Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 2000 S-Type Transmission Valve Body Rebuild FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 AM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink DIY 2000 S-Type Transmission Valve Body Rebuild FAQ

Hey team, it’s just me again with another DIY, this time I’m rebuilding my valve body and I just thought I would share, just incase any fellow team members has to perform this themselves..

Quick back story:
I kept receiving a P0745 = Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction code, and the car was getting the shakes around 35-45 mph, ie I was losing 3 gear!..

Apparently this is common problem with the ford 5r55n trans, the shops will all recommend it time to replace the trans @ $2,500+/- .. WRONG!.. It’s just time to spend $7.50 on a new 4-3 “prestroke valve spring and about 5 -6hrs of labor..

So this is how I did it, for what its worth..

Raise the car and support all side with jack stands

Drain the trans fluid, remove the oxygen sensor connector block and disconnect the Sensor, then you can remove the pan.

Now it should look something like this, remove the filter.

Ok here the bottom of the VB looking up with the filter removed, now we need to remove the following components:
  • Pressure switch
  • Reverse servo
  • Solenoid body
  • Valve body plate and gasket
  • Control body Separator plate
  • Remove the remainder of the bolts and drop the valve body
IE.. Everything in the pic above comes off..

P.S.
Yes.. I know.. I know.. JagV8 would add in arrows and notes referencing each part, well.. He’s a better man than I am.. lol.. sorry..

Last edited by tdc; 01-14-2011 at 01:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by tdc:
Amadauss (03-28-2012), Enthusiast (01-10-2011), rbhostet (07-25-2014), Zippy8792 (03-27-2012)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 AM
tdc

Here’s the valve body bottom side

Upper side

Remove the 3 bolts that hold on the VB gasket and remove the gasket

Ok now it’s time to take out the parts you purchased, I decided to rebuild my valve body since I was here, you don't have to.

Now you simply push-in the valves and pull the retaining pin / clips and gently remove the existing components.

Here’s what I’ve got going on

And here’s my problem!... just as the internet “foretold” hahaha this little cheep $7.00 spring almost cost me $2500..

Last edited by tdc; 01-10-2011 at 02:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tdc:
Amadauss (03-28-2012), glynn (03-27-2012), rbhostet (07-26-2014)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:30 AM
tdc

Now reinstall everything in the reverse order it was removed.

Time to refill the trans… this is no biggie at all.. simply remove the center screw on the trans drain plug and then unscrew the trans fill screw (just above the pan on the driver side) and fill it up.. once oil starts to come out the drain plug center, add the plug and now your about 2 quarts away for it coming out the fill whole..

Once your trans is filled, replace the screw and while it’s still on jack stands, start it up, push on the brake and run it through the gears, this will suck up some oil.

Let it run for a while and then recheck your fluid level..

Once your confident your trans is full, double check everything, remove the jack stands and go for a trouble free test drive..

Builder note:
The only thing that surprised was when I removed the VB from the trans (1) spring fell out.. this is the main spring.. don't lose it and put it back when you reassembling the VB to the trans

When you remove the VB gasket from the VB, please look inside the VB, you’ll see two small ball *****, don't lose them!..

When your reassembling the VB parts, PLEASE do not over tighten!.. It’s only 10 MN, snug tight!..

Total project length for me was 5 hrs
Total cost for me was just under $100 for everything oil included

These were the tools used for the project

I hope you found this helpful

Thanks for your time everybody and have a great week

Tdc..

The following 5 users liked this post by tdc:
Amadauss (03-28-2012), glynn (04-01-2012), jagged77 (08-25-2018), JimC64 (01-12-2011), rbhostet (07-26-2014)
Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks for this write up , it will be a FAQ if a similar job already not tacked

Old 01-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

tdc, congrats on successfully under taking this project and saving yourself $2,500.00!! Thank you for posting up the pictures.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice job!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Well done....

Old 01-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very well done, Bravo!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Very nice job. I love saving money and doing things myself its like being one with the cat.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 AM
tdc

Originally Posted by cadillac
Thanks for this write up , it will be a FAQ if a similar job already not tacked

Your more than welcome sir and thank you.. I hope helps out someone else one day..

Originally Posted by joycesjag
tdc, congrats on successfully under taking this project and saving yourself $2,500.00!! Thank you for posting up the pictures.

Thank you.. I was really happy to find out that I didn’t have to spend the big bucks.. I just hope it helps save someone else some money too..

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Nice job!

Thank you.. It did take a little longer than I expected, but it's my first time, so I had to go slow and gentle..

Originally Posted by Jon89
Well done....

Thank you Jon...

Originally Posted by DittoGlen
Very well done, Bravo!

Thank you.. That's actually what my wallet was saying too.. lol.. It does feel good not to haft to pay the mechanic anymore and I'm learning too.. So its kind of a win-win..

Originally Posted by vance580
Very nice job. I love saving money and doing things myself its like being one with the cat.

