S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 S Type V6 petrol won't start after replacement of steering lock module

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 S Type V6 petrol won't start after replacement of steering lock module

Dear All,

After replacing the steering lock module XR833K772, my 1999 S Type V6 petrol won't start.
Upon inserting the key in, the steering column is no more locked but the car does not start.
Can anyone help based on past experience with this issue please.

Best,

Franck

Old 03-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

hi
at a guess the new module needs coding to the car
no coms with the car, mean steering lock position is unknown and it will stop it starting
put old one back and I bet it will start
cheers
Joe

Old 03-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Originally Posted by bfagoss
Upon inserting the key in, the steering column is no more locked but the car does not start.
Hi Franck,

Please define "does not start". Does the starter engage normally when you turn the key, even if the engine won't run on its own? Or is there no response from the starter?

Next, please observe the PATS indicator light on the dash, at the base of the windshield. This is for the security system, which may have inhibited starter and/or fuel injector operation as a precaution. Here is how it's supposed to behave if all is good:

First, lock the car with the key fob. Press the lock button a second time to set the alarm system. The horn should chirp once. Watch the little red light. It should flash once every 3 seconds or so to show the system is armed. Now press the key fob unlock button twice to unlock all the doors. The red light should go out. Now hop in the driver's seat and turn the key to RUN (Not start yet). The red light should come on solid ONCE for about 3 seconds and then go out. If it flashes anything after that, you've got a stored fault.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:39 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Are you sure that's the right number? XR833K772 I can't find any listing for that.

Which part did you change and why? Any pictures?

And welcome to the forum, don't forget your new member intro.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:45 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Franck
You can pull the 10 amp blue fuse. No. 19 in the fuse box near driver's feet. This will prevent the steering column lock from working and the car will start reliably. Pulling out fuse 19 won't effect any other electrics (other than the steering tilt mechanism). If it doesn't start then put back the original steering module and try pulling the fuse again. As once the car recognises the old one, it should then allow you to pull the fuse and start the car. I have run my car without the steering column lock working for about 6 years without any problem. Although when I removed the fuse the car was starting so if you had the intermitent fault (sometimes starting and sometimes not) then you may have to wait until it is starting and then pull the fuse.

This should at least allow you to get it started. Then if you need to take it to a Jaguar dealer or independent that has equipment to make the new one work. I would ring and get a quote. As it is the steering column lock is a security issue, I think it will need to be progammed to the car. But I don't know this as a fact only assuming it is connected to the PATS security system.
Good luck
Paul

Last edited by Paul792; 03-10-2020 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (03-09-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
Are you sure that's the right number? XR833K772 I can't find any listing for that.

Which part did you change and why? Any pictures?

And welcome to the forum, don't forget your new member intro.
Hi Norri, sorry , here is the correct part number: XR813537.
thank you for your reply.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Paul792
Hi Franck
You can pull the 10 amp blue fuse. No. 19 in the fuse box near driver's feet. This will prevent the steering column lock from working and the car will start reliably. Pulling out fuse 19 won't effect any other electrics (other than the steering tilt mechanism). If it doesn't start then put back the original steering module and try pulling the fuse again. As once the car recognises the old one, it should then allow you to pull the fuse and start the car. I have run my car without the steering column lock working for about 6 years without any problem. Although when I removed the fuse the car was starting so if you had the intermitent fault (sometimes starting and sometimes not) then you may have to wait until it is starting and then pull the fuse.

This should at least allow you to get it started. Then if you need to take it to a Jaguar dealer or independent that has equipment to make the new one work. I would ring and get a quote. As it is the steering column lock is a security issue, I think it will need to be progammed to the car. But I don't know this as a fact only assuming it is connected to the PATS security system.
Good luck
Paul
Thank you Paul for your reply. Jaguar has confirm that this particular part does not need to be programmed tothe car.
Also, I've tried the the fuse 19 trick without success.
I guess there must be a procedure to deactivate /clear the steering lock message on the dashboard.

Best,

​​​​​​​Franck

Old 03-15-2020, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Hi Franck,

Please define "does not start". Does the starter engage normally when you turn the key, even if the engine won't run on its own? Or is there no response from the starter?

Next, please observe the PATS indicator light on the dash, at the base of the windshield. This is for the security system, which may have inhibited starter and/or fuel injector operation as a precaution. Here is how it's supposed to behave if all is good:

First, lock the car with the key fob. Press the lock button a second time to set the alarm system. The horn should chirp once. Watch the little red light. It should flash once every 3 seconds or so to show the system is armed. Now press the key fob unlock button twice to unlock all the doors. The red light should go out. Now hop in the driver's seat and turn the key to RUN (Not start yet). The red light should come on solid ONCE for about 3 seconds and then go out. If it flashes anything after that, you've got a stored fault.
Hi Kr98664 and thank you for your prompt reply. By "does not start", I mean the starter DOES NOT engage when you turn the key.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,400 Posts

Originally Posted by bfagoss
Hi Kr98664 and thank you for your prompt reply. By "does not start", I mean the starter DOES NOT engage when you turn the key.
Making progress. The security system may not be happy and is now trying to protect the car from theft. What is the PATS indicator light doing?

See post #3 above for how the indicator light normally behaves.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...0/#post2201714

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (03-16-2020)