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member

PCM uses such WOT, HiLo switch to enable a/c or not.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:17 PM

Ok did or a little more trouble shooting today. I check the AC pressure cutoff switch. I am only getting 5 volts O/Y wire which is a sensor/signal supply voltage from the ECM and on the B/G Wire I get no ground. This is saying it should be a sensor/signal ground from the ECM. Which means on the Input wire W/U I am getting no imput signal to the ECM. When I apply a ground and on the B/G wire and Power to the O/Y I hear everything kick in. But I realize I have barely any pressure on the high side. So I am taking it in to my buddy shop tomorrow for him to test the lines and recharge it. Does anyone know what voltage you should get at the Pressure Cutt off switch? Is it normally on or normally off. But tells the ECM to send power and ground to this switch?

Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member

It's a HiLo sensor, surely. I would not mess in that area as we've never had a reported failure I think. If you bypass it and the compressor runs with too little gas it will quickly need a new compressor.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

You have two switches. You are working on the low pressure switch. It prevents the A/C clutch from engaging unless there is enough pressure in the A/C system. From your description you are low on gas. If the compressor kicks in when you have the jumper in place then the switch is bad (not too likely but can happen) or most likely just too low a pressure.

You also have a high pressure switch but it vents the excessive pressure to the atmosphere and does not control the compressor. Sometimes called a blow off valve or pressure relief valve. The few times I have had one release it sounded like something exploded under the hood!

Please post what the high side and low side pressures are when the car is running. Also the outside temperature and the air temperature coming out of the vents in the dash. The gauge pressures will change with any change in Freon levels (Under filled or over filled) or temperature required. So there is a range of pressures that can be expected.

If you look in the shop manual they generally print a chart with acceptable ranges. Here is one but I am sorry it is not for the S Type. I don't have the shop manual with me right now.

Attached Thumbnails  Air Conditioning blowing hot and cold-ac-chart.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
You have two switches. You are working on the low pressure switch. It prevents the A/C clutch from engaging unless there is enough pressure in the A/C system. From your description you are low on gas. If the compressor kicks in when you have the jumper in place then the switch is bad (not too likely but can happen) or most likely just too low a pressure.

You also have a high pressure switch but it vents the excessive pressure to the atmosphere and does not control the compressor. Sometimes called a blow off valve or pressure relief valve. The few times I have had one release it sounded like something exploded under the hood!

Please post what the high side and low side pressures are when the car is running. Also the outside temperature and the air temperature coming out of the vents in the dash. The gauge pressures will change with any change in Freon levels (Under filled or over filled) or temperature required. So there is a range of pressures that can be expected.

If you look in the shop manual they generally print a chart with acceptable ranges. Here is one but I am sorry it is not for the S Type. I don't have the shop manual with me right now.

I have an appt. in about a hour to get the system checked for a leak and to have it recharged. I figure it is pointless to troubleshoot further until I get the system charged correctly and also that will stop me from causing furtehr damage. I'm really hoping its just low on freon. Not knowing much about AC units I think I have over complicated the orginal issue. Not to forget to mention the mechanic that did work on it with the last owner caused many of the problems. But I cant complain because I got the car for a steal of a price and after replacing the battery with the correct size battery, fixing the gas tank seals and the AC I will have perfectly running Jag. I will let you know what happens after I get my car back today.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (09-13-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Well all seems to be well. After getting the AC charged I have cold air. Sometimes I have to stop and tell myself to not overcomplicate things. One question I do have though is that I was told there is damage to the condensor. Is this something a shop can tell by hooking up there machine doing a leak test and recharge?

The wierd thing was the lady I set the appt up whith gave me one price, my buddy said they charged a different price and then the owner/son of the shop told me it was going to be way more then both of him when I asked him how the price was dramatically different he made no sense and say I was twisting his words against him. My wife took the car in becuase I had to work. Well they ended up not charging her at all because it took 4 1/2 hours.

I just want to thank everyone for the great help.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

The condenser can have damage to the fins but not be leaking. Look for oily stains that is a sign of a leak. Also look for yellow green stains too.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my ac does not cool

My ac does not cool only for a couple of seconds then blows hot air, we have put free on but didn't help.. please help me

Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Welcome to the forum, don't forget to post your intro in the new members section

You would be best to start a new thread for your problem with ALL the details most importantly what model/year car you have.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

2005 STR 63k miles, navigation.
Read through this whole thread here and I am having the same issue. mentioned on here several times. Air started to blow hot and would occasionally cool down at idle but would get hot again when driving. Took it to my mechanic and he found that the Heater valve was broken and Expansion tank coolant hose was leaking, had both replaced and he showed me the old heater valve, covered in dried coolant which is likely what made it fail. So both parts where replaced but am getting the same issue, hot air blowing with occasional cool air at idle. My mechanic told me it needs to be programmed correctly if not it could fry the control module?!? Was told i need to take it to a jag dealership to program this thing but have had a bad experience at the jag dealer here and would rather not take it there if I dont have to. Does anyone have any idea on this? never heard the heater valve needing to be programmed once replaced.

Any help is much appreciated, at a loss of what to do next.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

The DCCV requires no programming.

Are you aware a bad DCCV can take out the CCM or the RCCM if you have navigation?

Have you checked the RCCM since you DO have navigation? Most of the time the damage is visable but it's not 100%.

Also get under the car and remove the belly pan. Inspect the A/C compressor for yellow/green stains on the bottom.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-17-2014)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2002 S-Type a/c works great, I just can not get it to put out hot air. I have changed the thermostat and no difference. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning blowing hot and cold