S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out my pics and tell me if I should do two tone paint!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Check out my pics and tell me if I should do two tone paint!

My car is all one color for the moment. I used color splash to fake the two tone look. 100% I plan on doing my roof in flat black because I'm getting a 2nd set of 20" flat black concave rims with a 1.3" Drop. My question is.....Should I continue the flat black on to the trunk

Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

You lost me with the roof in black. No point in asking me anything more about that option. Not a lot of people tricking their cars out quite this much on here.

But I'll be interested to see what other people say.

What's the software program you used for this? I'd like to use it for other situations like color a change contemplation.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Ummm, to each thier own...

I don't like it on the Jag. My truck is simular to what you got going on but imo it don't look good on the Jag.

You car looks great as is imo.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned

Thanks guys I wasn't to sure my self about the black on the hood and trunk. As far as the program....your going to love this, Photobucket.com. All I did was use the color splash option and color in everything but the parts I wanted black. It would have been better on Photo shop because I would have been able to do it in flat black and much more accurate but if you want to do some thing like this it was real quick and real easy.

I understand that most of the people on here are more conservative with there Jag's. I guess what I'm asking is that if I were to build an all out show car that stands out from the rest do you think this would be a good theme or should I switch up the color scheme all together.
The general look I'm going for is something like this. These are also the rims I'm getting BTW. This is where I got the idea for the red on flat black. Just picture it in my red. Notice how both cars look with the black roof.

I really wanted to do white/black like this, but not sure if I should repaint the car.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

The BMW in white just looks like a beautiful work of art to me.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

I like the look but not for the S type. I just dont think the lines of the hood allow that look to look right. It doesnt run with the lines coming back from the headlights and there really is no line coming from the grill. I think if you really want just do the roof like the white BMW. The hood just doesn't look right. The previous owner of mine tried to do some pinstripping stuff with the lines and it just wasnt working. Luckily they were stick on pinstripping so as soon as I pulled in the driveway I was out there pulling it all off.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Very different lines on the BMW with the flame sculptured look.

As for the wheels, I used to live in California and maybe wheels that oversized work there is your roads are up to snuff where you live. Does CA have any money left for roads?

Out here those would be F***ed Up in a couple of days. If you really drive the car hard might even rub? Great for show though ...

Originally Posted by catniped
Thanks guys I wasn't to sure my self about the black on the hood and trunk. As far as the program....your going to love this, Photobucket.com. All I did was use the color splash option and color in everything but the parts I wanted black. It would have been better on Photo shop because I would have been able to do it in flat black and much more accurate but if you want to do some thing like this it was real quick and real easy.

I understand that most of the people on here are more conservative with there Jag's. I guess what I'm asking is that if I were to build an all out show car that stands out from the rest do you think this would be a good theme or should I switch up the color scheme all together.
The general look I'm going for is something like this. These are also the rims I'm getting BTW. This is where I got the idea for the red on flat black. Just picture it in my red. Notice how both cars look with the black roof.

I really wanted to do white/black like this, but not sure if I should repaint the car.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

It is for show. It might even be featured in Euro Tuner before the end of the year. Your right about the hood for now. I found this art rendering somewhere. It might even be someones from here, but I'm trying to have a 1 off front end made for the car so that it looks like this. I might even slightly square the hood lines on the middle molding from the grill to the wind shield. If that were the case then I think the hood would look good in two tone. If I don't do that I'm thinking carbon fiber louvers in the hood. With the trunk lid raised up BMW M3 style. As for the rubbing the rear is getting a slight wide body to accomidate a 20x10.5" or 20x11" rear wheels. The pot holes in LA are bad but it isn't a daily driver. This car is a promotional car for My company Rushwheels.com which by the way if anyone is looking for rims or to just replace there tires Email me or call me. rushwheels@gmail.com (213) 746-4040

Old 09-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Banned

Oh for got to post the rendering of my front end. (The one on the bottom)

and here is kind of what I want the rear to look like

Old 09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Seriously fugly. Seems like a surefire way to mark you as a ricer and halve the value of the car in one easy step. It adds nothing to the lines of the car. Just my opinion.....

Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not my taste at all, looks tacky... Doesnt have that clean look to it. Thats my opinion though ....... I would rather go with the flat black than the fake Bugatti theme like ive seen people selling on ebay which we all know about

Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Lower parts of the body and lower side of the bumper covers can be painted too , rocker panels I address .

Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Sigh........

The black roof thing on BMW's is about them putting carbon fiber on the roof to save weight on the M cars...... So why pretend??? Like the racer trick of replacing the hood and trunk with carbon fiber parts.... Then people paint standard parts flat black so they can pretend to be racers..... Why oh Why do people fake stuff and think it's cool???

If you want to build a race car, then build one.....

Last edited by JOsworth; 09-09-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Sigh........

The black roof thing on BMW's is about them putting carbon fiber on the roof to save weight on the M cars...... So why pretend??? Like the racer trick of replacing the hood and trunk with carbon fiber parts.... Then people paint standard parts flat black so they can pretend to be racers..... Why oh Why do people fake stuff and think it's cool???

If you want to build a race car, then build one.....

The point is to build a custom made car that is your own personal work of art. I will always appreciate everyone's opinion from here, but there are reasons for certain styles.

You are on point with the carbon fiber. That is how the style started. Now people with street cars that are tuned or customized will do a roof in black because it blends the roof with the tinted windows giving the car contrast with the rest of the body. If I wanted a race car I would have bought a XK-R. I chose the S-type platform because up until now Jaguar has been know as the old peoples luxury car. I don't think that is fair so I want change that.

I love this pic of the S-type I would love to do a wide body design like that but I don't think it is in the cards for this project.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

[quote=catniped;403121 I chose the S-type platform because up until now Jaguar has been know as the old peoples luxury car. I don't think that is fair so I want change that.[/quote]

See, Here is why you probably won't get the buy in of many enthusiasts of the marque.. Jaguars are looked at as classic luxury cars that blend craftsman made fittings with a dash of refined performance. A perfect example is the R cars vs. the likes of the M series BMW's or AMG Benzes. While the Germans are more extreme the Jaguars are more refined or subdued. There are legitimate reasons why the R cars are not loud and boisterous beasts. If Jaguar put something like that to market, they would more than likely face some real harsh criticism.

I understand the desire to "paint on a unique canvas". The difference of opinion lies in steep tradition of preserving these cars vs. modifying them. Remember, even the "common" Jaguars are produced in numbers annually that are less than the monthly output of traditional mainstream cars. People tend to look differently at a "chopped up" one in 100,000 car vs a one in 20,000 car.

So now the blunt part... I appreciate your desire to create your custom car, and will probably be one of the most encouraging and critical of it. See, I'm a big proponent of "to each their own" but am equally a proponent of sharing an opinion on a topic that is near and dear to me.... The preservation of rare cars....

See... I could of really easily bolted all kinds of big turbos and inter-coolers and such to the really clean original Dodge 600 I stepped into over 17 years ago... Instead I saved a car that almost everyone forgot.. The American car that brought convertible American cars back... Now, I sit with a trophy from a show it was in just last week....

Old 09-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Interesting stuff.

The one with the black hood (we say bonnet) looks like someone repaired it on the cheap with a part from a scrap (junk) yard!

Start with an XF. Doesn't look like a classic jag so do anything to it.

hehe, controversial or what.......

Old 09-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Start with an XF. Doesn't look like a classic jag so do anything to it.

hehe, controversial or what.......
OK... Since you brought it up.... Give it time... At the speed that Jaguar changes design language.... In another 10 to 15 years the XF and new XJ will be looked at as "Classic" as well...And everyone will criticize them of not changing "their look" once more..

Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Not diggin it....maybe and I mean maybe if it was silver instead of red, but that's a big maybe.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  19.3 KB

Catniped....I'm not keen on the two tone paint, but thats just my opinion.

As for the pics?
The front end drawing almost vaguely seems to remind me of BMW....The rear low n mean with those quad pipes, diffuser and the side vents at the front mean I could be looking at an M3, but still looks pretty good I have to say.

To each their own my friend and please let us know which way you decide to go

Old 09-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by JimC64
As for the pics?
The front end drawing almost vaguely seems to remind me of BMW....The rear low n mean with those quad pipes, diffuser and the side vents at the front mean I could be looking at an M3, but still looks pretty good I have to say.
Teee Heee Heeee....

Folks, go to my pictures, there are sketches there. Those sketches posted in this thread are actually published Jaguar design sketches from the development of the S Type... As you can see... The "concept" sketches meant that the S could have taken a much different look...

Quick Reply: Check out my pics and tell me if I should do two tone paint!