S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided on an STR and after your considered opinions.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided on an STR and after your considered opinions.....

Hi guys,

Firstly hello, as I’m new to the forum. I'm Paul and I'm based near London in the UK. I have been spending quite a lot of time recently reading through threads on this forum (and others) and there is a wealth of info on here. Great job - you have all been very helpful in my decision making process!

Why am I here? Well, I am fairly certain that I have decided to buy an STR. For many years I have driven (on and off) performance salon cars (E30 M3 for example) and executive cars (740i for example) and I am looking at going back to something a little (lot!) more interesting for my daily driver than my current euro box. I don’t do massive mileages, even with commuting; about 10 - 12k miles a year. I have always felt that, for me, it is more fun to spend x pounds on a fun car that puts a smile on your face every day than 2x pounds on a dull diesel. I can then spend the other x pounds on putting fuel in. And probably not take so much pain on depreciation as the car will already have suffered from that. Anyway, I tend to spend money on my non-everyday cars (currently building a Lola T70 and I race a Radical) as they are far less likely to get hit by some idiot in a supermarket car park resulting in me having to fix them repeatedly….. which costs time and money…..

Why the STR? Well that was a tough one. The short list was an Audi S8, a Merc E55 AMG or the STR. I counted the E55 out fairly early as I used to have the non AMG equivalent and the bodywork was terrible. I am told they all are. Also a set of new front disks for one can only come from Merc and costs about 700 quid. Bonkers. I really like the S8. It is a great car and well engineered. I am sure that in many ways, in engineering terms, it is a better car than the STR. But it lacks soul and looks like it was designed in the 80s. Well, it was I suppose. The STR on the other hand has soul and deliberately looks dated, which is ok. Hope you see what I mean. My only real concern is that some of the driver interface stuff in the STR is not quite up to the same standard as the German stuff. For example the dash board still uses a backlit LCD for temperature readout etc. Very picky I know, but the interior is the bit you look at the most….. Nevertheless, I think on balance I prefer the STR. It is amazing how a supercharger can win you over.

I am probably going to find a fairly cheap (it’s all relative) STR. I guess I am after FSH and ‘good’ condition but I’m not too worried about miles as long as they are carried well and everything works. I’m not fussed about the body work being pristine, for example as someone will just open their car door into it resulting in me wanting to spend money and time….. If it has the odd scratch to start with I am more likely to just enjoy driving the thing. So I’ll probably aim for one of the STRs that I see form time to time at around 5 to 6k pounds. At that price if the gearbox fails, for example, it isn’t the end of the world. That said, from what I read on here it sounds like the STR is no better or worse than your average used car in terms of reliability, which is fine. My E class was terrible. In contrast, my 84 Merc Cosworth never missed a beat.

As I say I have been scouring the forum and have picked up loads of really useful info. A great resource! There are a couple of queries that I haven’t found answers to though, and some stuff I'd like to clarify, and I’d be most grateful if you could enlighten me.

Do they all have the memory function for the driver’s seat? It would drive me potty if I had a car with electric seats and no memory. I had that once in a Rover 75 and when the other main user of the car is a very different height to you, repeatedly waiting an age to readjust the seat gets very tiresome. It looks to me like it was still an option but one that pretty much every car had?

Is there anything else to look out for when shopping for the car, which is STR specific? There is lots of talk on forums about electrical gremlins (as you’d expect) and water in the boot on the S in general. Anything else? It seems not, which is good news. I guess jacking each wheel off the ground in turn and checking for bush issues is a good idea?

Are there any jobs that I should do immediately upon buying a car? Such as change the gearbox oil? That is, irrespective of history, some cars just respond well to a few bits over and above the usual servicing schedule. I would expect to change the coolant, gearbox and diff oils and give it a general check over (including checking things like the shift cable attachment to the box)........

And lastly, and quite embarrassingly……. Is it possible to release the sound of that amazing engine from that constricting exhaust without spending a bucket load of cash? I am always reluctant to spend loads of cash on upgrading road cars as it is almost always money wasted. I prefer to spend it on servicing etc. But, is there a decent mod that can be done to make the exhaust note a little fruitier? Or is it just a case of replacing the backboxes with straight through silencers or bits of pipe like on some cars?

That’s about it I think. Many thanks for all of the info so far and may thanks in anticipation of your thoughts on this lot. If there is anything else that I have missed, please let me know.

Cheers.

Paul

Old 08-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I don't think I've anything more to say than people have already posted here: http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35135

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
scatcat (04-26-2017), William (01-29-2021)
Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Thanks for that mate. I just thought it might be good to get thoughts from a wider community, particularly from the other side of the pond.

Cheers.