Excellent another “Renaissance man”.. Thank you sir.. I did save tons of $$$.. I'm pretty proud of myself for that alone..

Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by tdc
Yes.. I know.. I know.. JagV8 would add in arrows and notes referencing each part, well.. He’s a better man than I am.. lol.. sorry..
Hey! No complaints from me!
I'm rubbish at doing photos let alone arrows, so rest easy. I'd be too scared to do what you've done, too! Great stuff, btw.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  19.3 KB

TDC --Top Man.....great write up and post and thanks so much for sharing

These posts of yours are getting to become a bit of a habit......careful or you'll be going into the hall of fame with all the other guys with so many of these type of posts to their credit.
Most of them have already saved hundreds of members thousands and thousands of $$$$$$

Kudos to you

Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM
tdc

Originally Posted by JimC64

TDC --Top Man.....great write up and post and thanks so much for sharing

These posts of yours are getting to become a bit of a habit......careful or you'll be going into the hall of fame with all the other guys with so many of these type of posts to their credit.
Most of them have already saved hundreds of members thousands and thousands of $$$$$$

Kudos to you

Thank you Jim, but I don’t think I'm even close to that honor.. I'm just extremely fortunate to be here.. Well that and my dam car, she keeps braking down.. So.. I guess it's a win - win hahaha

Have a great weekend and thank you again for the kind but undeserving words..

Shaun

Originally Posted by jagv8
Hey! No complaints from me!
Originally Posted by jagv8
I'm rubbish at doing photos let alone arrows, so rest easy. I'd be too scared to do what you've done, too! Great stuff, btw.

Thanks Jagv8.. IDK.. It was either you and Joycesjag that had all of the neat arrows and boxes pointing out all of the parts.. once I saw that.. I was like.. OOohhh man.... I'm not doing that.. hahahaaa..

Old 01-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I did exactly the same on my 2001 S-Type, except that I added the SK Shift Kit and a new Solenoid Block in addition to the Sonax springs. Solved a number of issues with the 5R55N - shifts like a perfectly working transmission now. If you are starting to have troubles with the 5R55N, I recommend doing this as it should ensure an extended life for the transmission.

Last edited by Christian 96 XJR; 01-16-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Question...hopefully not a stupid 1

Ok 1.you are the f'ing man! Lol I'm replacing my 4-3 pre stroke valve this week!!! 2. Ok I ordered my spring a gasket and a filter. Now I see you have multiple springs out. which is the one I'm going for? Is there anyone who can tell me which one it is on the pic? Again thank you for the detailed procedure!!

Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by tdc
Joycesjag that had all of the neat arrows and boxes pointing out all of the parts..

I wish I were that computer savvy!! I use good old fashioned masking tape and a Sharpie. Maybe some day someone can tell (inform) me on what program does all the nice and pretty arrows and such.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FireMedicJ
Ok 1.you are the f'ing man! Lol I'm replacing my 4-3 pre stroke valve this week!!! 2. Ok I ordered my spring a gasket and a filter. Now I see you have multiple springs out. which is the one I'm going for? Is there anyone who can tell me which one it is on the pic? Again thank you for the detailed procedure!!
I think the varous PDFs & web sites have been posted several times so Search should find them. Otherwise google is good

sonnax will be one site

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM
tdc

Originally Posted by cstich
I did exactly the same on my 2001 S-Type, except that I added the SK Shift Kit and a new Solenoid Block in addition to the Sonax springs. Solved a number of issues with the 5R55N - shifts like a perfectly working transmission now. If you are starting to have troubles with the 5R55N, I recommend doing this as it should ensure an extended life for the transmission.

Ahh.. That’s sounds like something I would have done if I had known.. Well.. there’s always next time..

Thanks for the tips..

Tdc..

Originally Posted by FireMedicJ

Hahahaa.. Hey thanks sir.. Noo.. please ask away.. How can I help.
1. Thanks and best of luck.. it should take about 4-5 hours.. go slow and you'll be fine.. Please freel free to PM me if you get stuck.

2, Well.. if you just looking to replace your 3-4 pre stroke then you would want to get (56947J-S1) Sonnex part number. I replaced the rest of the springs since I was there.. you dont have too.. Here's a place to get the spring if you still need it? http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code =S46741G-3&Category_Code=5R55Nvbkits

Here's something else that might help too..

Hope that helps..

tdc..

Last edited by tdc; 01-18-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo i feaking love you TDC you have been so dam helpful. I did it all today in like 4 hours but i need quick help with what may be the eaiest part, but yet i want to make sure im right.....where is the fill hole exactly?? i see i nut with a bolt going through it on the driver side above the pan is that it? again thank you soooo0o0oo0o dam much!!! please reply asap anyone and everyone

forgot to mention i see two screws with an bolt on it one closer to the engine....and another right by the black sensor a bit higher up...if its one of those please let me know thank you.

Last edited by FireMedicJ; 01-27-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quick Reply: DIY 2000 S-Type Transmission Valve Body Rebuild FAQ