S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost for head gasket replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cost for head gasket replacement?

What am i looking at for cost for having the head gaskets replaced on my 03 s type r? I have a small coolant leak under the intercooler and it looks to be a coolant line but i just wanted to know what the aprox cost would be. I understand about head surface condition and other varibles. I just need a ball park cost/hours for a head gasket job. If i did have this done i would go ahead and do the head stud upgrage for my furture plans for more boost. Help please?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Why would you remove the cylinder heads for a coolant line leak under the supercharger??

Just replace the leaking parts and re install the intake components.

bob gauff

Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM

I am losing coolant at pretty good rate. Its not going into the crank case as the oils is perfect and not milky. So it is going somewhere and the leak that i have found doesnt seeme to be bad enough to lose that much coolant so fast. So i was just wondering as i was looking for the worst case senario if this leak gets repaired and i am still losing coolant. Its has been really cold here so it is hard to tell if it is coming out the exhaust. There is no visiable coolant nor does it have that sweet smell if it was. That is why i asked.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I would eliminate absolutely everything else before pulling the heads. Considered a pressure tester rental from a local auto parts store?

The following users liked this post:
Stypernva (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

styper, welcome to the forums. I would rewrite what your asking abit different and then make a new thread in the "S Section" of the forum. the reasoning is mods don't like double posts.

There are alot of STR guys that really know their poop!! My money for what its worth is going to be the coolant line under the supercharger! Long job and BIG bucks at the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Stypernva (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Exclamation Cost for head gasket replacement

What am i looking at for cost for having the head gaskets replaced on my 03 s type r? I have a small coolant leak under the intercooler and it looks to be a coolant line but i just wanted to know what the aprox cost would be. I will put a pressure tester on it to try to pinpoint leak. I understand about head surface condition and other varibles effect cost. I just need a ball park cost/hours for a head gasket job. If i did have this done i would go ahead and do the head stud upgrade for my furture plans for more boost. Help please?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by STYPERNVA
What am i looking at for cost for having the head gaskets replaced on my 03 s type r? I have a small coolant leak under the intercooler and it looks to be a coolant line but i just wanted to know what the aprox cost would be. I will put a pressure tester on it to try to pinpoint leak. I understand about head surface condition and other varibles effect cost. I just need a ball park cost/hours for a head gasket job. If i did have this done i would go ahead and do the head stud upgrade for my furture plans for more boost. Help please?

Thanks!
You are more then likely leaking from the dreaded coolant line under the supercharger. Look in the FAQ's someone did a pretty good write up on the procedure for replacing it. I cant remember who it was I believe it was ttweetos (sp?). If you search you should find his write up. It is very unlikely that your head gaskets need replacing. The hose replacement will likely be cheaper then head gaskets but is still a pretty penny if you dont DIY.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

vance580 hit the coolant leak on the head. As he said; the coolant line under the s/c sprung a leak. Remove the s/c and replace with a new hose...approx. 6 hours labor.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by STYPERNVA

Thanks!

Good Luck

Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Writeup was by ttwotees and very helpful tips from others. You "only" need to remove things on top of the engine for the hose concerned. The part #s etc are in the thread.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
styper, welcome to the forums. I would rewrite what your asking abit different and then make a new thread in the "S Section" of the forum. the reasoning is mods don't like double posts.

There are alot of STR guys that really know their poop!! My money for what its worth is going to be the coolant line under the supercharger! Long job and BIG bucks at the dealer.
Jeesh, are we that predictable?

Anyhow, its identical twin is already there, so I'll move and then merge.

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Yes, we are

Go for it, Richard, and thanks. hmm, think you already did LOL

Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM

Awesome info guys. I really appreciate it. Ill keep ya posted!

Cheers