Paul

Old 08-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Not specific to the STR, but before shelling out, make sure if the car has an autobox that you check it out AT FULL TEMPERATURE before you buy. Look out for signs of any clutchpack judder on shifting under power esp. between 2nd. and 3rd. This applies partic. if you are a press-on driver. Also listen for any lockup clutch hunting around 50 to 60mph, which is a steady grunt-grunt-grunt. We have worked out on this website (the best there is) that the claim, in the handbook, that "the autobox is sealed for life" is dangerous nonsense; dangerous to your bank account that is, if buying used with high-ish mileage. Other problems are not likely to be all that expensive, if annoying.
I fell into the trap of not checking the autobox in my 2006 S-type 2.7D AT FULL TEMPERATURE before parting with the hard-earned, leading to a lot of grief, relieved only by the posting of contributors on this Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum.
Leedsman.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks for that, mate. Much (!) appreciated.

I have an excellent list of things to check for now, as well as to do straight after buying.

Paul

Old 08-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Expect more speeding tickets or at least the temptation.

90 mph is just nothing in this car. I don't know about what it's like where you are but over here in a 65 zone 80 is flirting with danger, 75 is much safer and 90 is red meat for the officers, 100 a stirp search & public flogging. Generally, we don't have photo radar but I think you do. Just another expense to consider for a performance car.

But you know you want one, right ....

The following users liked this post:
Susie Q (12-11-2020)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 AM

One thing's for sure; you get more smiles per gallon from a Jag. than any other. No contest.
Leedsman.

Susie Q (12-11-2020)
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 AM

Over here the general rule for the cameras and the police is if you exceed the limit by more than 10% plus 2mph you're nicked. Thank the Lord for cruise control.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Much success!!!!

Good hunting.
I love my 04 STR for all the reasons you stated for buying. I love mine so much
that after having an accident for which the insurance company totaled it, I bought it back and am spending the settlement to bring it back to its
showroom glory !!!!!!!!

Susie Q (01-09-2021)
Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Paul, I'm one of the guys you may want to pick brains if you should go STR and want her to put out more than her 400 horses. As Bob indicated, the STR is already a formidable highway cruiser. You can go from 60 mph to 120 in no time. If one shifts her from speed limited 155 mph "Drive" to "5" gear she'll top out at 175+ mph. An average Joe Shmoe can 0-60 her in 5.3 seconds, 1/4 in 13.5 seconds. These times can be dramatically lowered on a budget. Just pick one up and we'll talk.

\ hyph (02-15-2021)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

And the answer is?????

Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Yep

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Expect more speeding tickets or at least the temptation.

90 mph is just nothing in this car. I don't know about what it's like where you are but over here in a 65 zone 80 is flirting with danger, 75 is much safer and 90 is red meat for the officers, 100 a stirp search & public flogging. Generally, we don't have photo radar but I think you do. Just another expense to consider for a performance car.

But you know you want one, right ....
Agrees with this statement 101%. Great power throughout the entire range. No matter if you're going 2mph, 20, 50 90 or even 120. You mash it, it's going to Move with Great Authority.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

cheers to all the STR lover , got mine just a month ago , DIdnt know what to check but just bought it cause was single owner dealer maintained , very low mile , 48k , 2003 , and rightly priced , just didnt care , luckily nothing wrong with car , just need front brakes soon ,

Old 08-13-2011, 03:16 AM

So pleased you have acquired a scalded cat without problems. In UK there is one same spec., year and mileage as yours, in BRG, asking £9G for it. It's also dual fuel, runs on LPG as well as petrol. How does the price compare? £1 = $1.62.
There have been no takers so far, it's on UK E-bay, search LPG + Jaguar.
Leedsman.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I just bought a 2006 with 43k - hoping to get to use her some. Sure is docile and well behaved around town. But as soon as you wiggle your big toe, off she goes... But you don't need to race the locals - One look and they know they'll lose!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

SimoCat, good buy! Enjoy.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Strange, I have also owned an e30 M3, 740iL as well as an E-class; now I have an STR.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

LOL! It's ok. It's human to love these machines.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Smiles per gallon..he he

Smiles per gallon! That's great! I'm gonna steal that line and tell it to everyone that says " Your not gonna save gas with that car". I have only had my STR for 5 days and haven't quit smiling yet. I'm becoming convinced spg's are better than mpg's!

The following 2 users liked this post by Ovalmaster:
bfsgross (10-24-2012), Susie Q (12-11-2020)
Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Might want to read up on the "Lurch". It's not a real problem in that it will cause the transmission to fail but it's annoying to have the odd clunks and things.

Quick Reply: Decided on an STR and after your considered opinions.....