S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Side Power Seat??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passenger Side Power Seat??

It will move up and down, but not forward and backwards. I can tell its getting power because it acts like it wants to move but nothing. I checked the seat and there isn't anything blocking it. What seems wierd is when I look for the part on Jagbits.com there is only 1 motor. I guess only one part of the motor can be bad?

Anyone had to replace the motor on a seat, what am i looking at?

2000 3.0 stype 80k miles.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't have a lot of experience with these, but have messed with others. It is highly unusual for there to be only one motor. That would mean some sort of gear system.
Honestly, the motors rarely go bad. What can happen over the years from "parking" in the same spot, the brushes can develop flat spots. So, I would pull the seat, check the switch, pull the motors and get them to spin, then reinstall them. It has fixed a many power seat and power window for me..

Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

What do you mean by the statement "it wants to move but nothing"...could you elaborate a bit more? You push the switch and hear a noise but no movement, or does it move a little bit?

Switch would be my first guess over a motor problem, or some type of blockage or seizure on the drive screw.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

If the motor engages but does not move the seat, like as said above, the brushes are prob stuck. You can try to push the seat the same direction as you push the botton, (worked on my truck 3 years ago, no issues saince). If that don't work, pull the motor and check it out. And like Chris said, a blockage would be my guess over a stuck motor.

If the motor engages then stops, switch or bad wire causeing it to lose power under load.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! I tried forcing the seat to move in the direction I was pressing the button but I couldn't get it to engage. That did work on my Expedition but no luck here. It's kind of hard to force it while in the seat. I might get my wife to sit in the rocket seat and me push for the backseat! LOL!

When I push the button, it makes a sound and slight push, but doesn't move the seat. I assumed it isn't the switch.

So, taking the seat out is the best option to evaluate the motor. I don't think I have a seat airbag in this year/model. Any other concerns I should be aware of? It would give me a chance clean under and around it anyway!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't bother with the "someone else in the seat/push from the back". You may actually break something.. Yikes...

At this point (if it were my car) I would pull the seat. JTIS will outline the procedure. As I recall, it's just like any other modern car. Remove the plastic caps on the rails (may be a bit of a pain for you since you don't have the luxury of moving the seat back and forth) and loosen the bolts at all four corners. Then GENTLY tilt the seat back and unplug the various connectors. The last part I would get help with... Carefully, with two persons if at all possible, tilt and remove the seat from the car. I say use two people because the seats are a bit heavy and awkward to remove...last thing you want to do is scratch up the interior.

I would then confirm the power leads for the seat..Hook up a temporary 12 volt supply... then start messing with the motors and mechanism. You may find it is just something jammed in there..